Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santana's Guitar Heaven

Most Pointless Album of all times?

I mean, he takes perfectly formed songs, played by decent session cats and guest vocalists, he adds a bit of Youtube-style guitar noodling here and there, with a wah pedal constantly on, and he sells this as his album?!

very pointless, but this has been the trend with a lot of established acts over the last decade. I saw another thread talking about artists not wanting to make new music. Well, I remember an interview I read about 5 years ago (can't remember source) with a higher up at one of the record companies stating that the dismal record sales from well established artists was leading him to advise all of his artists to either do cover albums, live albums, or the label would release a repackaged greatest hits compilation. If you look back at the last decade, there have been an awful lot of live and tribute albums released,... it's just a desperate reaction to a music industry that is changing and the "suits" still haven't quite figured out what to do about it. For an example of this, just look at Rush's albums for the past decade. Like them or not, they are of course very well established and would release about 3 studio albums, then a live album, 3 studio, live, etc. Over the past decade it was studio album, live album, tribute album live album, reissued live album, reissued live album, studio album, live album and 3 compilation greatest hits packages interspersed. GEEZ!

As for Santana, to me this is just a combination of "let's do a tribute album" and, "hey, a decade ago that whole duets thing worked for us, let's get guest singers again!" I personally have no problem with Santana. I liked his stuff from the 60's through the 80's, thought he had a very identifiable tone and unique playing style, but now, even if it was inventive 40 years ago, it just comes off as stale these days.
    For the aid of the sarcastically challenged, smartass comments will now be denoted in orange. Thank you for your support.

Comment

My idea of Santana guitar heaven is not hearing his shitty playing.
      All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

It's like guitar karaoke...beyond awful. Zero artistic integrity IMO. He needs to write a good album or go away. His constant noodling over songs is just sad and pathetic.

Comment

I heard While My Guitar Gently Weeps and that was horrible... argh. There should be some kind of punishment for that. Would it qualify as crimes against humanity?

Comment

I liked his use of minor 7th chords in the 60's and 70's as well as the sustain his guitar tech modded into his amp. If he was starting out today--or even in the 80's--he wouldn't have a chance of making it IMO. As long as people keep buying this stuff he'll keep producing it.

Comment

Santana's tone and playing grate on my ears. Just goes to show that even the high end guitars and amps can sound horrible in the right hands...and what a lifetime of smoking dope can do to you, LOL!

Comment

"My idea of Santana guitar heaven is not hearing his shitty playing"
                +1

Comment

is he responsible for the new Sunshine of Your Love I've heard recently on the radio? It sounded like Santana-ish noodlings, but as it is, I felt no compulsion to look into who was making said noodlings. Sounded like that Matchbox 20 dude on vox again too
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                    is he responsible for the new Sunshine of Your Love I've heard recently on the radio? It sounded like Santana-ish noodlings, but as it is, I felt no compulsion to look into who was making said noodlings. Sounded like that Matchbox 20 dude on vox again too

yes, that's it. you should hear back in black with nas rapping on it. ugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mv9y...eature=related
                    For the aid of the sarcastically challenged, smartass comments will now be denoted in orange. Thank you for your support.

Comment

High gain woman tone, LOL!

Comment

those leads should have been replaced by Dennis Chambers' whacky drum fills.
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Mazrim View Post
                          My idea of Santana guitar heaven is not hearing his shitty playing.
                          Go seem him live. He's a fantastic player. I saw him a few years ago and he was amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by dustin1969 View Post
                            yes, that's it. you should hear back in black with nas rapping on it. ugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mv9y...eature=related
                            I can honestly say I never in my life expected to hear a cover of Back in Black with the lyrics "Yah!, Uh!, Uh huh!, Cmon ya'll back in black UH!
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Wow, that's unbelievably bad. That's two and a half minutes of my life that I'll never get back. Thanks, Carlos.
                              The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Comment

Working...
                              X