No announcement yet.

Marshall or 5150?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you can, I say mix the V30s and the G12T75s in an X pattern. They sound great mixed together.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Any stock 5150 will do. Regarding cabinets.. I would go with Marshall 1960B's loaded with T75 Celestions. My second choice for cabs would be stock 5150 cabs loaded with stock Sheffields.
      V30's are too sizzly for a 5150. If you insist on using them.. do an X pattern mixing T75's and V30's. Thats a great all around set up.
      Regarding effects.. use traditional stomp boxes in the loop. The 5150 loves stomp box signals. For solo boost.. use a Morley Lil Alligator in the loop. The only effect you want to put out in front is a wah. I suggest a Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour wah.

Comment

I'd get a JSX before a 5150. I haven't spent any time with the JVM though to compare.

Comment

I've never heard a JSX that sounded good live.

Comment

Did you know the guys playing them John?

I'm just surprised - maybe they had it set up poorly?

Comment

Vin30 + 5150 = sizzle

G12T75s + 5150 = flubby

Shefield 1200 + 5150 = focused.

They were designed together for a reason.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                Did you know the guys playing them John?

I'm just surprised - maybe they had it set up poorly?
                Yea, I knew the guys. Great players.. uninspiring tone. The JSX sounds fake live to me. It has an SS quality to it.

Comment

Hey guys..I found an old 5150 VS JSX thread..may be of interest..http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70845

Also with a quick "JSX demo" on youtube..the first link revealed this..not too shabby sounding. nevermind the player..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Np9...eature=related

I know there is alot of metal guys like Mike Amott of Arch Enemy that were using 5150's since the days of Carcass..they both switched to XXX then to the JSX..which is Joe's version of a tweaked XXX..

Ironically, I can't make a JSX sound "bad"..on purpose. That's VERY easy to do with a 5150..its true.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

That vid makes me want a 7string so bad, and the dude sucks! The jsx has everything you need in it, if you cant get a good sound with it you suck. I've had it genuinely rockabillying its balls off with a fender heartfield!! (roland 501 in the loop helped ) I've had an aussie made 335 style guitar screaming its balls off through it, with a beautiful crunchy blues sound, and of course made it chug like an alco.

The jvm sounds great too, and the 5150 is classic. Except I don't like it. I can't get a great rythm AND lead with the 5150, either one or the other. JVM/JSX on the other hand sings. You really just have to check them out yourself unfortunately, noone else will sound like you!

Comment

I agree Bibz...I like the JVM or JSX..we're into the same kinda tone. We like the same bands with that fuggin' tone. Either amp will get it. That player appeared to have ADD!!! He's on youtube and can't think of anything to play..but the amp sounds good...there's more samples..a shitload..search 'em!!

Yep..it doesn't matter until you try the fuckers...no matter what we say!

Comment

the only vin 30 that i like is the mesa branded ones. they tweak the speaker to have more highs and lows. stock vin 30's have a very cardboard sound. almost like they chopped the highs and lows and have nothing but mids. i like mids and all but you do need highs and lows.
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Yep, I'm with D-Rebel on that one...I couldn't agree more..too many mids sound like ass if you're required to push your amp harder than desired !

But that's us..

Comment

I'm a fan of the Eminence Texas Heats in my 2x12. Made in USA! Also cheaper than Celestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                              the only vin 30 that i like is the mesa branded ones. they tweak the speaker to have more highs and lows. stock vin 30's have a very cardboard sound. almost like they chopped the highs and lows and have nothing but mids. i like mids and all but you do need highs and lows.
                              +2

The only time I've liked the V30 is in an open backed combo. I find the mids to be ugly in closed cabs.

Comment

I have said it before... There is a reason why you see the 1960 cab in many backlines.... They might not be the best built cab but they sound good with a ton of different rigs... I like the GT75's the best but I know many that hate them so... To me they are the most versitile of the bunch and will sound good with lots of different setups...

I also have a boogie cab (old rectifier or what they call the traditional maybe now or standard... i can't remember. ANyway it is loaded with Emminence in an x pattern. 2 patriots and 2 manowars and they sound pretty good mixed with another cab like the Marshall and on it's own. The Emminence speakers put in the marshall compared to me like running an x pattern of 75's and Vintage 30's only a bit tighter. I liked it better than just the v30's I have played through...

In the end I kept the 75's in the Marshall and moved the x pattern of the Emminence speakers in the Boogie...

Again. Marshall cab wins simply because it sounds good with many different amps...
                                Last edited by Firebird V; 09-27-2008, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X