Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Partial @ Marshall View Post
    ^^^SWEET! Let us know how you like it.
    better believe i will. and if yall are even thinking about wanting one, call Cliff...he is more than glad to share ideas and how he builds them

Comment

just got an email, saying my new amp will be done tomorow.

Comment

just picked it up...man does it sound killer. its got a celestion Greenback clone speaker, all jj electronics tubes, with the exception of the Groove Tube main power tube. kind of has the tone of an old marshal from the 60's in vintage mode, and in modern mode it sounds more late 70's.

Comment

Sound clip?

It is the October design isn't it?
          I'm strongly considering going push-pull with the 6SN7's.
          The thing I have noticed is my prototype 15 watt with the single 6V6 has more
          natural feedback, while the 6SN7 has better low end tone.

Glad you're happy with it!

Comment

I love it...it sounds soo good. clean or dirty sounds like a million bux.

Comment

Originally posted by cmh2007 View Post
              I love it...it sounds soo good. clean or dirty sounds like a million bux.
              What would you compare it to...in terms of gain/distortion?

I have tweaked the SEL's to have a full sound, not geared towards gigging, but more for home recording. Clear bass, not fizzy. Full mid, not snotty.
              I would like to know how the 6SN7 sounds in that push-pull configuration
              before I design one of my own.

I can't complain about what I have come up with...just curious.
              I will put an effects loop in the next one. It does need it badly.

Soundclips?

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                What would you compare it to...in terms of gain/distortion?

I have tweaked the SEL's to have a full sound, not geared towards gigging, but more for home recording. Clear bass, not fizzy. Full mid, not snotty.
                I would like to know how the 6SN7 sounds in that push-pull configuration
                before I design one of my own.

I can't complain about what I have come up with...just curious.
                I will put an effects loop in the next one. It does need it badly.

Soundclips?
                the bass is very clear, as well as mids and highs...gain and distorsion i would compare it to an old overdriven fender balck face, or a really old marshal. when you turn the preamp up all the way and start to up the power amp, it really gets dirty, but still very discernable. this one is really geared toward home recording, but is loudenough to gig if you wanted. the speaker i have is a greenback clone, so it would sound even better with a better speaker. it doesnt have an effects loop, but if i want more fuzz, i just plug one of my overdrive peddles in. it will be atleast 20 days before i can get you a sound sample as i just got on the boat today, sorry, but i will try to do that when i get home.

Comment

Thank you, cmh.
                  I'm a fan of AX84...Cliff Chappell runs it,AFAIK.

I actually waited as he and some others developed the SEL...and as I finished my prototype, then I saw they had posted some 6SN7 versions!
                  I happen to have some great vintage NOS tubes...and the tube gurus on many of the amp sites were very skeptical about using the 6SN7 as a 2 watt power tube.
                  Well, someone did their homework, I couldn't see "why not?"...and it turns out this tube is a great sounding power stage.
                  Apparently Cliff (or someone) saw the logic, and ran with it.
                  I'd like to think I started the quest...somewhere...but I couldn't claim any credit.
                  I give Cliff and his testers all of it.

I couldn't design my way out of a box, but I'm working on it!
                  Great thing about the amp builder's community...it isn't what it used to be.
                  The free exchange of ideas is pushing the envelope better than ever.

Next...I'm working on a 2xEL84 project.
                  Think Marshall 18 Watt. It should be fun!

Comment

cmh...I am still playing the SEL prototype...the first amp I built based on the AX84 SEL schem. But tweaked to have a bit more bass. The first rendition was too firefly, too buzzy in the distortion. The one thing I have to say about these amps is, even with the guitar volume set at halfway, it simply sings! They call it "bloom". Like a cranked stack talking back, but without all the volume.

How is yours doing?
                    I'm eager to hear the 4-4-0.
                    I might have to build one to find out what they did with the 6SN7...in push pull mode.

Comment

what kind of music could you possibbly play on a... 2 watt? amp??? two watts???

i dont get how it could sound so good...? and wouldnt you want a smaller 1x12 cab? if the cab is so large and the speaker is small, wouldnt that take away from sound?
                      Jackson/Charvel. Mesa/Boogie. MXR. Dunlop. Seymour Duncan. Any questions..???

Comment

Originally posted by rickydekker View Post

i dont get how it could sound so good...? and wouldnt you want a smaller 1x12 cab? if the cab is so large and the speaker is small, wouldnt that take away from sound?
                        au contraire

It pushes plenty out of the amp!
                        The rule of watts gets logarithmic.
                        The trick is to get the true tube distortion you hear at stage volume in a package that only pushes enough watts to keep it at bedroom (really garage) level. A large cabinet helps push the tone out.

Comment

*In a Cockney British accent* It's not the size mate. It's how you use it.
                          "Dear Dr. Bill,
                          I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

what kind of music could you possibbly play on a... 2 watt? amp???
                            Music that is verrrrry small....

Comment

It depends on the circuit and speakers too, I've got a great little 60's 6 or 8w practice amp here and its roarin at a very bedroom friendly volume through its 8". I bet a good 2w design through some 12's would drown it out easily

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                                au contraire

It pushes plenty out of the amp!
                                The rule of watts gets logarithmic.
                                The trick is to get the true tube distortion you hear at stage volume in a package that only pushes enough watts to keep it at bedroom (really garage) level. A large cabinet helps push the tone out.
                                'tis true...small watt amps can be pretty damn loud. Wattage isn't linear..A 100watt head is not twice as loud as a 50watt, I believe they only differ by 3-5 db (?)
                                www.JerryRobison.com
                                '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Working...
                                X