No announcement yet.

NAD: MESA/Boogie Mark V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet, man. I'll have one someday... Gotta let the finances recover for a little bit before my next GAS attack.

Well basically what I was trying to get across was this: Channel 2 isn't all that heavy in Mark I, Edge, or Crunch UNLESS you use the Master up around noon + the Gain dimed. At that point, if you get too silly, you can get microphonic feedback out of EMG's from 2 or 3 feet away at a "barely louder than the pick hitting the strings" volume.

So, there IS plenty of gain on Channel 2, once you know that little trick (still can't really find that spelled out in the manual, but it works.)

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
      Really? Where did you hear that? They don't seem very forthcoming with me when I ask when it might be ready, so I gathered they are pretty backlogged ....

but yeah, the wait *is* killing me.
      That what the splawn forum says they also say scott will usually tell you how its going
      "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
      Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
        Yeah I ordered mine direct. Wonder if that was a bad idea. I don't remember anything about a FX volume control! Mine hsa custom tolex & ordered with the KT88s. I'll have to give them a call and ask what's up again....
        All 2009 Splawns are supposed to have the FX volume control.
        Not a big deal if you're in a situation where you can crank it
        up, but even a 50-watt Comp on triode is louder than hell!
        MIne's a 2008, so I just use a volume pedal in the loop. It
        allows you to use it in a small practice room without tearing
        your head off!

Comment

Congrats!
          if you're digging the combo wait until you here it thru a Recto 2X12 or 4X12 cab.
          then you're really going to love it!
          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

So are you going to make clips. I really want to hear how you got the crunch channel to sound
            Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
              Channel 3: Holy shit.

Channel 3 is insane. This is the MESA/Boogie tone I have always wanted, and then some.

There is a lot of bullshit and controversy over the "labeling" of the modes as Mark IV and Mark IIC and people whining about how they don't sound like the originals.

While I do personally agree this might have been a bad decision on MESA/Boogie's part, I admit I have never heard a IIC or Mark IV in real life that I know of (though I've obviously heard them on recordings) and I personally do not care at all if this amp accurately reproduces the exact tone that Joe Corksniffer gets on his vintage Mark IIC+.
              First of all, congrats on the Mk V! I'd be really interested getting to try one out. That amp sure has a ton of options and voicings so I bet you'll be constantly finding new tones in it.

As for the Mk IIC+ controversy, there's actually thread over at the Boogie board where some guys brought together several IIC+'s (heads, combos, various options) and tested them against the V. While they didn't say the V "absolutely totally nailed the IIC+", the consensus seemed to be that it was very close. They were going to try some tube swaps and different speakers to see how close they could get the similarity. But even with that, I think one of the guys said it was just so darn close that it would, for the most part, take a corksniffer with a lot of IIC+ experience to tell much of a difference.

So I think you've got the right attitude: enjoy the V for what it is and to heck with the channel labels.
              Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by kmanick View Post
                Congrats!
                if you're digging the combo wait until you here it thru a Recto 2X12 or 4X12 cab.
                then you're really going to love it!
                That's too much to lug around.

I used to have a Boogie upright 2-12" (the old-school with the metal grilles) and that was a bit much for one guy to handle esp. dealing with stairs and stuff, and my wife doesn't do Roadie duty. I think the Recto horizontal is pretty similar (70+ lbs!) so that's out.

They've got a new 1-12" Thiele ported widebody cabinet I'm looking at which should bring the lows up a bit when needed. I'm not for sure if I want to buy one and put the combo on it, or buy 2 and turn the combo into a head.

Originally posted by toxikdeth View Post
                So are you going to make clips. I really want to hear how you got the crunch channel to sound
                I don't have a mic to record the "actual" sound. It's possible it will end up at my buddy's studio in the near future (he has nice mic's) or I may try out the direct box thing soon. But I'd prefer to turn it up a little and get a good mic in front of it.

But really, go try one out if you can! Just make sure the effects loop isn't hard bypassed and see how heavy a sound you can get out of channel 2 using the Channel Master Volume and bringing the Output down to tame the volume.

I still don't like Edge and only see limited appeal in Mark I mode but Crunch mode is great.

And obviously if you want a really heavy sound, switch to Channel 3. Even with 1 12" speaker the floor is shaking at "bedroom" volume if you want it, but don't use the channel's Bass control too high (farty) use the EQ instead and cut the middle 3 bands on the EQ way down. I wouldn't use it that way at higher volumes but it's like the "loudness" control on a stereo, I can hear the pick hitting the strings but it's got floor-shaking bass.

Originally posted by fuel0707 View Post
                First of all, congrats on the Mk V! I'd be really interested getting to try one out. That amp sure has a ton of options and voicings so I bet you'll be constantly finding new tones in it.

