No announcement yet.

VHT Deliverance and single channel amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think our local GC is getting a Sig X in..I must try it!

I fucked with all the VHTs in there..I really like them. They all share the so-called "brown sound"..major VH vibe to them. But I haven't played the high gain ones yet..I'd love to. But whenever I'm at GC, I go right to the JVM or the JSX..prefebly the JVM. We just get along very well. Takes me one minute to plug in, dial up and go.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Checked out that clip Aron. Very tatsy feel, playing and sound but nothing near the tone I go for. Actually Nick (Kmanick) and I go for the same tones. We have been bonded by Loomis for some time. Bibz is very like minded as well and has a JSX. I'd like to hear some clips from him. He loves Peter Wichers tone on Warrel's release. I can get a Wichers tone with my Marshall, I've been playin parts of songs with my boy and it conveys nicely. Wichers did use a 9200/JMP-1 for some time. I think he uses a Engl powerball now, but it sounds like a JSX on Warrel's stuff IMO. It does sound very nice..I really like it! It has a very focused sharp edge to it. But it was recorded by Wichers himself. He definitely knows what he's doing. He was getting great tones 10 years ago with Soilwork.

Is there any "heavier" VHT samples..that one doesn't do me much good.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The clip I referenced for the sake of the OP, and his question about Deliverance "clean". I think we are on the same page tonewise, Bill - and yes Sig X does metal and does it well. This was an audio review that got me into the idea of grabbing one by DeathMonkey of HC and various music forums:

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=25801

Tasty texture with a nicely narrated review.

Comment

That's much better..but it sounds kinda flubby at the 5:00 mark..when he's starts doin' that fast stuff. I do similar stuff at those speeds so I can't have that. His gain @ 1:00 sounds alot more "hairy" than the Uber. The Uber's gain seems to be smoother in general..that has more grit to it. That's not a bad thing...just my observation. Definitely more gain than any VHT I've heard and didn't resemble anything like VH like most of them do..I'd love to try it. I will if I get the chance.

Comment

I loved the Deliverence when I played it. Very organic sounding. Nice gain structure. If you are into nu metal or need your gain to be like a rectifier dimed then this is not your head. it is more like an Old Modded Marshall sounding amp. Think something like VH 1.

I have heard nothing but gret things about the Sig X. Some guys on the Splawn site have them and love them.

Comment

Really sweet sounding clips....I'd love to try a Sig X.

Comment

I did it for years live with 2203/04's. I never needed prestine Fendery cleans just doing clean arpeggiated parts and intros. I use a combination of volume pedal, delay's level adjustment along with the guitars volume level. As Ross mentioned, pickps have a lot to do with it. I tended to like H-S-S and used stacked single-coils in the middle positon, I would drop the middle pickup down int hebody further away from the strings. If you dont use youneck pickup for leads you can drop that one but I use both bridge and neck pickups for overdriven lead tones.

You'd be surprised on how versatile you can be if you have to be. I could evn coax some clean jazz out 2203's w6650 using the low input jack and a combination f described above.

Funny one of the first things I try even if its a multi channle amp is how it reacts dynamatically to the rolling off of the guitars volume pot
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                  That's much better..but it sounds kinda flubby at the 5:00 mark..when he's starts doin' that fast stuff. I do similar stuff at those speeds so I can't have that. His gain @ 1:00 sounds alot more "hairy" than the Uber. The Uber's gain seems to be smoother in general..that has more grit to it. That's not a bad thing...just my observation. Definitely more gain than any VHT I've heard and didn't resemble anything like VH like most of them do..I'd love to try it. I will if I get the chance.
                  He likely has the lead channel in 40 watt tube rectifier mode at that point. He doesn't even touch the power mode during that demo that I think he recorded on day one with the amp. He also doesn't touch the depth or tone controls in general. After dialing it in and breaking in the components things get a better, much better from a first impression that absolutely floored me.

I run that channel on the looser 40 watt mode, and the rhythm channel on the 100 watt diode rectifier mode - in which tightness, responsiveness and immediacy must be experienced to appreciate . The flub factor might be more than on the Uber overall, but I find it to have highly focused thwack or playable penetrating low end resonance depending on how the controls are set up... and points in between. For almost a grand more, the uber better have it where it counts.

Both Uber and Sig X look fuggin metal on stage. Which is important since I look like a big dork much of the time.

Show last Wednesday, where the Siggy delivered sonic devastation.

Comment

Working...
                  X