No announcement yet.

Carvin Legacy Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It appears that the amp is lost so the review is put on indefinate hold. I am going to need to actually rent an amp for a gig I have next weekend. What a drag.

Comment

John - that really sucks. Hopefully it will show up before then. If you need something for the gig, shoot me an PM - maybe I can help you out.

Comment

How the fuck do you lose something as big as an amp head?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
          How the fuck do you lose something as big as an amp head?
          tell me about it. It left Canada and crossed into the USA on the 17th and thats when it vanished. USPS said they had verification that it entered the USA but thats the last time they saw it.

Comment

Shit, that's lame dude. Hope it turns up soon.

Comment

Man that sux.... I was looking forward to your review and compairing notes as I just got one also. It really sux not having it for a gig but hopefully it will turn up soon.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                tell me about it. It left Canada and crossed into the USA on the 17th and thats when it vanished. USPS said they had verification that it entered the USA but thats the last time they saw it.
                Was it shipped Parcel Post? That's the slow way and they will let a Parcel Post package sit for a couple weeks just to emphasize the fact that you should have paid for faster postage..

I waited 2 weeks for an old Electra Omega Les Paul once because of that. It was sent from Houston to Los Angeles, which should have taken 2-3 days. But since it wasn't shipped First Class they took their sweet time.

Aggravating factor was that I asked for Priority Mail and told the guy I'd pay more if necessary, but that was $5 more and he "wasn't sure I meant it" when I said I'd pay extra.
                Last edited by lerxstcat; 10-30-2008, 11:30 AM.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                  Was it shipped Parcel Post? That's the slow way and they will let a Parcel Post package sit for a couple weeks just to emphasize the fact that you should have paid for faster postage..

I waited 2 weeks for an old Electra Omega Les Paul once because of that. It was sent from Houston to Los Angeles, which should have taken 2-3 days. But since it wasn't shipped First Class they took their sweet time.

Aggravating factor was that I asked for Priority Mail and told the guy I'd pay more if necessary, but that was $5 more and he "wasn't sure I meant it" when I said I'd pay extra.
                  It shipped express mail and should have arrived in 7 days according to the Canadian Postal Service. It was shipped on the 15th and it crossed into the USA on the 17th. If vanished after that and the USPS has no record of it except for the tracking # which just shows that it was on the way to the boarder.

Comment

It isn't stuck in customs, is it? I buy chemicals from a Canadian company, and Customs has been VERY slow on incoming material.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                      It isn't stuck in customs, is it? I buy chemicals from a Canadian company, and Customs has been VERY slow on incoming material.

I shipped Zeegler my Marshall and its stuck in customs. I assume the Legacy is also stuck in customs. Many people have told me that they could be stuck there for weeks.
                      Bummer.. but I'll survive.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                        It shipped express mail and should have arrived in 7 days according to the Canadian Postal Service. It was shipped on the 15th and it crossed into the USA on the 17th. If vanished after that and the USPS has no record of it except for the tracking # which just shows that it was on the way to the boarder.
                        That's what sucks about USPS; it's not really a tracking # at all,just a Delivery Confirmation #. They represent it as a tracking # when selling you the service, but they backpedal when you ask them where it is.

Really sorry to hear this, John. I'm sure it'll turn up eventually but it sure sucks when you need it for a gig. I hope you dig it after all this aggravation.
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Good luck getting it soon. Where is the gig? NJ?

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V View Post
                            Good luck getting it soon. Where is the gig? NJ?
                            We are playing at a club called Legends up near New London, CT

Comment

I got it today! Here is the review as promised.
                              Clean Channel... Its the same as an X100B and the same as the V3. It is a fantastic clean channel with tons of body and very easy to dial in. Responds to pedals very well in either the loop or out in front. Its damn good.
                              Lead Channel... sounds like a cross between a DSL100 and a Mark IV. It has the bottom end and tightness of a Mark IV but the midrange and the gain of a DSL100.
                              Is it good for modern metal straight out of the box.. nope. The reason is that its not a modern voiced gain. Its not in the least scooped, its not extremely tight and it is definately on the dark side in terms of tone. Sweet spot on the gain channel seems to be around 6-7. Anymore than that and it gets a little fuzzy unless you can turn it up loud. With the gain on 6-7 you can do just about any of Vai's lead tones. It reacts extremely well to the volume control on your guitar and it has a really nice definition in all frequency ranges.
                              The reverb is typical Carvin. Its excellent and its long tailed.
                              The amp is also extremely quiet. It hardly makes any hissing at all. The V3 is the same way. Extremely quiet for a high gain amp.
                              I would think if you wanted to use it for modern metal you could switch the power tubes to 6L6's.
                              Who would I recommend the Legacy to??
                              Lead guitar players or players who like to use the clean channel on an amp and use stomp boxes for distortion. I would not recommend it to modern, nu, death or thrash players.
                              What popular amps does it sound like??
                              Lets start with what it doesn't sound like..
                              Any of the Rectifier Series
                              JCM900 (the JCM900 has a singing high gain Marshall tone that is very hard to duplicate)
                              MT3200
                              Soldano
                              VHT Pitbull
                              Engl Powerball
                              Bogner Ubershall
                              Peavey 5150

What does it remind me of...
                              Bogner Ecstasy 101B
                              Modded JCM800
                              X100B but much less fuzzy with a ton more gain
                              Mesa Mark III and Mark IV
                              DSL100 If the DSL100 was tighter and had more bottom end it would be very close sounding to the Legacy.
                              Carvin Quad X
                              Mesa Caliber Series.. especially the 50 Caliber.
                              The clean channel sounds a little like the Mesa Nomad series too.
                              It also reminds me a little of the Cornford tone (although I have never heard one live)
                              Crate BV120 (but with much less fuzz and no clipping at all)

Bottom line is that its a great amp for a soloist. Its a great amp for the player who likes their lead tone to sound like Vai, Satriani, Petrucci, Guthrie and other players with that similar tone.
                              Its the wrong amp for the player who likes their lead tone to sound like Lynch, DeMartini, Rhoads, Beach etc......
                              But what about the rhythm player?
                              If you are a super high gain scooped palm muted chunkaholic... forget it. Find another amp.
                              If you are a drop C player... forget it. Find another amp.
                              If you think the 5150 doesn't have enough gain... forget it. Find another amp.
                              If you like your rhythm tone to sound like a chainsaw... forget it. Find another amp.

If you like your rhythm tone to be heavy and a little on the dark side but extremely articulate this is the amp.
                              If you like your rhythm tone to be very reactive to what type of guitar you are playing this is the amp.
                              If you like Steve Vai's rhythm tone this is your amp.
                              I think its very simple to know if you are going to like the Legacy. If you like Steve Vai's rhythm and lead tone you will love the Legacy.
                              To me.. its the first signature amp I have ever heard that really sounds extremely close to the tone you hear live and on the records. Just throw a delay and a Lil-Alligator in the loop and a wah out in front and you are 85% there.
                              One last thing.. if you are a bedroom player or are forced to play at extremely low volume.. forget the Legacy. Its loud on 2. Even at 1 it might be too loud for some home players.
                              If you want to know what it sound like just go on Youtube and look up the Legacy clips. Most of them are a very good reflection of what the amp sounds like. If you have the chops and style that Steve Vai has you can really nail his tone with this amp.

Comment

Great Review Thanks

I want one of everything .... and a glazed donut.

TO GO!

Comment

Working...
                                X