Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How mad do luthiers get when signed artists play another brand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How mad do luthiers get when signed artists play another brand?

I've seen Dave Gilmour play a Gretsch Firebird, James Hetfield play his "Maltese cross" Gibson Les Paul, Dave Murray play a Les Paul, and Alex Lifeson play a Telecaster and PRS while having their own sig models elsewhere.

I've always wondered if there's a rage-gasm over it from the guitar-makers or if they just generally try to blow it off. I know ESP in particular does get mad and tries to get artists to play ESP's exclusively except when recording. Then artists are free to use anything they want so as long as those artists are seen with their ESP's for ESP to get the credit for the recorded sound qualities.

Still, with one of the most expensive production guitars ever built by Fender, Fender has got to be cheesed when Gilmour in particular picks up something else........

These kind of deals work with contracts and with big players like Gilmour and Hetfield, i think the terms of the contracts are pretty flexible if they want to keep them on their roster.
    It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
    ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

plus fender owns gretsch, so at gilmour is still in "the family"....
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

If it were the case that I could only be "seen" with certain guitars or whatever, and I was as rich as any of those guys, I'd be like "Nah, I'll buy my own guitars, thanks."

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
          If it were the case that I could only be "seen" with certain guitars or whatever, and I was as rich as any of those guys, I'd be like "Nah, I'll buy my own guitars, thanks."
          A lot of Euro-metal guitarists flat-out live off the ESP money in between summer festival tours on top of getting expensive gear for free. Plus artists like Steve Vai no doubt see a huge chunk of their income come from their sig model guitars. Most signed artists are not rich enough to be able to play what they want in spite of deals with certain makers.

Comment

write great songs and sell tons of albums and you can tell the guitar companies to fuck off i'll use what i want.
            Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
              write great songs and sell tons of albums
              You do realise that nowadays these two things are mutually exclusive right?
              It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
              ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Originally posted by Sephiroth View Post
                A lot of Euro-metal guitarists flat-out live off the ESP money in between summer festival tours on top of getting expensive gear for free. Plus artists like Steve Vai no doubt see a huge chunk of their income come from their sig model guitars. Most signed artists are not rich enough to be able to play what they want in spite of deals with certain makers.
                Did you honestly take "any of those guys" to mean that I am under the impression that all guitarists who have an endoresement deal are rich?

I'm talking about Gilmour, Hetfield, Murray, and Lifeson.

Comment

i was poking around fender's site the other day and noticed that dave murray is not a fender artist. even the description of his sig model makes it seem more like it is a "tribute" model based on dave's loyalty to fender. i mean, we all know he mostly plays strats anyway, but i still found it interesting that he is not listed as an artist....
                  GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

It depends on what their contracts state. They are all different ranging from exclusively using the endorsers equipment to never having to use the endorsers equipment.
                    Some only have to use the gear at clinics and trade shows. Some.. for advertising... some live exclusively and some for only a percentage of a live gig and even then it varies from photo shoots pre or post gigs to certain songs only.

Comment

I would pay some bands not to play Jackson's!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bratfink View Post
                        I would pay some bands not to play Jackson's!!!
                        Because you wouldn't want a substandard band being seen with a great guitar??
                        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

All depends on the contract. And the big guns are likely gonna get more freedom.

Comment

they get this mad.

"clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                              they get this mad.

I see you're talking about Ibanez.
                              You paid for Platinum..But you're gonna get Gold! - horns666

Comment

Working...
                              X