Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a crap tone leave you "uninspired" to play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aaronharmon View Post
    I've said it in other threads. I will say it again. The Randall RM100 is the answer to all your prayers.

IMO it is the best head ever made. You can get any sound that you want out of it and it's all tubes.
    I bet its an great amp..I've heard credible guys that love 'em and heard Gus G use one myself. But I think the Uberschall is the best amp head out there..or in the top two/three..maybe. Rudy owns the Randall RM100 and the Uberschall..his fave is the Uber..I can see that after owning mine since 2002!

I go for the best modern metal tone I can and the Uber delivers that in spades! But it'll cost ya..
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by UFORocks View Post
      Totally, tone means a lot. I've been in the endless search for the "right tone" for years now.
      It is the endless search in life is it not? I'm not telling or anyone else nothin new, cause we have all been there and will more than likely continue the elusive search for tone before our life ends.
      Currently, I'm using an Engl 620 tube preamp and a Marshall 9200 5881, and I've had this setup for almost 1-1/2 yrs. now, and I gotta say for the first time in my life, I am truly happy with my sounds.
      Sure there are times when I tweak the EQ or what have you, but I've never once thought of selling and buying something else.

Now, on the otherhand, it is set up for straight metal (Priest,Maiden,Dio,etc..) so I'd like to build another rack that's more versatile to explore other sounds, but the 620/9200 will remain as my go to setup.

So, yeah inspiration is a direct byproduct of tone that's a given.
      'Howling in shadows
      Living in a lunar spell
      He finds his heaven
      Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

MC79..that sounds like a nice rig. I stilll Love my Marshall rack I bought new in '96...9200(5881s) JMP-1/JFX-1/BBE422..It kills!!!

When I'm not havin' a good day with the Ubet I turn to the Marshall and it always delivered! It is consistant!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

actually, i have been using the same basic amps since 90-91. luckily, i found "my" tone then with the rivera. i have had an awesome array of "killer" amps that have seen their way out the door becuase they haven't satisified me like the rivera. that list includes, but isn't limited to:

soldano SLO (1991 snakeskin), marshall jcm800 2204 (81 vert input), mesa MKIV short head with matching cab, rivera KHR100, hughes and kettner triamp, carvin V3.....NONE of them gave me 100% of what i wanted.

the only amp left i REALLY want to try is the engl SE....
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Mark..you didn't like the Carvin V3..the clips sounded pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
              MC79..that sounds like a nice rig. I stilll Love my Marshall rack I bought new in '96...9200(5881s) JMP-1/JFX-1/BBE422..It kills!!!

When I'm not havin' a good day with the Ubet I turn to the Marshall and it always delivered! It is consistant!!
              Same to you man! I'd love to have a 'complete' Marshall rack like yours, cause as you attest, they were meant to go together as one. I agree, and one day I will find the missing links, and hook them up and experience what you have been preachin about! Rock on Bro!
              It's nice to know that there's another 9200 guy out there!
              PS, I'm using a 1960B what are you using?
              'Howling in shadows
              Living in a lunar spell
              He finds his heaven

Comment

Yes a crappy or less than perfect tone changes my inspiration to play. Due to my currnet living situation im stuck using my Rockman XP100 combo cus it as a headphone jack. even thought it sounds more natural thru headphones. than it does throught its stock Pyle driver sperakers. I miss being able to use my Crate VFX5212. Its an awesome amp. TheRockman does sound pretty good. But because its on my workbench and i cant set my pedals up to it etc. I get a less than desireable tone most of the time. Somethimes it's just amtter of switching the guitar im playing. But for the most part it just lacks the depth and tone of my Crate. The Xp100 did sound great in stereo with a rack tho. If i remember right the rack consisted of a Quardraverb, a stereo 32 band graphic eq, and sonic maximizer. Oh well sooner or later i'll get my tone back.
                Gil

Comment

What exactly is a Rockman XP100? I've heard of it before, but I'm not sure what it is.
                  'Howling in shadows
                  Living in a lunar spell
                  He finds his heaven

Comment

bill, the carvin V3 seemed to be awesome, but i went through 3 of them before i gave up. i ordered one as soon as they came out and i guess carvin hadn't worked out the bugs yet. they kept blowing up and smelling like cabage. all 3 burned out the power tubes within 30 minutes. carvin was SUPER cool about it, but eventually i just asked for a refund.
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I used to use a Boss GX700. Had everything perfect for 6 years+. Then I sold all my gear. Currently have a GT-8. Can't get my old sound back. Never kept my GX700 settings, so my replacement GX700 seems pointless. Not used it in years. I just don't wanna record anything because both units sound like shit.
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Don't confuse bad tone with boring tone.
                        www.myspace.com/demonboundmusic

Originally posted by Endrik
                        the more you masturbate the less you need to bang the hottest chicks

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                          I bet its an great amp..I've heard credible guys that love 'em and heard Gus G use one myself. But I think the Uberschall is the best amp head out there..or in the top two/three..maybe. Rudy owns the Randall RM100 and the Uberschall..his fave is the Uber..I can see that after owning mine since 2002!

I go for the best modern metal tone I can and the Uber delivers that in spades! But it'll cost ya..
                          Thats the great thing about the RM100. You want a tone, you can get it. If Randall don't make it, someones already figured it out and modded a module to give you the sound. It is every tweakers fantasy. I have 5 modules and every one of them sounds completely different.

Rudy may like the Uber, but I can bet there are a few modules he hasn't tried especially when you add the moddified modules into the equation.

Comment

If the tone isn't there how can you play? It's like eating cereal with chopsticks or something...you can do it, but the frustration will suck all the enjoyment out of it.
                            Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Working...
                            X