No announcement yet.

High End, High Gain amp suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow..The Amotts have Randall now..woah. I need to try that one. You didn't think the JVM had enough gain..maybe it cleans up when really loud. I'm kind of a gain hog and I got by fine with it hmmmm..my Uber's gain is glued to 10!

I like my old Marhshall rack way better than the JCM800KK..and prolly prefer the 2210. I thought it was pretty thin sounding..the JVM has more girth. But that Uber has 10 times the girth of anything I've tried so far IMO.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

EVH 5150 lll...I'm not kidding. Yes, I've had many problems with it (them), but the clean is super clean and the red channel is super high gain with no need for an overdrive to push it (though the blue channel sounds great with an SD1/808/TS9).

I should really get rid of it and get something more reliable, but if I wanted reliability, I'd get a transistor amp. I'm hooked on the sound, it's a more versatile and brutal version of the Peavey 5150's. When my EVH is in for repair (a regular thing), I borrow a 5150 and the difference is stark. The Peavey sounds brittle/harsh in comparison. So I'll put up with all the shitty issues the EVH regularly throws at me, the tone is too addictive...

Comment

You guys are going to have to add the VHT "SigX" amp to this list of
        high gain amps.. IMO a "Pitbull" on steroids, with much more flexability.
        Can be had in mint condition used for $1700.00 IMO it's twice the
        EVH III in tone and versatility.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
          You guys are going to have to add the VHT "SigX" amp to this list of
          high gain amps.. IMO a "Pitbull" on steroids, with much more flexability.
          Can be had in mint condition used for $1700.00 IMO it's twice the
          EVH III in tone and versatility.
          The clean channel doesn't have independent gain and master volume control, so to get a truly clean sound you need to cut the input volume for anything loud. That may be a deal breaker for some, though not for me.

Comment

I've heard nothing but bad things about the 5150 III so I'm definitely staying away from those. I guess there must be a design problem with them or something? Why is everyone's always in for repair?

Comment

Originally posted by dannyr View Post
              Soldano SLO 100!
              +2, if you are into the 5150 sound like JG mentioned.

If you're into super balls low grind and crunch, a Uber is the way to go. I like the SLO-100 with the Depth option. I can get into Uber territory somewhat and go back to crunch, then all the way to clean.
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

i recently aqcuired a diablo. cool amp. i like it and it has enough gain for me but if you are doing nu metal the gain is not "that" type of gain.

it does 80's metal great and can do many other types of music/tones too. lots of fine adjustments.

Comment

NAte

I'm tellin you bro the Uberschall is where it's at.

now in regards to the issues with the Engl

I had a powerball for 2 years and it died twice, had it fixed and it was never the same, another good friend of mine bought one from a Dean forum member and it died as well. So he sold it and got a V2 and has been happy with it ever since. I just didn't want to spend a bunch of money getting the amp repaired all the time since it's more costly to fix a trace side up type amp since you have to dismantle it, My uber *knock on wood* has been no trouble since I got it!

Cheers!

C

Comment

Bogner Baby!!!
                    Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Diezel Herbert

PS: I've owned 4 different Bogner Uberschalls, and far and away prefer the Herbert.

Comment

I say DIEZEL Herbert too.

The best distortion I've ever heard. Tons of sweet gain.

Channel three offers high gain. The distortion is percussive and brutal.

Channel two is a dual purpose channel. The (-) mode has dynamics to range from a vintage type clean sound to a broad crunch. The (+) mode offers similar voice, but much more gain. Both modes provide ample pick sensitivity.

Channel one produces a warm and sparkly clean sound, reminiscent of a piano,. It has immense overhead, whenever a very loud, but crystal clear clean tone is desired.
                        DARK METAL

Comment

I think the Soldano and Diezel are too far out of my price range . And if I were to actually buy a Diezel it would be the VH4!

Comment

NAte

I should have the Rivera K-Tre on the way to me in a couple days so I'll give you the low down as soon as it gets here.

I personally think you should just chill out as there is really no real reason you need a boutique amp right now man, Your 5150 is perfect for what your doing right now! just save your money man!

oh plus Keep gettin better at guitar because heving better gear isnt going to make you a better player, but when you are a better player, and your getting there! you'll enjoy the gear even more!

CS

Comment

Originally posted by SpiralArchitect View Post
                              oh plus Keep gettin better at guitar because heving better gear isnt going to make you a better player, but when you are a better player, and your getting there! you'll enjoy the gear even more!
                              Word on this. I think just running a v-amp pro for so long made me a heap better and getting my own tone down! After 15 years of playing I thought I should get a real man's amp I hit a JSX and found my sound finally (xxx/5150/dual rec/stilleto/blackmore, none felt 'me'). Getting compliments from your v-amp tone says way more then nice mesa imo

Comment

My Gawd, I know that a freaking 50 Watt Marshall is a loud MoFo, you guys are trying to pummel somebody

Comment

Working...
                                X