New Opeth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Opeth

Its not that new. From September. Entitled HERITAGE.

Its fantastic. I love this band. They are almost breaking sonic ground.

Big fan.

My wife bought it for me a couple weeks ago. I really love it. But it is pretty far removed from their earler stuff. But not really. they always had their light/dark trademark contrast. Now it's just more of the light...but still very dynamic.

I'm not used to hearing blatant strat tones in Opeth..that's was the first standout for me. I've been a fan since 'My Arms Your hearse' came out in '98.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

It's a 2011 love letter to 70's prog. I like it. I could totally understand longtime Opeth fans hating it though.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paFSKfPaz30
        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Been loving it since September.
          I like EL34s.

Comment

As a long time Opeth fan, I respect Mikael's urge to go and do a 70's prog album but I don't really dig it. I'm not saying it's bad, just not for me. I didn't like Damnation either, give me Still Life or My Arms, those albums were a real innovations in the prog/death metal hybrid that influenced a lot of people.
            I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
              It's a 2011 love letter to 70's prog. I like it.
              nicely put.

I dig it too.
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Well, at least Lou Reed is not on this ..Loupeth.

Megareed..

WTF..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

It's a great album and I think there's more to it than a tribute to '70s prog. Take Slither, it could be a (better) outtake from DP's Perfect Strangers!

Comment

Originally posted by surfreak View Post
                    It's a great album and I think there's more to it than a tribute to '70s prog. Take Slither, it could be a (better) outtake from DP's Perfect Strangers!
                    I thought the same thing with that song.

Comment

I thought the album was pretty good, as long as I don't think of it as an Opeth album. I really miss the more "metal" aspects of Opeth.

I was also really thrown off by all those Strats, and I can probably name one other person who shat himself upon listening to the disc:

Paul Reed Smith.

Both guitar players in Opeth now have PRS signature models, both of which are about as far from a Strat as you can get. What's Paul Reed Smith (the man) got to be thinking of this? I know they played at the Experience PRS this year. Did they use their PRS's or haul out the Strats for these songs?

I know, in the big scheme of life it doesn't amount to anything important, but it seems like a really strange business decision.
                      The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Comment

I fucking loved Deliverance when it came out, it turned me into a huge Opeth fan boy, I even thought about getting a big "O" tattoo.
                        Thank fuck I never, I've thought every album they've done since has been a bag of shite.
                        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre View Post
                          I fucking loved Deliverance when it came out, it turned me into a huge Opeth fan boy, I even thought about getting a big "O" tattoo.
                          I've got one, but I did it after morning rise came out in 1998. I never thought such an extreme band would become so well known.
                          I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

I hate death metal and that screamo shit but I love Damnation and Heritage

Comment

mikael's been using strats on every album as far as ive read, and he was using them live as well till i believe BWP, those were the days when peter used jacksons as well , but now live they use the split coil on their PRS to get any stratty tones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ASwqPPNLck

theres a little vid of them using the strat and jackson \m/

Comment

Working...
                              X