As for the Mk IIC+ controversy, there's actually thread over at the Boogie board where some guys brought together several IIC+'s (heads, combos, various options) and tested them against the V. While they didn't say the V "absolutely totally nailed the IIC+", the consensus seemed to be that it was very close. They were going to try some tube swaps and different speakers to see how close they could get the similarity. But even with that, I think one of the guys said it was just so darn close that it would, for the most part, take a corksniffer with a lot of IIC+ experience to tell much of a difference.

So I think you've got the right attitude: enjoy the V for what it is and to heck with the channel labels.
                Thanks! Yeah, I saw that thread! Pretty cool, even the IIC owner was the one who admitted it was close enough that he'd leave the IIC+ safe at home and gig the V.

I am a firm believer that this amp was hyped all to hell and even from other MESA/Boogie owners there is some anti-hype backlash going on, which a lot of it is bullshit.

And there are also guys who see all the knobs and switches and think they can get it to sound like anything they can dream up. It DOES have a ton of options and voicings, but when you get right down to it, it's a MESA/Boogie and it SOUNDS LIKE a MESA/Boogie (non-rectifier, that is) and if you don't like that tone... This is NOT the amp for you!

Comment

That's too much to lug around.

I used to have a Boogie upright 2-12" (the old-school with the metal grilles) and that was a bit much for one guy to handle esp. dealing with stairs and stuff, and my wife doesn't do Roadie duty. I think the Recto horizontal is pretty similar (70+ lbs!) so that's out.

They've got a new 1-12" Thiele ported widebody cabinet I'm looking at which should bring the lows up a bit when needed. I'm not for sure if I want to buy one and put the combo on it, or buy 2 and turn the combo into a head.

I don't have a mic to record the "actual" sound. It's possible it will end up at my buddy's studio in the near future (he has nice mic's) or I may try out the direct box thing soon. But I'd prefer to turn it up a little and get a good mic in front of it.

But really, go try one out if you can! Just make sure the effects loop isn't hard bypassed and see how heavy a sound you can get out of channel 2 using the Channel Master Volume and bringing the Output down to tame the volume.

I still don't like Edge and only see limited appeal in Mark I mode but Crunch mode is great.

And obviously if you want a really heavy sound, switch to Channel 3. Even with 1 12" speaker the floor is shaking at "bedroom" volume if you want it, but don't use the channel's Bass control too high (farty) use the EQ instead and cut the middle 3 bands on the EQ way down. I wouldn't use it that way at higher volumes but it's like the "loudness" control on a stereo, I can hear the pick hitting the strings but it's got floor-shaking bass.

Thanks! Yeah, I saw that thread! Pretty cool, even the IIC owner was the one who admitted it was close enough that he'd leave the IIC+ safe at home and gig the V.

I am a firm believer that this amp was hyped all to hell and even from other MESA/Boogie owners there is some anti-hype backlash going on, which a lot of it is bullshit.

And there are also guys who see all the knobs and switches and think they can get it to sound like anything they can dream up. It DOES have a ton of options and voicings, but when you get right down to it, it's a MESA/Boogie and it SOUNDS LIKE a MESA/Boogie (non-rectifier, that is) and if you don't like that tone... This is NOT the amp for you!
                  I wish I could try one out maybe my GC will get one. Can you give me an example of how heavy the crunch gets like compare it to a song or something
                  Jackson Shred

Comment

Welcome to the club man!
                    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm View Post
                      Welcome to the club man!
                      You have a mk v
                      Jackson Shred

Comment

John Petrucci is so impressed with the New Mark V's he's using it live now

I dont get scared but i do get shocked!!

Comment

holy shit. He IS becoming Zakk Wylde!!
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                            holy shit. He IS becoming Zakk Wylde!!
                            Except John Petrucci doesn't squeal every other note.

Comment

Originally posted by toxikdeth View Post
                              I wish I could try one out maybe my GC will get one. Can you give me an example of how heavy the crunch gets like compare it to a song or something
                              Channel 2 (Crunch) well... It's more crunchy than the name implies, but not "brutal." It is tough to say as far as the tone, but as far as distortion level it will easily do hard rock and early metal (think Iron Maiden "Killers" era, Judas Priest "British Steel" kind of heavy).

Comment

Channel 2 (Crunch) well... It's more crunchy than the name implies, but not "brutal." It is tough to say as far as the tone, but as far as distortion level it will easily do hard rock and early metal (think Iron Maiden "Killers" era, Judas Priest "British Steel" kind of heavy).
                                hmm that should be enough gain
                                Jackson Shred

Comment

Working...
                                X