Clear All

• I have a jvm now! its the best!
    EVh Wolfgang/frankenstein pup
    1959Epiphone les paul
    george L cables
    mxr pedals
    Engl fireball 100

Comment

• Decided to post a quick reply. I happened to acquire a bugera 1990 on trade, recently, and I have to say, I'm diggin' it, so far. Stout build, minimal plastic, large transformers, and the sound is pretty decent. Yeah, it gave me the cutout issue that seems inherent to the Bugeras, since they decided to connect the PT to the board via plastic clips, but a little time with the soldering iron seems to have rectified that. AND, the "emulated out" is useless. Sounds just like the line out, but without as hot of a signal. Time will tell if I am still as happy with it as I am right now, but, so far, so good.

I'm not Ron!

Comment

• Hi everyone, I rarely post but, I lurk and read almost daily. The company I work for has become involved in offshore reverse engineering. I work in the R&D dept, so I now have an additional responsibility of evaluating "samples".

This whole situation makes me sick. What do you do? Bottom line is the more product my company sells, the greater the chance I will have a job tomorrow. I hope.

Now allow me to be the devils advocate. Morality has been mentioned here a few times. In the capitalist model the only moral responsibility a company has, is to turn a profit for its shareholders--that's it! Is it right?--no, but it is what it is, and it will continue to be that way.

Makes me sick. What do you do? BTW I own a bass amp by a well respected manufacturer--made in USA, no-- you guessed it Made in China.

I am not sure what my point is, other than I the nausea I feel.

---M

(sorry about spelling)

Comment

• Confusing at best...
          I would jump in and badmouth as I warned...you get what you pay for.
          But people seem to be happy with them, not claiming these amps
          are as sturdy as hardwired 40 year old construction.

They know what they're buying...why should I complain?
          As far as "Buy American"...build it and the buyers follow.

I have no trouble selling my own little handwired amps.
          (Don't get the illusion I'm making a dime doing it though).

Comment

• Not everybody can afford to buy American, unfortunately. And if you say, "Save up more", well price increases can keep the gold standard out of reach for a long time.

Any of us can die tomorrow - today for that matter. What a shame if you died on the day you were 3/4 of the way saved up for that high-priced amp, but you could have been playing something that still sounds good for what, 6 months, a year that you were instead saving up for what others think you should have.

I'm 52; I don't NEED an amp that's gonna last 40 years. I'm an optimist, but not THAT much! Although my Peavey is probably 21 years old and hanging tough.

Some of us are just poor and it would take forever to save for what others think we should have to have in order to be satisfied. Life is full of tradeoffs.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

• Yes, lerx. Agreed.
              My post was almost as discombobulated as the one prior.

I agree.
              I said I would give it a chance-to see what developed in time.
              People are not reporting them catching on fire, exploding, etc.
              So if they got 2 years of worthy performance, then they got their bang for the buck already.

Some of us flip that amount in 3 months on amps!

I do it in parts and labor (Burp).

Last edited by Cygnus X1; 03-17-2010, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• Well said lerx.
                JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

• Bottom line, play the snot out of what you can afford.

Comment

• +2 on Lerx's comments. I buy what I can afford, while still getting a reasonable bang for my buck. Being a musician makes me want all this nice gear, but being a father of three, and providing for THEM, is top priority. If some cork-sniffer doesn't like what I play, fuggem. It's ME that plays it, not them, and I hold loyalty to NO BRAND.
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

• The only problem with the argument about buying stuff no matter where it's made is that everyone makes that same argument about everything.

So almost all of the furniture and textile factories in North Carolina are shutdown. There is only one US company that I'm aware of that makes a DVD player. Legal citizens of the US cannot get a job doing waterproofing because companies are doing in-country outsourcing to illegal workers. Corporations big and small move their customer service centers to Bangalore India. Etc.

So what's the net result of that? My clothes wear out much quicker. My furniture doesn't last as long. I've gone through a couple piece of shit DVD players in the last several years. It took 3 times for the waterproofing company to fix our wall properly and we never could communicate with the fuckers that they sent to our house. It took MONTHS to get Dell to finally get a technician to come take a look at my broken Alienware laptop which then got sent to the Dell depot for repair but is now not fucking working again.

My mom still has the electric can opener she bought new in the mid-70's. We went through 3 or 4 of them before we gave up and reverted to manual can openers. And then the manual one broke. WTF?

