New Megadeth 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Megadeth 13

I'm not really the type of individual that goes out of his way to make a suggestion or recommendation.
    I take reviews as they are, just an opinion and if it strikes a cord with me I'll check into it.

Megadeth's new release 13 is pretty good.
    I will go buy this CD and I haven't bought a CD since 2002 or so.

This is a pretty solid rockish metalish album.
    The music is consistently good throughout, at least to me it is.
    Its definitely the CD of choice for the next several weeks or so, especially in the car.

When you get the chance check it out.
    You may like it.
    If you do, great and if you don't, well good for you.
    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Soap,

My wonderful fiance bought me this cd for my birthday. YES, I still buy cd's ....

Overall, it's a solid release. Broderick is a phenomenal guitarist with awesome chops, however somewhat of a one trick pony...... with the exception of millenium of the blind(somewhat Poland like).

Anyway, most albums take me a minute to digest and a 'proper' stereo to BLAST them with. First couple of listening s suggest it's aight!
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

I love it. I listen to music on my 1983 Fischer CD rack with tower speakers in my 9X9 temple of BIll Z Bub. I love 13!! My only complaint with it is the leads are thin in the mix, especially during the intro ..making me strain a bit. Ironically I went to my second favorite place, my pooper ..which is right next to my temple and It seemed like I could hear the guitars better.

Honestly..I must give credit to Shawn Drover..what an amazing perforance and signiture sound he has. I'd pick him to be my drummer in a heartbeat. Dave sure knows how to pick them. Never doubt for a second that he doesn't. These days I think it would more of on honor to be Dave's pick than Ozzy's. Ozzy is just a media/fan circus and has been for the last 15 years or so. Dave still gives a fuck and sounds like it! Yes, he's very serious about not taking himself seriously. Ozzy is the antithesis to that...AKA Queen Whore Sharon O. That bitch!

I used to think I was a bit more polished than Dave, and at one time I would say that's true. I don't think so anymore. Chris B and Glen Drover seem to really liight a fire under his ass..he's playing better than ever!

What I like is that they're is a some radio friendly true metal and hard rock on this. There is NO reson whatsoever that can't happen. Unless MegaDave didn't rub the right palms or something. He did during Cryptic Writings..and this is far better!
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'm digging it a lot.

I agree with ya Bill, there are definitely some tunes that could find success on radio if they get play.

Comment

I havent bothered with it yet, what Ive heard so far has been okay but not amazing. I like Endgame a lot, but Broderick's shitty solos really, really piss me off (being a major Marty fan). The one in How The Story Ends being a prime example. You can sweep pick, alright, nice one, now learn how to use one fuckin note instead of forty.
          I'm gonna go listen to 13 on Youtube now though, I'll probably end up getting it although I listened to Rust In Peace on Monday and that album shits all over anything Megadeth have ever done, I think Dave musta sold his soul to Satan to create that masterpiece.
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'm going to disagree and say it's pretty weak.

Where's the riffs? Where's the insane playing?

This isn't as bad as post RIP stuff but there's nothing special. The remix of Sudden Death is pretty bad...the single version had leads you could actually hear and no flanger on the guitar after the intro.

The album art is really really really bad.

So much wasted potential. I love Megadeth and I love parts of these songs but I think they really held back and didn't unleash the beast.

If your name is Megadeth you have to live up to it.

Comment

It took me a few listens... the first few times I didnt even really "listen" to it when it was playing in the background. Then I listened a few times at work through headphones, and finally some of the songs started getting stuck in my head. Thats how I know when I really like something, when at a random time, a song will pop into my head, maybe a specific part of a song. Then I start to like the songs I didnt like in the first place. I went out and bought it the other day, and I do NOT usually buy CD's.

Bands today need to realize that pirating isnt going away... the only way to get people to pay money for your music is to make music worth paying for. 13 is one of those... its no Endgame by a long shot, but its still pretty damn decent.
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I was giving this a spin after you guys recommended it, then it hit me; why did they put two old songs and some other previously released stuff on the record? Is Dave running out of riffs or something? I also don't like the guitar sounds on the past few Megadeth albums, up untill risk Megadeth records sound progressively more modern, now it seems that they sound more vintage.

Apart from these issues, I think it's a solid album, and Broderick is doing better than he was. I'll be spinning it for a while.
                I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

I agree that I like Endgame better but I think it's still a good album. I picked it up last week and have listened to it several times so far. I also thought that the lead tone was a little thin but I still liked the notes being played. I personally think that Broderick is a monster player! I saw them twice on the last tour and he blew me away both times! Plus I got the Nevermore DVD that he played on as well as the RIP live and Big 4 DVD's. He more than delivered on every performance in my opinion. What I like about this album are the riffs that Dave just hammers you with unexpectedly in the middle of some of the songs. The song will be playing and then these riffs kick in and I catch my 40 year old self head banging in the truck on the way to work! HA HA! Good stuff!

Comment

Dave running out of tunes/creativity? I doubt it, but hey who really cares? Not me.

Gotta remember this band is still fairly fresh in the writing area.
                    And I see some growth since End Game as far as writing is concerned, even if there are some old tunes saved, revisited, tweaked and polished for final release.

Possibly he see's the metal market opening up abit and is taking advantage of it as well.
                    Meaning, kick it out while you can and make some money from it.

I actually like 13 better than End Game, but that's just me.

To me, it just good to see some old farts kicking out some rockish metalish tunes.
                    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Take into consideration we only had this for about a week..amoung much other stuff.

I was kinda bummed about Diver Down being like a cover album..but "Hang 'em High" is fuggin' awesome!!! I'd give my Left one if VH put out something half as good as Diver Down.

Kudos for Megadeth throwin' down as good as this. They NAIL the old shit and then some.
                      Last edited by horns666; 11-11-2011, 01:19 AM.
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Diver Down is a fucking awesome album!
                        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'm sitting here watching Megadeth on behind the music. The thing going for them is Dave still has something to prove - he still has the fire unlike his buddies in Metallica. I'll pick this up with some other Megadeth CD's to fill out my collection (looks like I might only be missing End Game).

Looking at my Megadeth vs. Metallica collection, Megadeth is certainly winning.

Comment

Meatlica wins in commercial sales all day, and truly have a handfull of great tunes.... As a guitarist, there is really no comparison between the two bands(only exception being that Megadave, has failed to have a sweet harmony guitar solo the likes of master). Riffage, structure and fucking time have proved(at least to me) that Dave was and is the leading force in American Heavy metal. Sure he faltered along the way, risk anyone..........

The string of talent that ran through MegaDave was truly awesome, as a major Poland fan boy(yup), Young (sucked ), Friedman( really, words are not needed here), Pitrelli(surprised at how well he did for being Pitrelli), Broderick (almost as technicly proficient as Marty, maybe even more - however, much less original(so much seems to be regurgitated)...

BUT, hell yeah... I spent all Friday at work with it on a loop - a very solid album, some great riffs, and some really choice breaks..........
                            Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

I agree with you Jayster. Had is blasting as I "found" my garage again.
                              I like it, alot of fire in the playing. I am not good enough to determine who is playing what just yet, as this the first CD of the MegaDave's in years that I have listened to. I know the solo's were good stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X