Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw Dokken last week

Local club. Holds about 300 people.
    Band sounded great. Don can't sing anymore and he can't hit any of the high notes or even sing in the key of the original song but he is a legend and it didn't matter to me. I love the band.
    I just want to talk about John Levin
    He played 2 charvels, a black one and a skull graphic one. I have seen them in magazines and photos. Regarding his amp, I was really close and it looked like he was playing out of a TSL100 full stack.
    His tone and playing were outstanding. He really nails the George Lynch style.
    He plays with a ton and I mean a TON of delay. I would say multiple delays actually.
    Very basic guitar rig and it sounded great. I would like to know what effect processors he uses because they are the key to nailing the George Lynch tone and feel of his guitar solos. You could never play those solo's dry or remotely dry. They need a TON of delay.
    Possibly the most effected guitar tone I have ever heard live. It sounded great though and really nailed the original Lynch tone.
    It was cool to see one of my favorite bands of all time in a local club. I play at this club myself.

Cool. Glad you enjoyed it. I love Jon's playing on the last two Dokken cds. He really rips it up. And as you mentioned, great tone. In fact I was just listening to Hell To Pay yesterday and wondering what rig he used to record his guitar parts because it sounds so good.
    Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
    www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

Cool you enjoyed it for the most part. Is Pilson with them doing any vocals?

I wonder what kind of feedback Don gets from his inner circle nowadays? Just a bunch of ass-kissing "You were so on tonight Don....like it was 1987 all over again" or something?

Or do they sit him down and make him listen to the isolated vocals and say "Don, don't take this the wrong way but you're playing the Schmidt/Wilson wedding next Saturday."
      Jackson KV2
      Jackson KE1T
      Jackson KE1F
      Jackson SL1

Comment

I thought Levin used Splawn quick rods?????
        "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
          Cool you enjoyed it for the most part. Is Pilson with them doing any vocals?
          Jeff Pilson has been out of the band for several years now. He wasn't a part of the last few cd releases. He's been playing in Foreigner since he left Dokken.
          Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
          www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
            Local club. Holds about 300 people.
            Band sounded great. Don can't sing anymore and he can't hit any of the high notes or even sing in the key of the original song but he is a legend and it didn't matter to me. I love the band.
            I just want to talk about John Levin
            He played 2 charvels, a black one and a skull graphic one. I have seen them in magazines and photos. Regarding his amp, I was really close and it looked like he was playing out of a TSL100 full stack.
            His tone and playing were outstanding. He really nails the George Lynch style.
            He plays with a ton and I mean a TON of delay. I would say multiple delays actually.
            Very basic guitar rig and it sounded great. I would like to know what effect processors he uses because they are the key to nailing the George Lynch tone and feel of his guitar solos. You could never play those solo's dry or remotely dry. They need a TON of delay.
            Possibly the most effected guitar tone I have ever heard live. It sounded great though and really nailed the original Lynch tone.
            It was cool to see one of my favorite bands of all time in a local club. I play at this club myself.
            My band just opened for them and cinderella a week before you saw them. Don was beyond awful and looked like he just got out of bed.

levin does lynch better than lynch, haha. He was indeed playing dsls or tsls. and it looked to me like he had just a pedalboard- no real rack to speak of. The band sounded great, and no (@larz) pilson is not with them.
            Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

They just played at a local county fair last night here in CA. The show was free with fair admission. A bunch of us were commenting on how sad that sounded. No, I didn't go, since it is a crap fair, and I saw Dokken back in the 80's with Lynch opening for Priest, and I was not impressed then, and assumed it couldn't have gotten anything but worse since.
              My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Originally posted by BayRocker View Post
                They just played at a local county fair last night here in CA. The show was free with fair admission. A bunch of us were commenting on how sad that sounded. No, I didn't go, since it is a crap fair, and I saw Dokken back in the 80's with Lynch opening for Priest, and I was not impressed then, and assumed it couldn't have gotten anything but worse since.
                PUPPET SHOW

and

spinal tap

"clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                  puppet show

and

spinal tap

ahahahahahaha!!
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I opened for them a few weeks ago, he had 2 Charvels (Dimartini and So-Cal) and two Marshall jcm2000 stacks (one was on). I didn't see his pedalboard but he played his ass off.
                    Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

My gf was at that show...haha.

Comment

everybody keeps talking about how bad Don's voice is now. I agree, its god aweful and I feel bad for him. He can't sing in any of the original keys and he really does sound a little like Lemmy from Motorhead. Good thing the entire crowd can hit all the notes and knows all the words. Regardless of Don's vocal condition live (which was never good even in the 80's), Dokken rocks and Don is a legend and wrote some of the best metal songs of all time. John Levin rocks on the guitar. I could take or leave the bass player. He was good but he's no Jeff Pilson.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                          Don is a legend and wrote some of the best metal songs of all time.
                          To become a legend you need to die in your prime or you will fade into hasbeenness (:think

Don is probably like some 70 year old ex-bikini model, dropping the robe for her own comfort while everyone else wishes she'd stop doing that
                          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                            hasbeenness (:think
                            I'll help out with the word, Nightbat: try "obscurity"
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Did they kill any chickens?

Comment

Working...
                              X