Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best distortion/setup for hot-rodded Marshall tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slayer View Post
    I`ve got 2/3 of that setup bro!! Looking for a JFX-1 now
    Awesome, duplicate the exact same gear and you will have awesomness!!! If they have the stock sovteks in them and its working fine..don't fuck with it!!!

Whatever you do, don't break out the golden screwdriver!!!

Now on the monoblock make sure you always have it switched to the modern voice on both sides...and always run both poweramp volumes maxed. Use the JMP-1's output control as your main volume control..that's the only way to do it!!

Once you add the JFX-1..I'll tell you how to run that and give you my settings to start with. I can't remember, do you have two cabs..that's the way to go. If not a stereo cab will do..but two cabs is da bomb..four is even better ..
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

My 9100 switches say A and B. Which is the modern voice?

Comment

Project Hot Rod Marshall continues!

I just pulled the trigger on a JMP-1 to plug into my 9100/G-Flex.

While I play the waiting game for delivery of the JMP-1, anyone have recommended settings for me to try out when it gets here? (Looking for a VH Fair Warning-era tone).

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
          Nah..V30s or greenbacks sound cool for recording and low to moderate levels..but to really get VH LOUD @ band levels Celestion 80's or 70's are where's its at or the 75's will do just fine. I have FIVE Marshall 1960 cabs worth of Celestion 75's and nailing Van Halen's tone is second nature for me...easy as shootin' my sherbert!

The Peavey 5150 Shefields are just their celestion 75 knockoffs basically.
          " easy as :ROTF:shootin my sherbert"...now thats funny!

Comment

Whats with all this MARSHALL TALK ?? Early VH tone... is just a Vox
            Tonelab SE
            and a Boss PS-5 ! Kent Carlevi... Check this out Bill ... it's about
            20% more VH, than yours is! (im going to hell for this blasphemy!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxz6s...eature=related

Without any 4/12 cabs or even an amp! (no marshalls were injured during this video! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqsue...eature=related
            Last edited by Robert Burns; 12-07-2008, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
              Tonelab SE

Without any 4/12 cabs or even an amp! (no marshalls were injured during this video! LOL

Get out the Q-Tips Rob. I think you might need some rest bro.~~~

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                Get out the Q-Tips Rob. I think you might need some rest bro.~~~

..man, you got that right John. Bobby..maybe Santa will get you a hearing aid for Christmas. Just go to any mall and sit on his lap in your tighty whities..that'll do it!!!

You're a good guy Bob..your fuggin' silly man!!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
                  My 9100 switches say A and B. Which is the modern voice?
                  B is modern
                  A is vintage

I'm using 5881 tubed 9200 just like Horns, and I am never changin to anything else, because it rips.
                  I'm using an Engl 620 preamp, but someday I'm going to get a JMP-1 just to hear what it sounds like into my 9200.

I agree with Horns on this poweramp, it really is that good. Now I'm not typically a Marshall guy, but I'm a believer now.
                  I'm using a bone stock 1960B cab and running 16ohm mono.
                  'Howling in shadows
                  Living in a lunar spell
                  He finds his heaven
                  Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Quicksilver if you heard my tone..you'd be on a hellbent mission..trust me man.

As far a just plugging straight into a amp head for classic Van Halen tone at ANY volume levels. I've certainly tried and owned a shitload. For VH Fair Warning sound..a couple amps immediately come to mind.. a Soldano SL60 (NAILS unchained like nothing else I've heard), Marshall 2210, there's quite a few VHTs, one I liked was a CL without the graphic EQ. If you have the means a Soldano SLO will definitely get you in the ballpark. Unfortunately, the 5150III doesn't do a bad job achieving classic VH..but they are certainly problematic sumbitches..just ask Sean Rafferty.

But I must say with all sincerity, My JMP-1/ JFX-1/Marshall 9200 really captures the "recorded"...or "canned" studio tones of Van Halen better than anything. High end "boutique amps" sound too good for authentic Van Halen tones. Cleve-John and I can actually get a more "hi fi" version of Van Halen tones, with more chunk, girth and clarity with our high end CAE+3 and Bogner rigs..but it just doesn't capture what you hear on the record at all. I loved all the Splawn clips that I've heard..but again maybe they sound too good for true Van Halen tone...if that makes sense. When I mean true Van Halen tone..I mean the closest tone you can possibly get to the actual studio recording...so it sounds just like the record. This was a 20 quest until I doscovered exactly what I was looking for.

