My rig VS noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rickydekker View Post
    i maxx out the gain on my amp, and for solos or ares where i need sum more gain i use the super metal, and the output on the super metal is up all the wayy, and the gain is at about 10:00 or so, so it adds a bit of volume andgain, and the EQ setting dont change the noise at all, so im not gonna bother explaining that.

the phaser sounds terribble in the loop, and no my valveking doesnt have enough gain, i boost my gain +12DB with the EQ also, and still dont have enough gain, thats why i want a mesa boogie mark IV but thts outts my price range.
    you have your amp gain dimed, the output on your dirt pedal maxed & the EQ maxed too? Like Toe said, there is your noise problem. Try turning some stuff down a little.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      Ah. You said Super Metal, and usually pedals with the word "metal" in them are distortion pedals.
      according to the Noise Guide, it's a distortion. http://www.noiseguide.com/product_in...uper_metal_sml
      Hail yesterday

Comment

an amp with the gain dimed out and a bunch of noisy pedals....

The only thing that will solve your hiss problem is a good noise gate.

Comment

Unlikely that would even solve the issue... A gate would have to be clamped down so hard it would just throttle it.

yeah, get one, use it somewhat, and get good on the volume knob/pedal, haha... It's a multi faceted solution...

Comment

its not like its unusual for people to want alot of gain..
            so i dont see why i should have to turn my gain DOWN, when i still barely have enough in the first place?

and if i get a noise gate, and use it to its best noise cutting potentioal, wont i be left with barely any sustain?
            Jackson/Charvel. Mesa/Boogie. MXR. Dunlop. Seymour Duncan. Any questions..???

Comment

Sounds like you have the wrong gear. You're wrangling a modern high-gain tone out of 'vintage' circuits. Like CM said, you either have to make some changes or learn to deal with it. Look into the ISP Decimator pedals - that may help you achieve some relief.
              750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
              Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Originally posted by nor View Post
                Sounds like you have the wrong gear. You're wrangling a modern high-gain tone out of 'vintage' circuits. Like CM said, you either have to make some changes or learn to deal with it. Look into the ISP Decimator pedals - that may help you achieve some relief.
                ive heard isp decimators are good.

and i love my vintage gear, i just dont love all the noise that comes with it. i think a noise gate will help alot.

and for everyone else out there, if my sm-9 IS a dist, then it doesnt matter much because im barely using the gain, if i turn it one with the clean channell, it barely brakes up

Comment

Sadly the problem is (distortion or overdrive or phaser), that the pedal is a cheaply made circuit with crappy op amps in general (like most pedals on the market, newer ones sometimes a bit better) , and is introducing a crapload of noise. Not capping on your pedal, just telling you the fact of the matter.

A gate won't help much as noise like that will blow past the gate unless you clamp it so much it kills any semblance of thesound you recognize as your guitar.

I have sooooo been there, as I grew up when we actually were forced to use that stuff to play out with, and had to make it work.

Been there, done that, have the hearing loss.

Comment

i might trade the sm-9 for a ts-9 and a gate. or a pickup booster and a gate.

and eventually i wanna get a better processor, i know my digitech dsp 128 adds alot of noise also, i think a tc electronics, lexicon, or a newer digitech with an actual MIDI CONTROLLER will do me better.

all in time though... once i become rich ill be able to afford all this stuff. lol

Comment

The valveking probably isnt lacking gain it's possible your wanting more saturation...

I run my vk212 with the od channel on the boost and gain around halfway or just under depending on the guitar...

I also like it when I run an od out front, but when you use pedals with the valveking it will need a gate...

You may also benifit from new preamp Tubes...

I'd reccomending contacting Doug's Tubes and enquiring what preamp tubes might help o give you a bit more gain/saturation...

Saying that a nice od pedal like a TS-9 would slam the preamps a little more and perhaps get you into the ballpark tonal area you were after...

If you are using stuff like graphic EQ's boosting the frequencies also boosts the noise you get aswell...

A lot of bands that do the brootals are using amps like the 5150's and recto with the gain lowered and the preamps boosted...

While the valveking doesent have the same ammount of saturation or preamp gain as the 5150 it has plenty for me and most people...

But definately try using the od pedal with as little drive/gain on the pedal and bolosting the level then adjusting the tone knob to suit, also try using less gain on the valveking....

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                        you have your amp gain dimed, the output on your dirt pedal maxed & the EQ maxed too? Like Toe said, there is your noise problem. Try turning some stuff down a little.
                        I'd have to agree here, like VitG said, maxing out everything like that will add a bunch of noise. This would be true even if you were using the latest, most modern amps and pedals let alone vintage stuff. I'm not familiar with your particular amp but I find it hard to believe you don't have enough gain even with these maxed out. Sometimes you might find that your sound is a lot more focused and hits just as hard by backing some of these things off so you can hear the notes in a more articulate way. I'm thinking even if you solved the noise issue itself here the tone with these settings has to ben really garbled or mushy. Anyway, as a suggestion for a good noise gate try looking on E-Bay for a used Hush The Pedal. Look for the older one which actually has two channels in it so you can have two different threshold settings. They go for about $50-75 used and are no longer made. They have some newer version out now but I think its only one channel. I use these older Hush pedals when I need a noise gate. Good luck, I know this noise thing must be very frustrating for you!
                        Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by rickydekker View Post
                          and for everyone else out there, if my sm-9 IS a dist, then it doesnt matter much because im barely using the gain, if i turn it one with the clean channell, it barely brakes up
                          If you're using the pedal with your clean channel, then you'd turn the gain on the pedal up and use the level just for volume. I don't get how it's now breaking up, unless there's something wrong with the pedal or your battery is low.

Found a clip of the Super Metal on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrY47z5T07A
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

when i say breaking up, i mean the gain on the SM9 is so low, that it barely has and gain when its on the clean channell. so when its on the dist channell, it adds a bit of gain and thats it.

Comment

That guy in the Youtube clip is using it into a clean amp, and that's the way a distortion pedal is typically meant to be used. There's something wrong with your pedal then.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Maybe the obvious is being over looked here. Nobody s far has mentioned cables.
                                A bad cable going into the amps fron end will increase your noise signifcantly. Then when added to a booster like a Distortion pedal or a compressor. It just increases that noise. check all your cables inividually into your amp with guitar plugged in and not plugged in. It could also be the guitar has a bad ground issue. Start at the guitar just into the amp itself no pedals with the gain channel set high. Listen for that same noise. If its there. Unplug the guitar. Ifits still there shake the cable. If you hear the cable moving through the amp. You have a bad cable. If the cable doesnt make noise unplug it from the amp. If the noise is still there its your amp. Try some quieter pre tubes Like tesla's or JJ's Or even EH. The chinese tubes they put in the valve kings are a bit noisey and a bit hissy when cranked. If the noise isnt there systematicly go through all the cables first. Then add a pedal one at a time. Till the noise happens again. Thats your problem pedal and or cable.
                                And yeah the ISP decimator is the shit from what ive heard. Altho i love my Boss NS2. for some reason MY NS2 actually increases my signal and cuts my noise without killing my systian. And im runnin a metal zone through it. Noisey pedal. But sounds great.
                                Gil

Comment

Working...
                                X