I picked up a Marshall JCM800 2205 head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
    The 2205 is the 50 wt version of the 2210...which have clipping diodes and whatever. I think they sound good. BTW doesn't Rectos have..well,..rectos in them...but they sound good.

I do agree with John G..many people take the easy way out IMO. Throwing a stomp in front of expensive "high gain" all tube amp. No way I'll every do that with a Uber, 5150 Rceto and ect.. Its feasible with a non master Marshall or even an ealier 800 like an 2203. Many say stomps can "tighten up" those high gain amps. Those amps are already tight..just take the extra time and dial 'em that way, or "tighten up" your playing.
    I think most modern high-gain amps have some SS preamp distortion going on. That doesn't bother me one bit.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
      I think most modern high-gain amps have some SS preamp distortion going on. That doesn't bother me one bit.

Me either..as long as it sounds good. No matter what amp I decide on..I want it all amp. With the choices out these days..there's no excuse to require a fuzz box. The only thing that goes in the front of any amp I've owned is a cord. I never liked being cordless. With amps ..less is more IMO!!

Unless I'm using my 523Q but that's even a rare moment.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

my bad. I was thinking 2203! Anyway, if you can't get good sound at low volume with a 2205 you should try changing the preamp tubes or do what I do... put a YJM308 out in front of it. It works great.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
          Could be..the tubes are prolly OK..they usually squal..micrphonic when they go bad.

You know I was kinda blown away today. I went to GC and there was a B-52 half stack for $699. I thought it was new but it was used. So, WTF I tried it ..I was suprised that fucker actually sounded that good. I went right to the mean channel and it was thick and tight with plenty 'nuff gain. It was the price that made me check it out. For a half stack that you could find for $600 bucks..I gotta say its a great bang for the buck. They been around for several years..and this one worked just fine. I didn't get it up too loud but I don't assume that wouldn't be a prob.

It could be my kid's first halfstack...we'll see. He wants a PS3..but I'd rather get something like this for him..because he sure the fuck can't barrow my Uber!!!

Sorry to get off topic..but I really was taken back..it certainly didn't sound like crap!
          I tried one out at a GC myself and was very impressed! Of all newer amps made in China these days, the B-52 is probally the best one I've heard. Definatly great bang for the buck!

Comment

I use Hot plate set to -8db(never go higher than that,cos shites the tone)
            to tame my 2210 a bit.Also OCD set as a cleanish bost works great.Much better than TS pedals.
            That works great for me when I play at home.
            I love that amp-if only fx loop wasnt such a tone sucker

Comment

Totally agree with Bill on the B-52 AT-100. They had serious QC problems early on, but that's been sorted out for 5 years now. Great bang for the buck.

Also, all of the Rectos except for the single have tube rectifiers. The single uses a solid-state rectifier. The Road King lets you switch between the two, and aside from the sound being a bit looser with the tube recto, it didn't affect the preamp sound at all.
              Scott

Comment

Working...
              X