No announcement yet.

Peavey Jsx vs EVH MkIII vs...JMP1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be hanging out in Piedmont, Liguria, Tuscany, Monaco and Provence next summer, my good friend who lives Nice (and in Los Angeles) has shit loads of amps and all kinds of gear there which he often loans/rents to bands who are touring in Europe... when I'm there... I'm glad to jam and mess around with amps with anyone who's interested.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Well, I am glad to hear that, Horns666!

Before posting this thread I carefully read almost all those related to the JSX and enjoyed your replies very much!
      I have always found them very...how can I say, over the top, on the edge (sorry if I say something wrong, but English is not exactly my mother-tongue), of course in a positive way as if you were the good old friend whom people always rely upon when in need for a suggestion.

I can easily find some "italianity", if you know what I mean, in your messages. I find them warm and cozy, like many italian people, specially from the south (like you) often are...hospitable I would say!
      Make me feel at home I'd say.

Hey, isn't it that you can't find it on the map because the place you are talking about is Campobasso, which is a small town in the "Molise" region, south of Abruzzo?:idea:
      I live in the north, somewhere between Milan and Venice, at Lake Garda, which is a beautiful place for holidays, full of tourists during summer.

Endrik, hopefully when summer comes, my JMP-1 will be sold...I need cash to buy the new head!

Rock on!
      O sole mio......

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
        I'll be hanging out in Piedmont, Liguria, Tuscany, Monaco and Provence next summer, my good friend who lives Nice (and in Los Angeles) has shit loads of amps and all kinds of gear there which he often loans/rents to bands who are touring in Europe... when I'm there... I'm glad to jam and mess around with amps with anyone who's interested.
        What do you do that you can travel like that? I'd be happy to just go to Nice!

Comment

Seicorde THANKS!!!

Because of her dialect, my granda always pronounced things differently than correct Italian. She would always shorten words. For example, she would soften the C to a G ..she say Campobasso like "Gambobas" and sometimes Gambobasso.

Today my brorhter is coming over for diner. My wife is making Cavatelli. She makes the sauce all day with sausage, meatballs..well she make the sauce once a week since we been married for 22 years. My mon did the same thing. My family didn't say Cavatelli..they always said "Cavadel"...or Rocatta..."Rogotta"..They screwed everthing up. My grandma used to talk to a neighbor lady from northen Italy and had a hard time understanding each other. Sometimes another lady would translate what each of them said..man, that was funny!

Finally, I can look up Campobasso near Abruz..I mean Abruzzo. My grandma would always say "Go to Naples" when she got mad. She would shout and throw up her hand "Ahhh..Fanaplova"..well that's would it would sound like. She was 99 years old and say things like "I hope you burst", The face of the devil" "Your mother's face".."faciadiabla"..facialamomma ,"Ahhh Vanfangu..or "Fangulascha". It almost impossible to spell any of that right. But that's where I came from...

You know the Metal horns eh?..Maleocchio..yeah, Italians invented that too!!! Dio's grandma taught him that!! My grandma did the same thing. She would break out the oil and water , cross my forhead and say a secret prayer and say.."sonamabitch, you got the Maloich!!!!"..and show me the bubbles in the water!..Oh, man I loved that!

We have another member from Italy her named Modor. I thinks that's it. Welcome, and thanks for the help!!

Horns..()<<

Bill Z
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bill definetly has an Italian accent... he sounds very New York-ish.

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
            What do you do that you can travel like that? I'd be happy to just go to Nice!
            I dunno... it's an european thing... if you really want to travel there's nothing that's gonna stop you... it's a good way to get some new friends/contacts who can be helpful later in your life.... a couple of bums I grew up with have explored more world than Vasco Da Gama... now some of them are in pretty high places in big companies... and they started out just by hitchhiking to get away from shitty estonian weather.
            Inside Europe it's not a big deal... but going to US... that took planning, putting money aside etc. nothing what I'd to in Europe. Having an EU passport, you can live, work, fuck in any country you want within EU. And traveling doesn't take much money if you do it the right way. There's even places you can live for free. Many of my friends are in Spain... specially in Barcelona.... they live in abandoned schools and whatnot... some of them look like shit.... but it's free... and then you can get a job and start collecting money and look for a better place. Every small thing leads to something better. I guess you have to really live it.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

You are welcome, Bill!

I knew it had to be Campobasso: I am often in contact with American guys for my work, and they usually screw every place up, when they pronounce it! So I am kinda trained.
              But it's the same for us with American ones...

I definitely can feel the taste of your sauces...that's a typical tradition: it's clear you have italian blood in your veins!

It's funny because our dialects are totally different one another and people from the north cannot absolutely understand those of the south when they speak their own's: for example...ehm, vafanguuuuulo (sometimes you stretch the "u" to boost it) would be totally different said here in the north, but of course, swear words are universal!

I am enyoing so much this thread that I totally forgot what I wanted to ask about the JSX and the 5150III again!:ROTF:
              Nevermind, I will ask later.

Estonia must be a beautiful country too: Tallin is a wonderful town, I have seen many pics of it and I wanna go there once to visit it.

Bye
              Rock on!

