No announcement yet.

Dimebag Squeals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah thats another reason I prefer 22 fret over 24 frets, cause I'm used to picking in the same spot. The pickups are closer together on a 24 fret.

But action and pickup dynamics are another issue as well.
    Good post!
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I can get them to really ring out on the g-string and b-string, but anything on the A or E just sounds weak. I've got a pretty high-gain setup...any tips? Do you think it might be action-related?
      Scott

Comment

is your tone really scooped? If it is that can hold you back, until you get them nailed.

Comment

speaking of natural harmonics... here's a thing I do all the time on my tele... it's a combination of ideas I stole from Jeff Beck and Steve Lukather....

on A string you play natural harmonics on the 5th, then 4th and then 3rd fret and then on the 5th fret on the G string and pushing the G string down behind the nut on the headstock to raise the pitch a whole step and then "bouncing" or "shaking" it up and down to make a vibrato.

and with a tele (or Lp, strat, whatever) you can do a different version of Reb Beach's crazy natural harmonic runs on the A string... which he does with a whammy bar.
          you just hit the right spots and their combinations with the fretting hand and with the picking hand you bend and vibrate the A string behind the nut on the headstock.

for example on the A sting you hit the 5th fret with the fretting hand finger and then push the string down behind the nut on the headstock with the picking hand (the arms are kinda crossed) to get the tone half step higher and then releasing/bringing it back down, then the same with the 4th fret and then 7th fret... it's a pretty cool combination
          Last edited by Endrik; 09-30-2008, 03:09 PM.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
            I can get them to really ring out on the g-string and b-string, but anything on the A or E just sounds weak. I've got a pretty high-gain setup...any tips? Do you think it might be action-related?
            action might change something but not really that much when it comes to squeals.... the fretting hand makes a big difference... how strong your fingers are... how well they are doing the vibrato and bends which really help the pinched harmonic to scream.
            John Sykes does a lot of squeals on the A string... on 5th and 7th fret mostly... it's so intense sounding that some people think he is doing with a whammy bar... but it's just he has very strong hands and the widest vibrato in the world which allows him to really shake it hard. He has a pretty low action on his guitars, I've tried to do it with low and high action... with high action it was a little bit easier for me personally because that's how I usually play and you can bend/vibrate the A string under the D string that way... but sound wise... there's not much difference.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I wasnt talking about pinch harmonics. I can do them no problem on any string, on pretty much any guitar no matter gain levels to almost Zakk Wylde levels of superfluity.

I was talking about where Dime does the, "depress the trem, flick the string on the way back up, pull up the bar" type squeals. I KNOW it's possible to get this effect by doing that, but I find it hard to believe that's all he's doing - especially since I've seen videos where he mentions using effects pedals (such as the flanger or whammy?), presumably to help with these.
              Last edited by MartinBarre; 09-30-2008, 03:20 PM.
              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

another thing I've noticed is that squeals ring out better with lighter strings... but I don't like the feel of 'em so I stick with the heavy ones

but the godfather of squeals Billy Gibbons uses very light strings and low tunings... he makes 'em sound awesome on every string.

maybe that will help some of you

Comment

You guys have to remember... Just like the 5th, 7th, and 12th frets produce the easiest and loudest natural harmonics on the fretboard, there are areas past the fretboard toward the bridge that produce them with the same ease. All you need to do is find out where those spots are. Pick the note and lightly brush the string in the sweet spot with your thumb immediately afterward. Do that, and you should be able to produce good, loud, sustaining pinch harmonics on an acoustic guitar. (not to come across as an expert on the subject or anything. Hell... I have a tendency to get too carried away and jam my thumb in there too hard muting the harmonic).

To get good at doing it, all you just have to put the time in and practice it just like everything else on the guitar. There's not easy way out IMO.

Comment

Yeah, those can be made anywhere by touching the string that you picked, 12 frets away.
                    For example: pick the G on the 5th fret, touch the G on the 17th lightly and it will ring as a harmonic.
                    Once you run out of fretboard, you have to find that 'sweet spot' as you described. It takes some practice and memorizing, but it's an awesome effect.
                    'Howling in shadows
                    Living in a lunar spell
                    He finds his heaven
                    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
                      I wasnt talking about pinch harmonics. I can do them no problem on any string, on pretty much any guitar no matter gain levels to almost Zakk Wylde levels of superfluity.

I was talking about where Dime does the, "depress the trem, flick the string on the way back up, pull up the bar" type squeals. I KNOW it's possible to get this effect by doing that, but I find it hard to believe that's all he's doing - especially since I've seen videos where he mentions using effects pedals (such as the flanger or whammy?), presumably to help with these.
                      It's possible, you just need practice. High-gain should be enough to get it compressed enough to get the squeal out (since you're not picking the string at all). Dime used a flanger/doubler just to make it sound better, but the basic technique is still there.

Comment

Originally posted by paige View Post
                        is your tone really scooped? If it is that can hold you back, until you get them nailed.
                        Nope, I like me some mids. I guess it's just a practice issue.
                        Scott

Comment

Working...
                        X