Now you can do it the way my ol' Van Halen fanatic bud did years ago and duplicate very opice of of gear Ed used in the studio. Marshall SL, a Variac turned down to 90 volts, Roland space echo, Echoplex, MXR script phase 90, Flanger, and ect..and the dude really had Ed's playing down. But it was a noisy trainwreck..Old Marshall were notorious for picking up radio stations, CB radios and all kinds of shit..and was it noisy as hell. It damn sounded damn good when the band was playing becaus all the hiss, hum and noise was burined in the mix..but DAMN that shit was noisy mess that no hush unit in the world could tame without decapitating notes in mid sing!! BUT that's exactly what Eddie used..and that was far from anything remotely "boutique". Eddie's tone is Eddie's hands.

I'm sure Clevo John and John G remember that shit..we been around for a while...when Van Halen was a brand new band, and quickly a fuggin' way of life and quest.

Comment

you can eleiminate the radio station issues by using an all metal plug between pedals instead of chords.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                        B is modern
                        A is vintage

I'm using 5881 tubed 9200 just like Horns, and I am never changin to anything else, because it rips.
                        I'm using an Engl 620 preamp, but someday I'm going to get a JMP-1 just to hear what it sounds like into my 9200.

I agree with Horns on this poweramp, it really is that good. Now I'm not typically a Marshall guy, but I'm a believer now.
                        I'm using a bone stock 1960B cab and running 16ohm mono.
                        Yeah, man..the modern of the 9200 w/ 5881s sound fuggin' killer. I'm still in love with the damn thing since 1996. It the most consistant amp I've ever owned..and with the JMP-1, and JFX-1 with the Marshall 1960B cabs..it one great sounding system. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I think the JFX-1 adds alot to the mojo of the system too..because it has such a smooth and warm delay, becauase it was designed exclusively for guitar and not for PA racks.....it doesn't have all the bells ans whistles like a G Major. But the delat sounds better than thge G Major. I NEED the G Major with the Bogner because with a high gain like that you're going to have alot of noise..of course. But with the 9200/JMP-1 is quiet as hell. I crank this thing until my teeth hurt and it doesn't require a hush unit whatsoever. What I REALLY love is every single note on the guitar sings like there's a sustainer of the fucker. I've owned a few hush units..I never liked them. But noise gate in the G Major is extremely trasparent, and extremely effective...no chopped off notes or "pumping" noises. You don't even notice it at all ...until you bypass it...wow!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                          Tonelab SE

I thought the guy was pretty good at it and the sound was a good representative of that era. Missing a lil bit, bit still decent. I never liked that era's guitar tone all that much anyways...

Bill's sound isn't like that. He doesn't shoot for the later VH anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                            ..man, you got that right John. Bobby..maybe Santa will get you a hearing aid for Christmas. Just go to any mall and sit on his lap in your tighty whities..that'll do it!!!

You're a good guy Bob..your fuggin' silly man!!!
                            ** Im laughing! Glad you guys put up with my shit..but i have to say..
                            been listening to VH since 77... saw their first tour...which was like the
                            bar band days, with almost no stage.. and you guys dont think those
                            Youtube Kent Carlevi vids, sound like EVH?? Really? I was just trying
                            to get a rise outta BillZ, (cause his VH IS KILLER SOUNDING), but
                            this Kent guy has a super smooth technique, and just nails it imo...
                            I am old..hearing is weak...but not that weak! I do know that a
                            Bogner Uber has the best brutal ive ever heard! How would i get this
                            right, if i was way off on Kent's VH tone? Did you guys listen to any
                            of his other vids? Most are the Sammy era tones...but it's still "Huge" sounding imo.

Comment

You're not way off, it does have a lot of the nuances. And THAT is largely in his hands... HOWEVER, a lot of what he's doing wouldn't come off with out the right amplification, and that stuff does bring it out. It's missing stuff, but it does allow him to play the material effectively.

I've heard POD guys nail the VH tone in much the same manner.

Yeah, Bill's old guitarist (Tony) really did eat, live and sleep Vanhalen. He played in my band for a long time and even I was often a lil jealous of some things he could do.

Comment

http://www.blankenshipamps.com/#/pro...riplex_series/

Blakenship Variplex - goes from 0 to 50 Watts (or 100W depending on what you want). Listen to the sound sample. Not cheap, but he builds stellar amps...

Comment

Working...
                                X