Rocktron Piranha opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocktron Piranha opinions?

Thinking about getting a rack setup, and found one of these preamps pretty cheap.

I think i remember hearing it is somewhat similar to a 5150 tone wise, is this true? If not, what would you compare it to, is it any good?

it will eat you if you aren't careful. piranha's are mean.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Well, I just bought it.

Review to follow.

Comment

i heard good things about it. Can't wait to hear your review

Comment

I've heard good things about them. Judas Priest was using them until just recently.

Comment

IMO, they are the best processor ever made, wish I could find one for a decent price
            2001 Les Paul Standard
            2010 Explorer '76 RI
            1988 Charvel Model 3

Comment

Originally posted by sparky View Post
              I've heard good things about them. Judas Priest was using them until just recently.
              I know, that's partly why I bought it.

If I could come come close to the tone on painkiller...

Comment

Originally posted by sparky View Post
                Yep, On Jugulater and the god aweful Demolition. Until Roy Z demanded they got their tone back using Marshalls and a JMP-1 when Rob re-united. Roy Z made Maiden do the same thing..and both bands sound much better for it.

Personally, I can't stand them whatsoever..very unrefined and fuzzy. They make a JMP-1 sound like a Boutique amp IMO! For a cheaper Rocktron unit The voodoo valve is a FAR better choice!!!

That's my conviction..
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by rocksoldier View Post
                  I know, that's partly why I bought it.

If I could come come close to the tone on painkiller...
                  Nope..sorry.

My bros are in a Judas Priest tribute band. We've all been there ..done that.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                    Yep, On Jugulater and the god aweful Demolition. Until Roy Z demanded they got their tone back using Marshalls and a JMP-1 when Rob re-united. Roy Z made Maiden do the same thing..and both bands sound much better for it.

That's my conviction..
                    Source? They still talking about using the Piranha in fairly recent interviews.

"There aren’t any secrets about our equipment - it isn’t spectacular at all. For ANGEL OF RETRIBUTION, I used Marshall stacks form the '70s and just played. I usually played my good old Gibson Flying V. I was surprised how good the instruments and amps sounded, when they are recorded with the technology of today. The stuff is just great. Of course, we used our Hamer and ESP guitars as well.
                    "I’ve got a few DigiTech pedals. I really like the Tone Driver from the X-series, which I use as a booster. And we’re using Whammy pedals for a long time now.
                    "We use different equipment on stage. It is important to have a back up, if something breaks down. We use amps from the 9100 series as well as Marshall speakers and there’s a Rocktron Piranha preamp that is programmable which is very practical. Every song has its own settings which I can control with a Rocktron Midi Mate floorboard. And there’s an effect tool in my rack, too: the Rocktron Repliflex. On stage I mainly use ESP guitars, the Flying V with the vibrato. It’s too risky to use a precious old guitar."
                    - K.K. Downing, Guitar magazine, 2005

Comment

From the Marshall site, interview with KK: Did you use the JMP-1 in the studio as well?
                      "No, what I used in the studio was my old '70s Marshall heads"

Comment

Originally posted by rocksoldier View Post
                        From the Marshall site, interview with KK: Did you use the JMP-1 in the studio as well?
                        "No, what I used in the studio was my old '70s Marshall heads"
                        No, KK used a JMP-1 into a Marshall DSL in the studio. They also used the JMP-1 in front of an old marshall. Live they use pretty much the same, , and use DSLs for backups I have their set up in a guitar world "gear page" a few years back and said it was "very liberating"...and kept it in "the Marshall family". Roy Z is very partial to old Marshalls and Marshall rack systems especially the JMP-1 which he used oh Halford, Preist and Maiden...and bruce's solo stuff. That's his tone of choice. They do use the digitech stuff. Maiden uses the JFX-1.

Also the Jorn Lande camp players such as Tore Moren and Jorn Viggo Lofstad have been using them since the late 90's and their tone is even better..plenty of vids on youtube. Lofstad likes to use the power section of a 5150 and JMP-1..Tore likes the Marshall rack systems..they both sound amazing and heavy! Everything you hear on Jorn's stuff is the JMP-1. OH, Billy Gibbons swears by them too.

I know this because I've own that same setup since '96. It's like owning a Harely, Corvette, Mustang or Cobra and being "in the know" of those clicks.

No biggie..if you don't like that unit, it's not expensive. Give the Voodoo valve or JMP-1 a try in

Do you actually like that farty sound on Demolition? That's the pirahna..
                        Last edited by horns666; 05-27-2009, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Had these for awhile, hope they help. I could not get both images into the same post for some reason, hence the 2nd post below

Last edited by Joe Stump; 05-27-2009, 04:33 PM.
                          2001 Les Paul Standard
                          2010 Explorer '76 RI
                          1988 Charvel Model 3

Comment

Notice the JD prototype looks quite a bit like a Warrior?
                            Last edited by Joe Stump; 05-27-2009, 04:36 PM.
                            2001 Les Paul Standard
                            2010 Explorer '76 RI
                            1988 Charvel Model 3

Comment

Joe ..are you the real Joe Stump?!!

Comment

Working...
                              X