PS - Bill, say a BIG "Ciao" to your relatives and friends coming over

Comment

FWIW, I have the JSX 212 combo. It has great tone on all three channels and sounds killer at "bedroom" volume.
                The Guitars:
                Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
                The Amps:
                Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

OK.
                  I remember now what I wanted to ask.
                  Many people complain that the JSX is a great amp, but with a “honky wah” edge to it, and would need to be re-biased with other tubes or EQ’ed with an external unit.
                  Kmanick is known as the “JSX Guru” so I do believe his words.
                  Others say that it’s already great as it is, factory-stock.
                  I know that I will have to try it and decide for myself, but maybe I am tone-deaf, since I’ve seen the vid on Youtube of that guy with that “honky wah” sound and honestly, I liked it. I saw it long before I knew about that discussion and saw it back again trying to catch that sound but could not!
                  So I am pretty confused…

Horns666 said it’s great amp, no matter how you try to make it sound bad: “amico”, you always say you are a metal guy and go for the ultra lead channel: was it the same when you dialled in your EVH segnature licks or did you use the crunch?
                  As I said, I will run the head through a Marshall 1922 cab with G75 and I recently fitted my Ibanez with airzone at the bridge, which many people say it is very close o EVH’s pups, so maybe this will help me focus the tone a bit more.
                  Last, being in Italy, I have seen that Engl amps (Powerball I think) would cost as the JSX more or less. Don’t know if around here they sell them.
                  Is it a one-trick pony for metal or is it as versatile as the JSX (rock, hard rock, classic and so on)?
                  What would you suggest?

Sorry for the looong post but I am no expert and need help.

Thanks
                  Ciao

Comment

I think the Powerball is a much more one dimensional type of amp than the JSX is.
                    I wouldn't call myself a JSX guru by any means, I think I just took the time and hung on to mine long enough to figure it out.

running the JSX with EL34's will add more upper mids to your tone if that's what you like.
                    the 10 band EQ in the loop is an absolute must for these amps to sound as good as they can.
                    KT-77's also seem to be a really good fit for the power section.
                    The Crunch channel on the JSX will get you a real good early Van halen sound
                    (it sounds muych more "marshally" than the Ultra channel ( now this is my amp I'm talking about).
                    the Ultra channel sounds more "Arch Enemy-ish" if you crank the gain.
                    I run a clean boost in front of mine so I keep the gain on the crunch channel at around 6 and at around 4 on the Ultra. I found that by running the amp this way it's no where near as compressed sounding as it is when you just dime the gain on the amp itself.
                    By turning the gain up to about 6 with the boost I can get a passable 5150-ish tone out of it.
                    The EQ is active as well so starting at 5 on all EQ levels is the way to go , I run mine at a 6/6/5 level with the treble/mids/bass the pres at 6 and the low res at 5 with the
                    fat switch off and boost the lower mids and cut the lowest lowes and highest highs
                    on the 10 Band EQ . Kind of like a subtle frown, but with the uper mid sliders down just a hair.
                    IT really thickens up the sound of the amp and gives you a lot of tonal possibilities that you just can't get out of this amp without an EQ in the loop.
                    I've had mine now for almost 2 years and I still love it.
                    It does what it does really well.
                    People either like the tone out of it or they don't.
                    Stock they are "OK" but with the right tubes and an EQ in the loop they kick ass.
                    I actually use mine a lot more these days for more classic metal tones (80's stuff) or for when I'm playing instrumental fusion (Greg Howe, Vinnie Moore, Satch etc) because I've got a real sweet lead tone dialed into the Ultra channel and it works really well for tht type of music.
                    the crunch channel nails the dokken, XYZ, VH, Ratt tones really well.
                    I find myself using my Rectoverb for the more modern metal alot more than the JSX but it still works for that too.
                    this is one of the best sounding low volume amps on the market (for sure)
                    It also records really easily at low volumes.
                    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Thanks Kmanick.
                      Maybe Saturday I have the chance to drop by the local store and try it out.
                      What would you suggest as a general rule to test it in a proper way?
                      there are some useful tips I learned here on the net, like:
                      - turn the knob at the middle, fat off and then tweak it from here
                      - Master volume and channel volume high and return low (?)
                      - the effect loop on to boost it (?)
                      - correct impedence to match the cab
                      - any other suggestion?

another one: I have an old digital korg A3, which sucks the life out of my JMP1...I imagine it would do same with any head.
                      Would you suggest to dump it and get something different?

thanks again!

Comment

master volume up at 4 or greater, use channel volume to actually control the volume. Make sure the loop is engaged and both send and return are up. The amp sounds much "bigger" with the loop on for some reason.
                        start with all dials at 5 and go from there, but remember that they are active EQ so iis you cut the treble
                        you will notice the amp is a lot quieter. they all work together.
                        If you can get the sales guy to let you throw an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop and play around
                        with it, you be amazed how great you can get this amp to sound with that additional EQ in the loop.
                        the JSX loop is one of the best I've ever seen on an amp. It seems to take to everything really well.
                        Last edited by kmanick; 09-30-2008, 10:28 PM.

Comment

alza il volume a 10

Comment

Agree on the loop. I think it uses atleast one half of a 12ax7 for the gain (v3) so thats where the extra tone comes from. It also loves just about anything in there, from these old delay/verb/tapedelay boxes, to boss pedals, to rack fx.

Comment

I run a Boss ME50 and an MXr 10 band EQ in the loop of mine.
                              My ME-50 sounds 10 times better in this loop than any other amp I've tried it in.

Comment

"Maleocchio"

The Madonna and some olive oil eh?

God that brings back memories as a kid....

Povra Nonna eh!

We must not forget Padre Pio as well no?

Comment

Working...
                                X