Delay + Boost in one pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toejam View Post
    Sounds cool. I loved Troops of Doom, too! Now I gotta go dig that cassette out.
    Thanks Joe. We're practicing a cover of that song as played in D-standard instead of E-standard.
    Sam

Comment

I sure wish someone carried this pedal locally, because I really want to try one out. After our set on Saturday, someone commented that my solos didnt' "jump out" very much. I don't want an over-the-top volume boost, but I guess the DD-2's subtle boost isn't helping as much as I always thought. Then again, I was running my pedalboard through a different rig (JSX clean channel + G-Flex 412) instead of my normal power amp and cab, and had a hell of a time getting the tone I wanted.

Any popping or clicking when turning the Tech 21 on and off?
      sigpic

Comment

nope. None whatsoever, even at ear shattering levels. The tone knob is really versatile. When I'm playing rhythm, my overall sound is pretty bright, but for soloing, I make it warmer sounding. Its not a true bypass pedal. You dont have to press the switch too hard to engage the pedal either.
        Sam

Comment

OK, the GAS is really hitting me hard today. Someone local suggested a shop not too far away that might have one, so I'm going to (hopefully) try it out this weekend. I definitely want a little variety between my rhythm and lead tones, and the way you are describing the DLA, it's exactly what I am looking for.
          sigpic

Comment

Sorry for inducing the GAS. But the moment I read about the pedal, I knew I had to have it. I bet they have started a new trend and more pedals are gonna come out with this boost function. Even though its only a 9dB boost, I'm barely at 2 and my bandmate starts shouting "you're too loud" But the boost level also depends on how much "wet/dry mix" you have.

My only gripe is that the tone knob is not an overall tone difference and works only on the delayed signal. So, if you run a 25% wet, for example, the tone knob hardly makes a difference in the sound. The best would be to set it at 50% dry, 50% wet and go from there.
            Sam

Comment

I tried one of these out yesterday. I'm glad I didn't just order one without testing, because I probably would have been pretty frustrated at first. It took a lot of tweaking to get the delay to react the way I wanted. I was really surprised at how much the different controls interact with each other. Most digital pedals (including my Boss DDs) give "instant gratification" in terms of how each knob controls an aspect of the sound. On the Tech 21, it seemed as thought I had to adjust every setting to make the same changes that would require just one knob on a Boss.

However, I did end up buying it on layaway, so I'll go back to pick it up in a few weeks. I just hope nobody opens the box to demo it and changes the settings I had dialed in, because I was able to get a really good solo boost with the precise amount of delay I like.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X