PODxt patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PODxt patches

With so many uploaded patches, how do you tell the good from the bad? Number of download? How many stars?

I just got all of the Model packs for an XT, so I want to give them a beating before the 30 days runs out to see if I want to keep them or not.

I never use the downloadable presets on my pod devices becuase they tend to be so far off the tone they are going for.

I usually start with a clean no effect setup and get a good base amp tone and then add effects myself from there.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

+1

I dial in everything myself. Everyone's ear is different, and I honestly haven't heard decent sounding presets - even the factory ones.

Plus, I don't necessarily try get a sound that emulates someone else's sound - I like to sound like me.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

+2. I've never had any luck with presets.

Comment

One of the biggest flaws with any sort of programmable gear that comes with presets is they don't tell you what they were pumping it through when they programmed it.

The artist patches on the Digitech preamps (21/Pro/Legend/Artist) sound like crap to me. Maybe if I knew what cabinet and power amp they were using, as well as what pickups/guitar, and what the settings on the power amp were. Or did they feed in the FX loop of their own personal amp head?
          They never ever tell you this crap.

Same with the XTLive I had - it woulda been nice to know what power amps and cabs they were programming the patches through.

At least the 1101 has the intended cabinet emulator for each patch.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Matt has a good point. I'll also throw in that they do mention single coil vs. humbucker, but they don't mention which pickup. A Jazz isn't going to sound like an Invader.

That said, I went for the sort by most downloads, and was pretty happy with the presets. They seemed to be a pretty good match to the tones they said to be.

When it comes to settings, I've never really got it. I still play Marshalls with all controls dimed, so I'd be pretty much helpless trying to come up with my own tones. My favorite preset on the POD 2.3 is 1A (and 4D).

Comment

When I use my POD, I'm mostly playing through headphones, so I tweak the tones for that application. When I hook up to a combo or into the computer, I always have to tweak the settings to get it to sound right. A middy thick sound can go brittle through an amp, for instance.

If I had patience, I'd setup each preset for headphones, amp, other amp, direct in... you get the idea. It's kind of like EQ'ing your amp for a hardwood floor vs a carpeted floor.
              Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                When I use my POD, I'm mostly playing through headphones, so I tweak the tones for that application. When I hook up to a combo or into the computer, I always have to tweak the settings to get it to sound right. A middy thick sound can go brittle through an amp, for instance.

If I had patience, I'd setup each preset for headphones, amp, other amp, direct in... you get the idea. It's kind of like EQ'ing your amp for a hardwood floor vs a carpeted floor.
                I only use headphones in the apartment. I tried going the amp/PC speaker route but gave up. Headphones sound better unless you can crank up the volume.

BTW that is a steal you offering the xt with model packs for $135. I'm out $110 (with power supply) and $99 (with all guitar and bass model packs). I do have a cheap bass at the apartment that I mess with.

Comment

Well, I was initially trying to sell it for $175 with the power supply... somebody wanted it, but insisted I throw in a USB cable or it was a deal-breaker.

Besides, I just ordered one of those Line6 JM4 - looper/jam station thing, so an extra POD is the last thing I need.
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                  X