Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Randall or Egnater modular heads, help a brotha out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
    Pete, how does the Randall RM100 rate compared to the JSX with 6L6 ? Did you try the JVM..I like I like both amps. I'd love to know your opinion on them. You know the kinda tone I like!

Visit more often ..stranger!!
    Yo Bill!

Thing about the Randalls is that since the preamps are swappable, you can configure the head with the three channels you want - and if you get tired of one, swap another one in there. The fx loop is better on the JSX, but if you use line level stuff then the Randall loop is ok. One other thing that is cool is that the Randall uses midi to channel switch, so you can set it up with your midi effects and have everything switch through one footswitch, very cool. Plus the randall will take KT88, EL34, KT77, KT66, 6L6 or 6V6 or even 6550 tubes!

Pete

Comment

Hey Pete, (twisteramps) I saw the individual tube bias points on the back. Does that mean you can mix and match tubes too? Like run two el34's and two Kt88's?

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V View Post
        Hey Pete, (twisteramps) I saw the individual tube bias points on the back. Does that mean you can mix and match tubes too? Like run two el34's and two Kt88's?
        yep, or two unmatched tubes and bias them each correctly for each pair.

Comment

That is awesome. What a great idea.

Comment

Here you go Pete. This is the thread that I was reffering to.

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=4944&highlight=transformer

RD/MAN wrote:Ok everyone, since I've developed the Randall MTS line from the beginning with Bruce I want to fill everyone in on the differences between the Randall and Egnater models. With the amplifiers themselves, pretty everything is identical other than we use a CMEC transformer and Bruce uses a Heyboer. The specs used to build both transformers are identical and you will notice the size and weight are the same as well. We can honestly use the Heyboer or any other transformer we want, but we did not and do not notice any tone or performance difference at low or high volumes between the 2 transformers.

The tonal differences lie in the different capacitor values that we use to voice our modules specifically for the high gain player. These small capacitor value differences is what everyone hears and feels. That is why the Randall sounds tighter and more aggressive and the Egnater sounds a bit thicker but also a bit looser. Honestly everyone, Bruce uses the same Electronics supplier that we use. Where do you think the new Egnater Tourmaster came and comes from. That's right, the same factory that produces and stuffs many of our PCB boards. We all buy from and use the same part suppliers, Mouser, Digikey, etc... to stuff our circuit boards.

I just wanted to clear this up. Everyone seems to think that softer deeper low end means better build quality and better components. It's real simple, we voice our modules to our player and Bruce voices his modules to his player. I assure you that both are being made using the same high component quality.

I hope everyone finds a tone they like whether it's a Egnater or a Randall module, because we have the whole gammit covered

Comment

Working...
            X