No announcement yet.

Need a rack processor recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the G-System effects the same as the G-Force: just in a handy new format? I'm sure they're great, but I'd note that at 5-10X the price of the other units being discussed I'm not sure that "bang for buck" is a particularly good descriptor.

Comment

Originally posted by rstites View Post
      Are the G-System effects the same as the G-Force: just in a handy new format? I'm sure they're great, but I'd note that at 5-10X the price of the other units being discussed I'm not sure that "bang for buck" is a particularly good descriptor.
      I've never A/B'd them because I never had them at the same time but I believe the effects are G-Force quality.

As for bang for buck, you have to consider what you are getting:
      • A fantastic effects unit - easily a cut above the $200-400 units discussed in this thread
      • A fantastic foot controller - much better than a Behringer FCB or a MIDIMate which run $100-200
      • A power supply for your stomp boxes - these run $100 or more
      • A programmable 4-channel effects loop - these run a $150 on up
      • An amp switcher that is MIDI controllable - these run $150 on up
      • Inline boost that attenuates in the loop - these run $150 on up
      • Tuner on the floor - these are $75 on up
      So if you score some of this stuff used you could put together a rig with similar functionality for roughly the same price as the G-System. But it wouldn't sound as good and it wouldn't be as easy to use. And you have more cables and moving parts.

Keep in mind it is all integrated in one unit. IOW, you setup a patch in one unit and you are done. With discrete units you program the effects unit, configure your foot controller for the patch, configure the effects looper, and then you configure the amp switcher.

If you are comparing just the effects and you have no need for the other features then there are cheaper alternatives. But I don't know many guitarists using a rack rig that don't also use some pedals, need a foot controller, want to switch amp channels, have a solo boost always available, etc.
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by nateb View Post
        I have one also. This is a quality unit. I am using an GPS-1101 in the loop for all my boosts. The only thing that I dont like in the G-System is their phaser. Oh yeah, you can also program this thing from your computer also via USB. The only thing about that is that the vista connectivity is a little "shitty"

-Nate
        How are the overdrive and other pedal models in the GPS-1101?

- Newc

Comment

And what about the Vibe?

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
            How are the overdrive and other pedal models in the GPS-1101?
            To be honest Tim. I have been using the 808 and the Tubescreamer model out of the unit. I have a maxon OD-808 which I have not tried yet. Sometime soon, I will give it a shot and let you know. One thing I can tell you is that the tone I am getting almost mimic's early Testament (Think Musical Death lead tone)

What has really helped out is that I am no longer running the Uberschall at 100% gain. I brought it down to about 2:30->3:00 and boosting it with the screamer. It really tightened the tone up, added a shitload of attack... I need to mess with the clean channel and to a little more testing to see how it sounds.

-Nate
            Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Thanks for the info Nate. Something like the GPS1101 could simplify things for me but only if it's got a good Univibe setting as well.

I need to check one of these out...

- Newc

Comment

I use a POD Pro with great results. The trick - use the "tube preamp" setting - all knobs at noon. You may need to tweak the gain setting to taste so it doesn't color your sound.

All I really ever use is the delay & chorus anyway, so it's perfect for me.
                Last edited by chrisolson; 10-17-2008, 07:48 AM.

Comment

G force is a very good fx processor. The Xpression is also a decent fx for the price range
                  CURRENT GEAR SET UP
                  2005 JACKSON SOLOIST
                  1989 JACKSON KING V
                  1984 JACKSON RR
                  AXE FX II
                  MESA BOOGIE 2:90
                  DMC GROUND CONTROL PRO
                  FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER
                  (2) MESA BOOGIE 4X12 RECTO CABINETS
                  (2) MESA BOOGIE 2X12 RECTO CABINETS

Comment

A total sleeper is the Digitech TSR24S

You can find these babies for less than $100 on ebay and let me tell you they are simply awesome! Very in depth in regards to tweaking your tones and patches but some of the best ever reverbs and delays I have heard.

Now I know that many people will shake their heads and maybe say that Digitech makes low end stuff but have a look through this review and see for yourself...

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995...techtsr24.html

The reverbs alone are very nearly on par with a lexicon PCM71 for a fraction of the price. I know as I have owned both units and A/B ed them side by side.

I have also seen them in many pro rigs and it happens to be my favourite FX unit.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

i used to want a lexicon xm200 or whatever its called

then i wanted a tc electronics g sharp

i ended up getting a old digitech dsp 128 from the 80's

it was only $20 and i LOVE it, it has ups and downs but it is a great toy

id get something better though, like one of the newer digitech rack fx processors

but one thing i hate about them is theyre digital, not analog. analog sounds alot better...

pedals can be analog, somthing to think about....
                        Jackson/Charvel. Mesa/Boogie. MXR. Dunlop. Seymour Duncan. Any questions..???

Comment

Originally posted by rickydekker View Post
                          i used to want a lexicon xm200 or whatever its called

then i wanted a tc electronics g sharp

i ended up getting a old digitech dsp 128 from the 80's

it was only $20 and i LOVE it, it has ups and downs but it is a great toy

id get something better though, like one of the newer digitech rack fx processors

but one thing i hate about them is theyre digital, not analog. analog sounds alot better...

pedals can be analog, somthing to think about....
                          Wow! DSP 128, now there is a blast from the past! Back when those came out they were the first affordable rack proccessors that could do 3 effects at once for guitar. Shortly thereafter they released the DSP 128+ which could do 4 effects at once. I used those with my MP-1 in the late 80's live then replaced the DSP with the Korg A3. Yes, the 80's were fun times with racks
                          Rudy
                          www.metalinc.net

Comment

I've used both the Xpression and Intellifex. The Intellifex has better chorus (up to 8 voice) & more reverb / delay options, but for guitar I'd say go with the Xpression for the phaser and rotary emulator effects.

Comment

G-Major. Very true regarding the noise gate and the tuner. The other feature that sold me was the capability to switch channels along with the patch using a midi controller.
                              Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

Working...
                              X