The ultimate delay pedal...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toejam View Post
    Does a DD-3 sound good in front of a distorted amp, though?

If you read closely you will see that they mention it works on a distorted signal in front of an amp and exceptionally well on a clean signal
    Thats just like most any other delay pedal.

Timed based effects ALWAYS sound better in the loop. Don't believe that marketing hype.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
      Timed based effects ALWAYS sound better in the loop. Don't believe that marketing hype.
      Except that some amps don't have an effects loop so you have to run them up front or mod the amp to add a loop.
      I have moved my pedals into a rack tray and use a Ground Control Pro with GCX switcher to turn them on/off. I run the delay, chorus, and reverb pedals in the loop and the phaser up front with this setup. My next pedal board which I'm going to put together soon will have the Eventide Timefactor, Modfactor, Fulltone Wah, and Boss Harmonist pedals all up front. That way I can use this board with any of my amps regardless of loops. Another factor in this is that some amps, my Bogner Uberschall for example, has a loop which does not get along with pedals in it all! It works fine with line level rack units such as my G-Major but with the above mentioned pedals forget it. I even tried using an Ebtech box to convert instrument to line level and it still didn't work. The same pedals through the loop of my Randal RM100 however work fine. My Marshall has no loop so I will be forced to run pedals upfront. You just have to try each setup and see what works and what doesn't
      Rudy
      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
        Except that some amps don't have an effects loop so you have to run them up front or mod the amp to add a loop.
        I have moved my pedals into a rack tray and use a Ground Control Pro with GCX switcher to turn them on/off. I run the delay, chorus, and reverb pedals in the loop and the phaser up front with this setup. My next pedal board which I'm going to put together soon will have the Eventide Timefactor, Modfactor, Fulltone Wah, and Boss Harmonist pedals all up front. That way I can use this board with any of my amps regardless of loops. Another factor in this is that some amps, my Bogner Uberschall for example, has a loop which does not get along with pedals in it all! It works fine with line level rack units such as my G-Major but with the above mentioned pedals forget it. I even tried using an Ebtech box to convert instrument to line level and it still didn't work. The same pedals through the loop of my Randal RM100 however work fine. My Marshall has no loop so I will be forced to run pedals upfront. You just have to try each setup and see what works and what doesn't
        I hear you but is very difficult to set up a delay out in front of a distorted amp and next to impossible to balance it if you happen to have a 2 channel amp with a clean and gain channel and you are using the amps distortion.

Comment

Yeah, I want to use a delay in front of my THD Univalve which doesn't have a loop. I like most delay pedals fine on a clean setting, but it doesn't sound that good when the amp is distorted.
          My Tech 21 Trademark 300 head has two loops, one parallel and one serial, but they're line level and don't work well with pedals either.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

450ms of max delay is not much though... OK you don't *have* to play the solo from Brighton Rock all the time (actually, you don't have to play it all all...), but it'd be nicer to have a bit more range.

My ultimate delay is the Yamaha UD Stomp, 8 super clean digital delays that you can configure at the same time, for any kind of time-based effect, real chorusing, swells, multi-delays etc.... Nothing beats it.

Comment

problem is, in the front of an overdriven amp you are distorting the original guitar signal AND the delay, so they mush together. One thing you can do is go guitar > overdrive/distortion pedal > delay, this will help a little bit if you cut gain on the amp and use the pedal for it.

A really good choice for a delay pedal is the Boss DD20 - four presets, has a crazy amount of delay time, tap tempo, can do choruses on your delayed signal, and is line level, so it works great in the loop. Also can be switched to instrument level too.

Comment

The MXR Carbon Copy works nice in front of an amp.
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Some men need delay pedals. In sex.
                  I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Not if you have a low natural repeat timer.

:ROTF:
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by surfreak View Post
                      450ms of max delay is not much though...
                      It's fine for me, as I only like to use a tiny bit most of the time anyway. I like it more for clean tones, but I also like to thicken my distorted rhythm tones with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                        problem is, in the front of an overdriven amp you are distorting the original guitar signal AND the delay, so they mush together. One thing you can do is go guitar > overdrive/distortion pedal > delay, this will help a little bit if you cut gain on the amp and use the pedal for it.

A really good choice for a delay pedal is the Boss DD20 - four presets, has a crazy amount of delay time, tap tempo, can do choruses on your delayed signal, and is line level, so it works great in the loop. Also can be switched to instrument level too.
                        Thanks, Pete. That's a good idea guitar into overdrive and then delay. I'll have to check out the Boss DD20, too.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                          The MXR Carbon Copy works nice in front of an amp.
                          Thanks, Tim. I've also been wondering about that pedal. I like how that has a chorus modulation button on there, too.

Comment

On my Marshall with no loop, going guitar>delay>distortion pedal may work well however my Bogner Uberschall needs no distortion pedal in front of it. And I'm afraid that its loop is not that great as I hear a change in tone when I have something in the loop. The Eventide pedals can go line level or instrument level so I may have to try both ways on the Uber but the Marshall is definetly going to have to be upfront.
                            ...Or, I could just go play with my Axe FX in which case all this loop, effects, etc... becomes moot. Its all internal to the unit and sounds incredible!
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

I've heard good things about the TC Electronic nova delays... I've considered trading my Line 6 Echo Park up for one. I like the EP in front. I think it has a bit more punch and effect to it. The only downside is they don't remember settings and are VERY hard to dial in, despite their great sounds.

Comment

Working...
                              X