Vinnie Vincent guitar at HRC, Cardiff, Wales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinnie Vincent guitar at HRC, Cardiff, Wales

Anybody live near the Hard Rock Cafe in Cardiff? There is a supposed Vinnie Vincent used Rhoads guitar there.

A member of the VVFF is going to have a look at it, they will be taking it off the wall and we'd like to have a Jackson expert there to check it out too.

The guitar now has a JT6 on it, but that could have been added later.

If it was one of Vinnies then it's a very early Rhoads. We'd like to check if it is and for signs of a respray etc.

Yeah, that's been there for ages. It's a pink RR with (as I recall) an EMG in the bridge, a zebra Duncan in the neck and a JT6. I think it has reverse inlays on rosewood. I have a pic I took of it somewhere, but I think it might be on my old PC...
    Last edited by neilli; 09-19-2010, 06:25 PM.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Thanks neilli, we want to examine it and check out it's authenticity. Vinnie is not exactly known for telling it like it is in the past.

Do you think it's an early Rhoads?

Comment

Vinnie's own guitars had early non fine tuner Floyds as far as I know.

Comment

This is true. Vinnie stuck with the non fine tuning Floyds like Brad Gillis did. He used them for pretty much his whole career including when he had Carvin make him one. We figure he or someone swapped it out for a JT6 as they are too rare to give away, but you never know, it may never have been a guitar he used with Kiss.

Comment

Originally posted by Genebaby View Post
            Thanks neilli, we want to examine it and check out it's authenticity. Vinnie is not exactly known for telling it like it is in the past.Do you think it's an early Rhoads?
            No worries, and yup, absolutely I think it's an early Rhoads. But it's been a while now (at least 4 years) so memory is a little fuzzy. I can't find the pic, and it was on the wall, plus I can't remember details like the logo.
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I think the headstock is pink now, and in his time with Kiss, in the 80's, they were of course black, so that doesn't add up, except for the idea of a refin, but why refin and artist guitar?

Hopefully we'll get some good pics when it's down and be able to work it out.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I remember him playing one like this in the Lick it Up video. I'll have to go on youtube and look.

Comment

He did, he had a pink Rhoads in that video. Whether it was THIS one is the question.

Comment

No, it's definitely not the Lick it Up guitar which was also in the tourbook. That had regular sharkfins and an ebony board, plus the established White logo. What we're trying to confirm or dismiss is whether the Hard Rock guitar is his Gold Rhoads with reversed sharks and gold painted logo, which was repainted pink and - if it is the same axe - must have been painted again, headstock and all. We do know it was heavily damaged dye to buckle rash and headstock chipping from Kiss photos.

Comment

This is a old thread and my question may be stupid but anyway:

Does anyone know if Vinnie Vincent´s gold sparkle rhoads was still in it´s original colour when Lick It Up tour started? I just watched a youtube video from Madrid´s gig (14/10/83) and it seems that his rhoads is not pink yet. Colours may of course be faded on that VHS recording and it just seems to be painted gold.

Ok. I watched that video again and it seems Vinnie has two rhoads´s with gold painted Jackson logo, pink one and gold one. I thought there was just one which was later re-sprayed.
                      Last edited by Zedder; 02-18-2013, 04:38 PM.
                      My Jacksons: RR1 x2, RR Pro, Soloist Pro, RRXMG x2, SDX, JS32RR

Comment

One of his Rhoads guitars was resprayed pink for the Lick It Up Tour.

Comment

So did anyone ever get to take it off the wall and examine it...?

Comment

Good question. So???
                            I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

There are some pictures here,

http://vvforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=236

The guitar has moved as the HRC in Cardiff closed in 2010. The guitar is now in Thailand at the HR Hotel. They won't sell it either! I've tried!

Vinnie had at least 4 Rhoads. 2 x Gold (one resprayed pink for LIU tour), 1 x pink (regular sharkies) and a white dot neck that we think was re-sprayed black. He said in a Guitar World interview from '87 that he had 6 of them and since there are 4 confirmed, he may well have had 6!

The question is whether the HR guitar IS the re-sprayed gold one, re-sprayed AGAIN! Where the body meets the neck indicates that it well may be! Sad that the original hand painted gold Jackson logo was covered over!
                              Last edited by shramiac; 09-28-2013, 12:31 AM.
                              www.vvforums.com

Comment

Working...
                              X