Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dream Theater's new album?

Anyone else under-whelmed by it?

Dare I say it, but John Petrucci is the weak link this time as opposed to the singer in albums past. He just does not have any monster-hook riffing going on and his guitar-playing is more like "point A to point B" while the bassist and keys carry the songs. It's like he was mentally absent during song-writing.

Didn't realize it was out yet. Gotta check it out. That and the new Machine Head album.

Comment

Interesting. I haven't picked it up yet, but I will soon. I did read that John produced the album and wrote most (if not all) the lyrics since Portnoy left.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Have it! listened to it once ..won't listen again. Very unispired and uninspiring.

Joe and frustrated DT, I'll post a few links to fresh bands that really carried the ball..it'll put a smile on old DT fans.

Ironically, I thought LaBrie sounds great. I was never a big fan of his vocals. His last couple solo records sound great too.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
          Have it! listened to it once ..won't listen again. Very unispired and uninspiring.

Joe and frustrated DT, I'll post a few links to fresh bands that really carried the ball..it'll put a smile on old DT fans.

Ironically, I thought LaBrie sounds great. I was never a big fan of his vocals. His last couple solo records sound great too.
          I agree he does sound great, but thanks to Petrucci being weak this album comes across as a synth-prog album. I can't think of a single riff in it that's memorable or attention-grabbing, which is unusual for Petrucci.

Comment

Again, I had the same exact reaction to a piece of cra, I mean music that Bill had......

Got the New DT and 'thrax disks the same day, listenned to both start to finish, and the DT hasn't left the case since, while Worship Music hasn't left the player.

'Thrax needed Belladonna, DT needs Portnoy. Mangini is great, but Portnoy was obviously driving the DT bus.
            Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Originally posted by VoiceX3 View Post
              Again, I had the same exact reaction to a piece of cra, I mean music that Bill had......

Got the New DT and 'thrax disks the same day, listenned to both start to finish, and the DT hasn't left the case since, while Worship Music hasn't left the player.

'Thrax needed Belladonna, DT needs Portnoy. Mangini is great, but Portnoy was obviously driving the DT bus.

I'd have to disagree and think DT needs Petrucci, but Petrucci isn't really in top form on this album. Mangini the new drummer is great IMO.

Comment

JP is too busy shooting 'roids into his penis and lifting weights.

Comment

I think the record lacks balls. The overall sound is a bit soft. Everyone plays well but there's too many sappy ballady-type singing parts. None of the riffs are big and ballsy. There's a few good moments but it's a pretty boring record. I listened to it then I listened to Black Clouds. Huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                    JP is too busy shooting 'roids into his penis and lifting weights.
                    Hey, it worked for George Lynch didn't it?
                    Jackson KV2
                    Jackson KE1T
                    Jackson KE1F
                    Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
                      Hey, it worked for George Lynch didn't it?
                      Yeah, it worked out really well, eh? ---> http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/117...ighlight=Levin
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

here's something for discouraged DT fans..

The most obvious of bands..

>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8gA1ooxw0I

>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG8or...feature=relmfu

"Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

here's something for discouraged DT fans..

The most obvious of bands..

>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8gA1ooxw0I

>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG8or...feature=relmfu

Hell yeah! The new album, Iconoclast, kicks much ass, too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7oIlIryhas
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

the ones that really did it for me were Lost Not Forgotten, Breaking all Illusions, and On the Backs of Angels. those were the 3 best off the album. Lost not forgottens intro is almost as, if not just as, and maybe possibly more complex than the dance of eternity. its insane to try to count that many time sigs in that fast of a section O.O
                            Guitars:
                            Jackson Kevin Bond RR Green
                            Jackson Kevin Bond RR Red
                            Grover Jackson Dan Spitz RR
                            Epi Thunderhorse Explorer

Amps:
                            Modded Jet City 100HDM
                            custom 4x12

"Moran!"-augistin01(maker of B.C. Rich Deathangels and Defiler of one poor RR1)

Comment

Although it has its boring moments but somehow I enjoyed this album more than Symphony X's Iconoclast. DT got back to their intricate progressive elements, while SX focused more on the redundant metal standards.
                              Drumming wise, I also think Mike Mangini did well on this album, however I still miss Portnoy's driving force and fills.
                              -Metal wouldn't be the same without Pointy guitars-

Comment

Working...
                              X