No announcement yet.

suggestions on a new head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dude, the Mark IV is absolutely brutal!! It's how you set it up. Lamb of God is a good example. I run mine stereo with a Mesa Satellite and 4 mesa recto cabs and it shakes the earth! Crushes all!! Man the key to the Mark series IMO are recto cabs loaded with V30's. The amp is not the same beast otherwise.
    CURRENT GEAR SET UP
    2005 JACKSON SOLOIST
    1989 JACKSON KING V
    1984 JACKSON RR
    AXE FX II
    MESA BOOGIE 2:90
    DMC GROUND CONTROL PRO
    FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER
    (2) MESA BOOGIE 4X12 RECTO CABINETS
    (2) MESA BOOGIE 2X12 RECTO CABINETS

Comment

get a GT-8 or GT-10 and a rectifier. or keep the roadster and tweak it with the GT with some of its eq and shit.

james hetfield used the rectifier with a chanler tube eq in the loop. you could use the GT in the loop as an eq and get all the nice opeth sounds with it too.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by KINGSFAN View Post
        Dude, the Mark IV is absolutely brutal!! It's how you set it up. Lamb of God is a good example. I run mine stereo with a Mesa Satellite and 4 mesa recto cabs and it shakes the earth! Crushes all!! Man the key to the Mark series IMO are recto cabs loaded with V30's. The amp is not the same beast otherwise.
        ya bro im not puttin it down i just always figured it for kinda classic rock thats all, but ill def try it out with v30's.

Originally posted by donvandam View Post
        My Peavey JSX Head has always served me well and a great clean channel, and 2 different gain channels, both intensely awesome.
        i spent about 30 mins with this baby as well as the XXX, and 6505+, and the jcm800 kk head, and the JSX crushes every amp ive played in the last while, i honestly think its at the top of the list for me, but i gotta try out that mk4 and EVH3 back to back 1st.

also thanks for everyones input so far.

Comment

The JSX is a cool amp, I love mine, but I also love my Rectoverb. The Roadster is probably the next amp I will buy. (I wnat one more channel)
          If you are seriously thinking about a JSX, let me give you a suggestion if you're looking to get a "Brutal" tone out of it.
          throw an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop, boost the lower mids cut the highest treble freqs a touch and the lowest bass freqs a touch, throw a tubescreamer in front of it (bear with me here), turn the gain on the Ultra channel down to about 4, dime the level on the Tube screamer and set the gain to zero. set the EQ controls on the JSX to 5,4,6 (treble,mids,bass)fat off, pres around 6 low res around 6, and you should be able to get a a very tight 5150-ish tone without the fizz. Also run the master at 5 and the channel at around 3-5.
          thru a Recto cab with one of your JB equipped guitars this should get you a really tight "Arch Enemy -ish" type of tone.
          I go back and forth between my Rectoverb and my JSX constantly, they're a good combination to have, (together in stereo they sound killer).
          the JSX can get a lot heavier than people think.
          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Originally posted by petez0r View Post
            honestly i never even thought of bogner, i didnt think of them as a metal amp. ill look around and see if we have them around here.
            The Uberschall is one of THE best metal amps made! Bogner has some really good clips on their website. go to www.bogneramplification.com to hear it. There aren't many Bogner dealers around and those who are, are usually out of stock on the Uberschall as it is a pretty good seller.
            Someone else mentioned the Randall MTS series amps and thats another good option. I have a Randall RM100 head and you get endless variations of amps to use just by swapping out preamp modules. Its also perhaps the most affordable head listed here so far. Check out the Randalls too. Good luck.
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Mesa Dual Rectifier with Marshall 1960a and 1960b cabs loaded with x-pattern V30's and C75's.
              Affordable and pretty much the industry standard for death/black and progressive metal.

Comment

Affordable option..JSX w/6L6s..even tho the EL34s sounded cool!

Ultimate option..Uberschall with 6 matching Tung Sol 12ax7s!!!

Both extremely easy to dial and consistant IMO!

I NEVER got along with Rectos since they were born. Others do good wth them. BUT everyone I know that liked them eventually got tired of them..so.

I insist my tone to be ALL amp..NO stomps!!!! My tone preference is somewhere between Arch Enemy-Nevermore...rooted in classic Van Halen-Savatage ..but on steroids.

BTW..Randy mentioned the Randall MTS. I saw Gus G play one in a sea of Engl Powerballs one night..he absolutely crushed them all! I haven't tried one tho.
                Last edited by horns666; 06-22-2008, 03:58 PM. Reason: TYPOS ..FUGGUMS
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                X