My cousin still has her 25 year old coffee maker that is used daily. Our Keurig coffee maker has been replaced 4 times in the last year - fortunately they've covered it each time but what a hassle.

Sure. Fuck American jobs. Buy the cheapest shit you can. It's cheaper to keep buying the same junk over and over. It's cheaper to take time off work to wait for a bunch of illegal non-English speaking fucktards screw up your house. Yeah, that's a great plan.

You really don't save money doing this in the long run. The value of your dollars is dimishing. To compensate for people being unemployed and under employed your taxes will either go up or your services will degrade - actually it'll continue to be both. The Republicans and Democrats are doing everything they possibly can to ensure that either China or the top 1% wealthiest Americans get as much of your money as possible. So unless you are a CEO, outsourcing consultant, or a politician, you should be concerned about your job and the jobs of those around you.

So I don't care if your Bugera has more crunch and punch than the mighty Soldano SLO or sweeter breakup than a vintage Fender Tweed. In fact, I don't care if it's better than every other amp in existence. Your Bugera can suck my balls.

And a special note to my brother Rich - I wish you the best and want you to live a long life. In fact, I hope you live long enough to regret the purchase of every piece of Chinese made crap you have

:ROTF:
                      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

• "Now Sleep...That is Where I am a Viking"...

I think someone woke the viking up.
                        This old thread can only come around to where it has already been about 5 times over.

If I weren't building my own I'd be saving my pennies for vintage stuff anyways, maybe modding some to taste.

Either way I'm not saving any American jobs.

There is a major shitstorm over where builders have to source parts.
                        It's all about quality to me...to them (mostly).
                        (If we take the time to make our amps, then we want to put in the best quality we can buy at a reasonable price).
                        But no longer made in America for the most part.

Comment

• Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                          And a special note to my brother Rich - I wish you the best and want you to live a long life. In fact, I hope you live long enough to regret the purchase of every piece of Chinese made crap you have
                          That's ironic, Tim, because other than a Squire Affinity Strat that I have just because I wanted a white Strat, my amps are US-made Peaveys and a Carvin, processors made in the US, Japan and Korea, bought used. Got some nice Yamahas made in Taiwan, but that's the "good" China, right?

Dude, I am disabled and fighting the government since 2004. I have congestive heart failure, diabetes, severe hypertension, COPD, kidney disease, severe depression, stroke, spent a month in a mental hospital last fall after a suicide attempt. I worked hard for many years but when I became sick and unemployed, the government has done their best to shake me off like a dying rat. My only income is $200 a month in food stamps. If an old school friend hadn't taken me in I'd either be homeless, or still in the nuthouse just because they won't cut you loose without somewhere to go.

This ain't a sob story, just full disclosure in why I can understand many reasons why someone may not be able to do what you do and buy USA, and why they also don't deserve to be browbeaten by you for it.

So I laid out my story in brief so the others who might be in similar straits don't have to.

And I know you are a good dude, Tim. You helped me out after the storm along with many other JCF brothers and sisters, and I am grateful, always will be. But when you turn a rant into demonizing everybody who isn't as fortunate as you, to have a high-paying job where you can afford to make those choices, that's not cool.

You need to realize that, really, not everybody has a choice in the matter. I know you worked damn hard to get what you've got, but still, you are lucky to have it as well. Be grateful you have your steak and don't be so eager to tell us what are in these 88-cent hot dogs we have to eat.
                          Last edited by lerxstcat; 03-18-2010, 08:59 PM.
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by hippietim View Post

So I don't care if your Bugera has more crunch and punch than the mighty Soldano SLO or sweeter breakup than a vintage Fender Tweed. In fact, I don't care if it's better than every other amp in existence. Your Bugera can suck my balls.
                            Wow, I didn't see Tim chiming in! What a shock!

For the record, Tim, I don't give a flying fuck what you think, and YOU can suck MY balls. Only person that matters concerning this amp is ME, cause it's mine and I'm the one playing it, no one else. How ya like THEM apples?
                            I'm not Ron!

Comment

• Somewhere along the line, this thread took a turn for the stupid.
                              "We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer. "
                              Zakk Wylde

Comment

• wow Rich, that's fucking horrible, I hope you still have some will left... can't you get into some social program in North East perhaps? I wish I could do something but I don't know my way around across the Atlantic
                                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                                X