No announcement yet.

Tell me about the JCM800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice topic for a thread. But, what the heck is a vertical input?
    Sam

Comment

The first ones got the input jacks vertically on the front panel.The later ones had horizontal inputs.
      Here you can see the difference, horizontal on the left and vertical on the right:

Flo
      http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

oh! I could never have guessed that. Thanks man!
        Sam

Comment

Man... I remember seeing a horizontal input JCM800 head a few years ago at a Music Go Round for $499... FARCK!!! I wish I would have bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by Infernal Death View Post
            The first ones got the input jacks vertically on the front panel.The later ones had horizontal inputs.
            Here you can see the difference, horizontal on the left and vertical on the right:

Flo
            Wow....that's a heap o' amps! Great pic!
            Last edited by Da' Melta'; 06-29-2008, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
              I had a JCM900 50 watt Dual Reverb head, and it was...nice. Not great, but that was before I knew how to draw tone out of a good amp. In this case, a little boost to the front end would have done it.

The SL-X on the other hand, can get way outta hand quick, and I always found it to be a bit fizzy and harsh. I'm sure there's a mod that could smooth it out, but then you might as well use a 900 with a boost!
              I agree on the SL-X, I had one for a short amount of time and it just didn't have the tone of my JCM 800 or my JMP 2204 so I sold it.
              I did just buy an`82 JCM 800 2203, it definately has more low end than the 2204's awesome tone too, but damn it's loud!!

Comment

no matter wich one you get... if it's in a good condition the changes are you are gonna sound good with it... easy to dial in and works really well with pedals... that's the thing with Marshalls..... even the newer shitty ones can sound good if you use the right pedals
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

A friend of mine has a JCM2000 DSL100. I didn't like that at all. It sounded way too loose. I didn't try it with pedals, but I wasn't impressed. I guess he wasn't either, because he just recently bought an 800.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Sounds like maybe Marshall should just go back to simpler amp designs, and quit trying to one-up Mesa. Take a lesson - do what you do, and do it well. More isn't always better.

Comment

in case of marshall that is SURELY the case!! i am eyeing a jtm45 head right now. i know i will NEED pedals (which i normally don't use) but it sounds ABSOLUTELY amazing in every way. if that falls through, i am looking at acouple of other older marshalls....a jmp head and a 1959 reissue, both of which are totally amazing too....
                      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                        in case of marshall that is SURELY the case!! i am eyeing a jtm45 head right now. i know i will NEED pedals (which i normally don't use) but it sounds ABSOLUTELY amazing in every way. if that falls through, i am looking at acouple of other older marshalls....a jmp head and a 1959 reissue, both of which are totally amazing too....
                        yeah... I would take those... amazing amps.... I was never a big fan of JCM series because when I compare them too the older ones they have nothing against those.... I'd personally take 1959 and let someone good mod it a bit
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                          A friend of mine has a JCM2000 DSL100. I didn't like that at all. It sounded way too loose. I didn't try it with pedals, but I wasn't impressed. I guess he wasn't either, because he just recently bought an 800.
                          Agreed 100%..but if you gonna go with pedals and or mods go with What E suggested..but those will cost ya I think. But if you scored one, it would be a keeper. The early 2203 were cool too as well as the JMPs..all great Marshalls!

I liked the 2210 only because it had the right amount of gain for me without a pedal. I always went for classic VH/Savatage sound and that amp does it pretty well.

Yes less is definitely more in my book. I don't need all those fuggin' channels and bullshit anywhoo. All I need is ONE great channel..its all what ya do with it..
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                            Agreed 100%..but if you gonna go with pedals and or mods go with What E suggested..but those will cost ya I think. But if you scored one, it would be a keeper. The early 2203 were cool too as well as the JMPs..all great Marshalls!

I liked the 2210 only because it had the right amount of gain for me without a pedal. I always went for classic VH/Savatage sound and that amp does it pretty well.

Yes less is definitely more in my book. I don't need all those fuggin' channels and bullshit anywhoo. All I need is ONE great channel..its all what ya do with it..
                            I'm with you Bill. I don't need a clean channel, and I can use my EQ pedal for a solo boost. As you say, the simpler, the better.
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                              I've played a JCM2000 DSL50 for the past 10 years and have been pretty happy with the sound, it blew up earlier this year and I fancied a change so went for an Engl Screamer. Since then, several people have come up to me and said how much my sound has improved, yet I'm keeping it very simple: Les Paul / Flying V / Charvel into the Engl with just a Boss DD in the effects loop.

Most people I know regard the JCM800 as the pinnacle of Marshall, we were all playing them in the late 80s, why did we all get rid of them ??? Versatility I suppose, although mine was great it was a bit of a one-trick pony, no effects loop, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X