No announcement yet.

5 Amps in 5 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

danastas - try a Fargen Olde 800. It's a like a hot rodded JCM 800. 50 watts. Sounds fucking great. Of all of the amp heads I went through in the last 6-7 months, that is the only one still here (well, technically the Duende is still here but it's for sale so I'm not counting it).

The best hot rodded Marshall sound I've ever gotten is from a Splawn modded Marshall 1987x. It was the tone of the gods. There simply was no way to turn the knobs that didn't sound good. It was thick and creamy at conversation volumes with a Tele. I was so bummed that I sold it to buy a Quickrod - it just wasn't the same. That modded Marshall was fucking magic.

As for that Egnater Tourmaster - I've played a number of them - I thought they were incredibly mediocre. I'd take so many amps ahead of them at that price point.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by danastas View Post
      What am I looking for?

Something that can do SLO100 without the earsplitting volume.
      This is how I did it. Works great in my bedroom sized studio.

Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

What about James Peters? I've heard great things about his amps.
        http://www.petersamplification.com/
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have heard about Peters. Others suggested Metropoulos as well.

I live in Buffalo, and there aren't any indie dealers here.

Toronto is 1 1/2 hours away, and I'm sure I could test a Peters there.

Thanks Tim for the Fargen suggestion. I know that people run hot and cold on his amps. I'll have to check out the Olde 800.

The problem of course with these small dealers is it's difficult to find the precise amp you need, and it makes me wonder if clicking EBAY several times a week is worth it for the once in 6 months that one of the amps is sold. The Reinhardt's for instance sell used fr only $1400 and new for $1800. Makes you wonder if buying used is even worth it if you have to put that much effort in to save $400.

Comment

The Mako Custom Hundred is the best that I've heard in quite some time. It does the hot-rodded Marshall thing very well at low or high volumes.

Comment

I am keeping track. Splawn and Mako are on my list.

I ended up ordering a Reinhardt Titan today, and I'm hoping that will solve this once and for all.

By the way, I went on the splurge because I've been looking for an amp like this for 5 years now. I've tried amps personally in Toronto and at lark St in New York. So, most of the problem is that I'm in Buffalo with little opportunity to try things out.

The Reinhardt won't be ready for 2 months.

Comment

So, I noticed today the Microsoft/Ebay promotion is back up to 25%.

Ended up with a Splawn QuickRod
                http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150268201290

and a Bogner Shiva
                http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120280967555

So, the title to the thread has to change now...

Comment

7...Good Lord! Good learning experience. Ever thought of building one from a kit? That's one thing I am trying now. Takes a little soldering but i am hoping to be able to tweak it to my dream tone. I got the trinity amps 18 watt marshall TMB with merc mags, just need time to finish. Probably won't be 'til winter at the rate things are going.
                  www.JerryRobison.com
                  '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Originally posted by Partial @ Marshall View Post
                    7...Good Lord! Good learning experience. Ever thought of building one from a kit? That's one thing I am trying now. Takes a little soldering but i am hoping to be able to tweak it to my dream tone. I got the trinity amps 18 watt marshall TMB with merc mags, just need time to finish. Probably won't be 'til winter at the rate things are going.
                    I'd love to hear how it turns out. I'm no expert soldering so I will not be building my own. I went from putting speakers on the soldering my pickups in to trying my hand at the caps and pots, and that's where it ended. Just putting new electronics in my guitar was enough.

Comment

Diamond Amplification is another one. There are so many good ones now.

Check out some forums of guys who own some of these things -

HugeRacksInc.com is a good one.

Also, the new VHT SigX is suppose to be killer.
                      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Working...
                      X