Need New Rig...Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
    Just pulled the trigger on an Ultra...now I wait...
    Wow... grats =) What are you going to be using as your setup? I am also using the 2:90:2 with a bogner cab (strike the cab and poweramp modeling) and it is just crushing. Nice small setup too.

When you get rolling, share some presets

-Nate
    Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Tim,

What full range speakers are you using with the Axe? Everything I've tried it with just completely lacks bottom end/fails to push any air. I'm not talking lacks dropped c/sludge type bottom end, but lacks the lower mids my cabinets and combos push.

I'm convinced I must be doing something wrong with setting it up/dialing in the amp sims. The effects sound great, but the amp sims sound shockingly bad. Does using the customer IR's make that much of a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Trypp Powell View Post
        Tim,

What full range speakers are you using with the Axe? Everything I've tried it with just completely lacks bottom end/fails to push any air. I'm not talking lacks dropped c/sludge type bottom end, but lacks the lower mids my cabinets and combos push.

I'm convinced I must be doing something wrong with setting it up/dialing in the amp sims. The effects sound great, but the amp sims sound shockingly bad. Does using the customer IR's make that much of a difference?
        I haven't used any IR's yet, don't even know how to but the Axe Fx forum guys say these make a huge difference. I run my Axe-Fx into a QSC HPR and have no issues with lack of bottom end at all. It sounds as huge as a 4x12 cab sitting behind you on stage except its mounted on a tripod stand I've only taken factory programs and tweaked the eq's, chorus, delay. verb so far. I have not built anything from scratch yet.
        Rudy
        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by Trypp Powell View Post
          Tim,

I use an FBT Verve 12ma and it has a ton of bottom end. I can bring as much low end as my bass player if I want.

The stock IRs can work if you spend time with them and tweaking the amp parameters. I'd have to take a look at my presets to tell you which I actually use. I do use a couple of custom IRs that I downloaded from somewhere but I couldn't tell you which ones they are off the top of my head.

The IRs make a huge difference. Just like switching cabs/speakers would in a traditional rig. If you have access to a power amp and traditional guitar cab try plugging into that and dialing in your tones. If that sounds good then all you need to do is find an IR that delivers that same thing - you still need a good FRFR rig though.

When you go about picking a FRFR rig you have to decide what you are trying to do - monitor yourself or project yourself (like a typical guitar cab). Things that are designed as monitors don't always project all that well (the 12ma actually does). Things that are designed to project will seem harsh up close and give you ear fatigue because you do not get the right delivery of highs/lows.

Another key thing you have to get a handle on is that you should be working on having a great tone through the PA because that is all anyone else hears. So take your favorite tube rig and listen to what it sounds like coming out of the PA. It's a LOT different. Experiment with mic placement. It makes a huge difference. And once you've got it nailed, remember that it all changes at the next club

I've been through a lot of traditional guitar rigs and a lot of digital rigs. This is really the first time in years that I've hit the point where I am just not interested in other gear - I've been selling off just about everything else I have. I'm just going to hang onto a small grab 'n go rig for jams and open mics.

Every time I play through other rigs I am reminded of how much I like mine better. The other day I fired up my Bogner Fish, Boogie 2:90, and Egnater cab. Same result - I like my Axe-FX rig better. Don't get me wrong, the Fish rig sounded glorious but not until I was nearly fucking deaf. But it actually doesn't sound better than the Axe-FX rig, it's 3x heavier, and a fraction of the versatility. So the Fish rig is probably going to go before too long.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

So far so good. I'm waiting on a GCP and Verve 12ma to complete the rig but in the meantime I've been checking it out through a pair of high end powered speakers. This thing really does sound amazing...it reacts and responds much like a real tube amp, in fact even better than some high gain amps that I have played recently.

I've barely touched on anything yet...basically I've been playing around with the presets. There's a lot of junk there, but a few of them are actually pretty damn good starting points for a newbie.

I'm looking forward to figuring this thing out...let the learning begin!

A big thanks to Tim for talking me through my concerns and helping me out with a difficult decision!

Comment

Working...
            X