Mesa 20/20 vs Carvin T100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 20/20 vs Carvin T100

I'm revamping my rack for a couple of reasons. 1)Ive been wanting an Engl E530 for a few years now. Scored one on eBay this week. Im replacing the Voodu Valve with the Engl and a G Major. 2) I had major back surgery 2 years ago so I cant lift what I was once able to. So I'm looking for a good match for the E530 thats is much lighter than most 100 watt poweramps.

I currenty run a Carvin T100 with (I think)6550's. John, didnt you put these in there when you had it? Anyway, I was thinking of a Mesa 20/20. Its going to be a pricey upgrade, but it will lighten up the whole rig quit a bit and I know its loud enough. I'm just curious of the voicing it will have with Engl. I'm running an old Mesa 4x12 with C90's up top and Vintage 30's in the bottom. the top is open, but I plan on closing it.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by sambencuda; 08-08-2009, 12:22 PM.
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

I have owned both of them. The T100 will have more headroom just be aware of that. I love the way that the 20/20 sounded though. I love EL84's but make sure it is your thing and try it out before you buy it and try to try it out at the volume you will be playing it at because they tend to color up really quickly.
    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
    So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Thanks Tets. I'm not sure which way I'm going with this. Ive primarily used heads and combos only my whole life. Ive had the T100 for a few years now. I have the Engl now and It sounds great through the T100. The only thing is, I'm hearing that the T100 is more transparent than typical guitar power amps. Im wondering if Im missing out on something. I'm still considering the 20/20, but I'm wonder what else might sound good with this preamp. I tend to lean twards EL34s. Weight is not an issue any more. Unless I go with the 20/20, Im going to split it up into two racks. One for the power amp and one for the rest. Ive been looking into the Marshall 9100. The good thing is, I'm happy with it now, so I can afford to be curious for a while.
      "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

I just finished recording guitar tracks for an entire album on a T100, with a Peavey Rockmaster tube preamp into one channel and a solid state ART DST-4 into the other. I gig with Peavey Classic tube power amps (EL84 50/50 or 6L6 60) and they both have more distinctive tones than the T100 for sure. However, I decided to stick with the T100 in the studio because I could concentrate on preamp settings for dialing in tone, knowing that the power section would do little to alter it.

However, I understand your point about the weight, and the 20/20 would be about the best option available. Mesa pretty much cornered the market on compact tube power amps.
        sigpic

Comment

I've got the same opinion on the T-100 -- almost a solid state (not in a negative way) transparent sound. The Mesa has that tube warmth sound. Probably selling mine as I haven't used it since last year. PM if interested. Mesa 50/50 is another good choice but, heavier.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Working...
          X