Iron Maiden L.A.D.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron Maiden L.A.D.

I went out last night and got the DVD to the classic "Live After Death". I haven't seen it since about 1987 on vhs of course. Stayed up way too late last night watching the show and extras. The dvd was a bit grainy and the sound didn't quite match the CD. The CD sounds more arena live w/crowd. It's still a pleasure to watch.

I always knew Murray played Strats but I never paid attention to details until last night. The black Strat I saw him using a 2 H PU configuration - obviously custom or modded. Then I read the features about their equipment and it listed his Strats as 57' and other vintage years. I found it almost horrifying that a pro would mod vintage guitars. Then I thought to myself, perhaps back in the mid 80's, an original 57' 62' or early 70's Strat wasn't all that special like they are today. I wonder if he kicks himself in the ass today for altering those old Strats?

BTW - anyone here transfer old VHS to DVD with great success? I was going to buy a combo player to transfer my daughters old Disney tapes and also my Operation Livecrime, Shit Binge and Puke, etc.. I'm not expecting excellence but just a copy to get by.

i transfer VHS to DVD all the time and have had great success. it will look like the VHS. video quality really won't be improved unless you transfer the VHS into a computer and use a really good video editing program to clean it up a bit. same thing with audio. what i use is a separate VHS player into a stand-alone phillips DVD-recorder. the video i transfer straight through. the audio i will usually run into a small mackie mixer, EQ it a bit, then feed the outs into an alesis 3630, then to the phillips. it has always cleaned up the audio nicely - especially for older VHS. if i run into too much noise, i grab an old dbx unit i have laying around and tweak it out.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

That black strat used to belong to the guitarist from Free, Murray got it from him. That guitar has quite a pedigree being owned & played by those two. I doubt mods will affect it's worth. Besides, he's Dave Fucking Murray. He can do whatever he wants! Fender has a replica version of Dave's strat for sale in last year's catalog if you're interested in it. That's probably the only strat I'd buy if I were a strat guy.
      The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Disturbing Manor View Post
        he's Dave Fucking Murray.
        Yes and LOL
        Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Originally posted by catzodellamarina View Post
          I went out last night and got the DVD to the classic "Live After Death". I haven't seen it since about 1987 on vhs of course. Stayed up way too late last night watching the show and extras. The dvd was a bit grainy and the sound didn't quite match the CD. The CD sounds more arena live w/crowd. It's still a pleasure to watch.

I always knew Murray played Strats but I never paid attention to details until last night. The black Strat I saw him using a 2 H PU configuration - obviously custom or modded. Then I read the features about their equipment and it listed his Strats as 57' and other vintage years. I found it almost horrifying that a pro would mod vintage guitars. Then I thought to myself, perhaps back in the mid 80's, an original 57' 62' or early 70's Strat wasn't all that special like they are today. I wonder if he kicks himself in the ass today for altering those old Strats?

BTW - anyone here transfer old VHS to DVD with great success? I was going to buy a combo player to transfer my daughters old Disney tapes and also my Operation Livecrime, Shit Binge and Puke, etc.. I'm not expecting excellence but just a copy to get by.
          That's a great DVD, especially since I was there.

Dude, the mods happened in the late seventies to 1980. I'm pretty sure hacking up an old POS strat doesn't worry anyone. I'm on a quest right now to hack up a vintage strat and make a copy of Dave's. I already have the Floyd. Just got to find a 57 Strat

I'm hoping livecrime gets released on DVD someday. I haven't seen it in forever.

Comment

Dave's '57 strat was owned by Paul Kossoff - a Brit blues guitarist that Dave frequently sites as his #1 influence. It was a white '57 that Dave purchased from Kossoff's mother (or family) after Paul's death. Dave has noted that he sold all of his gear to buy that Strat. Once it was in his possession, it was repainted and had the Dimarzio humbuckers added. In its first generation, the guitar was white with the humbuckers added with the bridge hum angled. Later, he would change the bridge to one of those big brass dimarzio bridges.

In LAD, Dave plays mostly a Pre-CBS black 60's Strat with a rosewood fingerboard. This has the same electronics but also has a Kahler tremolo installed.

Other strats were most like modified Squiers as he was fond of using those as his Eddie smashing guitars.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Saw them in SF four days after the shows were recorded in Long Beach...great show!

Dave Fucking Murray has enough cash to go get an original vintage whatever should he want one, so no, I don't think he's kicking himself in the ass...unless he's kicking himself all the way to the bank.
              My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Some cool historical notes here. Thanks guys.

Livecrime IS available on DVD, I just didn't want to spend the money since I already have the VHS and box kit. But in case I fail, I saved the DVD in my wishlist on Amazon.com.

Comment

I got the cassette when it came out, as well as the VHS, and I got the DVD last year. I thought there were two nights in a row for that show at the Long Beach, CA arena. I thought that the VHS/DVD is one show and the album/cassette/CD is the other (or maybe they mixed and matched the songs). Or I could be mistaken, as I haven't listened to either in awhile. I know there was a couple songs thrown on there that were recorded in the UK at the Hammersmith Odeon, too.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I was there in Long Beach at the arena and witnessed L.A.D myself. Truely an epic night. Although seeing them in 08 at Irvine was just as epic, since I got to take my 14 year old daughter. After the show appoligized for ruining the rest of her concert going life. Because more then likely no other show will measure up to what she just witnessed.

Comment

Originally posted by Disturbing Manor View Post
                      he's Dave Fucking Murray. He can do whatever he wants!
                      Hell I'd shell out more $$$ for the original Dave Fucking Murray Strat than a vintage original MISB '57 strat
                      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Predator1 View Post
                        I was there in Long Beach at the arena and witnessed L.A.D myself. Truely an epic night. Although seeing them in 08 at Irvine was just as epic, since I got to take my 14 year old daughter. After the show appoligized for ruining the rest of her concert going life. Because more then likely no other show will measure up to what she just witnessed.
                        I took my daughter and youngest son (6 and 4 at the time) to Motorhead, Dio and Maiden summer 2003 in Columbus. I think they had more fun jumping over the mud puddles (it rained hard the night before)

Here's a tip for anyone who cares. My last day in Cleveland (late summer 2008) Maiden was playing that night. I think it was the Powerslave II show. I had my car loaded with crap (moving out of the corporate apt. at the time), didn't have tickets, and didn't know where the hell the concert was, but I regret to this day not trying to go to it.

If you get the chance go. You only live once, don't regret it.
                        Last edited by DonP; 01-17-2011, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          I got the cassette when it came out, as well as the VHS, and I got the DVD last year. I thought there were two nights in a row for that show at the Long Beach, CA arena. I thought that the VHS/DVD is one show and the album/cassette/CD is the other (or maybe they mixed and matched the songs). Or I could be mistaken, as I haven't listened to either in awhile. I know there was a couple songs thrown on there that were recorded in the UK at the Hammersmith Odeon, too.
                          Actually it was four nights in a row. They also had 7 shows in 8 days at the NY Radio City Music Hall, but I think some of those ended up cancelled because Bruce got ill. 7 shows in one place... heh.
                          I like maple fretboards. :P

Comment

Working...
                          X