Fender Amp Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Guys,

Thanks again for the replies and advice. I have decided to go to the local music shop and take my axe to have a go with a few of the amps I am considering. As some of you know, I had a hotrod deluxe in the past that I liked, but griped about the excessive volume. I would be open to giving some of the amps that are the size of the hotrod a shot now that I have ordered the omnisonic volume box. I decided to get this device as it was only approx $35.00 and felt that it may assist with limiting volume without sacrificing tone. I read a lot of good review on the product, and the maker of it was pleasant and informative. Anyway, I have been thinking about the Blues Deluxe, as I liked the sound that came out of it. I know this is quite similar to a hotrod, but I want to see for myself. I am hoping that my volume box arrives by the weekend so that I can take it to the store to try with this, and other suggested amps that they may have on hand. It may help.

I previously had a Dr.Z attenuator for my hotrod and felt that although it decreased the volume, it still needed to be loud to keep the desired tone. However, this volume box works differently in that it is plugged into the fx loop of the amp, whereas the Dr.Z was plugged between the amp and the speaker. I don't know how much of a difference it will actually make, but it may be worth a try.

For those of you who want to know more about the device, check it out on ebay by typing omnisonic volume box. The maker is friendly and approachable. I don't know much in terms of the tech side of things, so if you are interested, better you ask him than me. I can just tell you if it works. Anyway, when it comes in, I will keep you all posted and I will get back to you on my weekend trying amps.

Thanks again

Comment

Nhlstar, if you need the "true" Fender amp tone, then you must look at historical Fender amp circuit designs, rather than the HRD, BD etc.

I have tried extensively the Princeton Recording, and as you say I found it too bright sounding, with the built in overdrive and compressor being just mediocre at best. The power attenuator is a useful feature, but in a 15W amp you don't really need one, unless you plan to use it only in your bedroom...

What instead I highly recommend is the new Princeton Reverb, also 15W, all tube, which sounds much warmer than the Recording, has a gorgeous reverb and tremolo, and it breaks up nicely with the volume at 5 and up, plus it takes pedals very well.

I use it to record clean parts and even for small gigs (no need to mic it up), with a TC Electronic Distortion + Booster in front.

Comment

I still think a Deluxe Reverb Reissue is a better deal.
        The pricing of the Princeton Reverb is out of whack...the price should drop.

The DRRI has a 12" speaker, 22 watts, and you will need to attenuate either one for home playing. But IMO the DRRI will hold value much better than the PRRI.

Comment

Working...
        X