Zakk’s Black Label Society at NYC Hard Rock Cafe 10-31-09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zakk’s Black Label Society at NYC Hard Rock Cafe 10-31-09

This was a promotional event for Zakk’s coffin-shaped epiphone sponsored mainly by Gibson. This is the first time he played out since he cut short his tour in August after being diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism.
    Now, I happen to live in this cess-pool called New York City, which as you can figure by that comment, this is not my first choice for living arrangements, but I gotta make it work for the time being. So, since I’m here, I’m gonna try and see as many good bands as I can.
    I know Zakk’s playing recently has been under scrutiny, but I’m still a fan of his music whether it’s in Ozzy or BLS, and I figure I’d try to make it to this event since it’s local.

I found out about this gig from reading a guitar mag a couple weeks back. Now stupid me thought this show was going to be in Times Square at an outdoor venue open to all for free, next to the restaurant, but I find out the day of the show that there’s a small venue inside the restaurant where the set is to be played and that it’s by invite only. I find this out as I spec out the restaurant a few hours before the show and spot a wall of Marshalls thru the door of the stage during soundcheck. I asked someone who worked there who said it’s a private event and no tix are being sold, so I was going to leave it at that and take off. However, my wife knew I was looking forward to the show so she took it upon herself to speak to one of the security or manager’s or manager of security, and said I was a fan, and he basically said he can let me in close to showtime if there are any no-shows on the list. We went back and low and behold they let us in!

My wife was all pumped up…til the band started playing. I guess this is where I should mention my wife’s and my music tastes are completely different! I think she mentioned something like it's the closed thing to hell she's experienced! God love her though, she got us in and she was even able to grab a T-shirt thrown out by the MC’s beforehand. BTW, I thought they sounded real good, and Zakk’s playing was spot on. I think when he plays with BLS, he tends not to use the chorus pedal all the time, as in Ozzy, which I think he sounds better without it.

They had a raffle beforehand for some gear that was MC’d by 2 of the 3 guys from That Metal Show (uhh, the 2 that were not Jim Florentine), which BTW, is a new find for me and is pretty damn good. I’ve been checking out there shows on VH1 website:
    http://www.vh1classic.com/browse/vid...ow/index.jhtml
    Anyway, one of the sponsors was Dunlop and lo and behold Jim Dunlop comes out to do it...a guy in his 50s. I figured it was just a corporation name by now and didn’t realize this guy was still around.

I took a little video footage with my camera which surprisingly sounded pretty good. I’ve taken video with my phone in concerts before, but the sound always came out horrid. I guess the digital camera I has something to buffer the sound. I’ll try to upload something to youtube when I figure it out. In the meantime, here’s a pic:
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Sounds like you had a good time. That guitar is fucking retarded though.
    Originally posted by horns666
    The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
      Now, I happen to live in this cess-pool called New York City
      Aaayyyy - Oooh! You don't talk about my home like that! Probably a transplanted Mass-hole.

j/k

Cool deal. I was going to try to go until I found out the tix were about non-existant - despite Zakk's shouted invitation on the Talking Metal podcast.

Check out the Episode of That Metal Show with Blitz & DD from Overkill. Good stuff.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

New York is the center of the world. If we were living in Roman Times, New York would be Rome itself (John Lennon)
        Yankees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        By the way, Zakk is from that other cesspool right next door called New Jersey.
        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
          Aaayyyy - Oooh! You don't talk about my home like that! Probably a transplanted Mass-hole.

j/k

Cool deal. I was going to try to go until I found out the tix were about non-existant - despite Zakk's shouted invitation on the Talking Metal podcast.

Check out the Episode of That Metal Show with Blitz & DD from Overkill. Good stuff.
          I know NYC is a great city with lots to do and everyone should visit, but actually living here in the city ain't my cup of tea. I spent many years in Boston (not originally from there) and lived more in the 'burbs which was a nice living situation. I was able to have a decent patio for outdoor grilling, a place to park my car safely, oh, and I can actually get around with a car. I had to give these up and instead use the subway where I can see the rats frolicking about paying no mind to people. Oh, and I love the occasional subway car that's filled with the stench of urine from some occupant, obviously homeless, where you literally have to vacate the car on the next stop. This has happened to me 3 or 4 times in the last year, the last time, I swear it smelled like some kind of farm animal! Granted Boston's got a lot going in the rat dept too.
          Don't get me wrong, for some people this place is great. Maybe if I were in my 20s and single, I'd be more appreciative. But I'm in my 30s and married with a kid, so my priorities have changed.

BTW, I have checked out Overkill on That metal show. I'm hoping they'll do a local show. I love the episode where they interview Lemmy.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Here are 2 short clips I uploaded from the BLS show. Hey, I figured out this youtube thing! I don't want any flak about my shooting technique, cos u can tell I have none!

The first is the solo from Suffering overdue, which I think is pretty cool with how he changes back and forth with the pickups. The 2nd is the Fire it up solo,which shows one of those coffin guitars. The color scheme is alright...it kinda reminds me of the new metallica cover, but man what an ugly guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgeTf...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbKqp...eature=channel

Comment

I have to wonder if that's a real epi or if his is a custom shop gibson that has an epi logo...
              In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
                I have to wonder if that's a real epi or if his is a custom shop gibson that has an epi logo...
                It's a Custom Shop Epi..

*edit*

Also, There will only be 100 of these made to be sold (Thank God lol) Zakk has at least 6 of these that I am aware of. He has another he calls the JCGD which is a work of Art w/ Jesus Christ on a cross glued to the top of the body. Pics are on Twitter.
                Last edited by GTarman68; 03-08-2010, 05:07 AM.

Comment

MM, Cool Show indeed. I was there and lucky enough to get to hang w/ Zakk and Crew the day before @ Sam Ash, and also before and after the show @ the Hard Rock. Thanks Mr. Zakk Wylde, He took care of us again.. Ya gotta love him for that. The Show kicked some ass, We rocked the front and center for most of the night. Zakk gave us a Free Beer backstage pass.. cool huh? So, I figured I would drink all I could on Z's dime..lol and did.. John from Talking Metal .com is who you are speaking of, Another Cool ass guy. He did interview me and a few friends in the street while we were taking a smoke break outside. Halloween in the Big Apple rocks, It was my first time in NYC, I'll def be back for more. What was kick ass was after the show, hitting the streets of NYC w/ Z. There were a total of 7 of us, Zakk, Mark and Phil. (Z's Tour manager and Security) Big Dave (Ozzy's security) was w/ me and 2 friends. Dave (Step It Up G) is from NYC and showed us a hell of a time. there was some strange force that kept dragging us back to Coyotee Uglies..lmao The longer we stayed there, the more it reeked of Piss.. But the Girls seem to be having a great time. Pics are on my Facebook if anyone would like to see them, I got some great shots of the show.

Comment

Working...
                  X