EVH lll cutting out...any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVH lll cutting out...any ideas?

Plays ok for an hour or so then the volume cuts out. Footswitch is still lit up, but the corresponding lights on front of the amp head are all off...no effects loop either, even though the loop light is still lit up on the footswitch...any ideas? Under warranty still, but tomorrow's Easter Sunday and I've got a gig...

Odd. If it was a loose tube, you would not be loosing your lights and what not. Fuse would die and stay dead. Sounds like a heat-triggered short in it somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by SEAN RAF View Post
      Plays ok for an hour or so then the volume cuts out. Footswitch is still lit up, but the corresponding lights on front of the amp head are all off...no effects loop either, even though the loop light is still lit up on the footswitch...any ideas? Under warranty still, but tomorrow's Easter Sunday and I've got a gig...
      *** Sean...one of "ours".. had a switch problem...would fade out also..
      Local authorized FMIC guy changed it out, and told us that it IS A HIGH
      Quality switch, so he was suprised it failed? Anyway...should be a quick
      easy fix, no longer than a week. This tech guy said that he was impressed by the component quality inside overall. Funny thing tho...
      ALL 3 of these EVH's have had quirk problems... but 2 of them were just
      Power tubes, and i know why those have failed! Bad batch of them
      last year. Hope it goes well, let us know. Heck i waited 10 weeks for
      good KT-88's to get to VHT... yours should be no problemo

Comment

Thanks for the info, I'll just have to hope that the shop will loan me a head for the gigs next weekend. It's just an odd sort of failure; volume goes, loop goes...press the channel switches on the head and volume comes back, but no loop...?

Comment

Fucking hell Sean, you seem to have the worst luck with amps, from getting them home and finding they are shit, to this kind of thing (which is the most annoying because you can't easily pin it down)!

Since it's under warranty, I'd demand a replacement fullstop (nicely, of course). I remember buying a shitload of C-Audio power amps once and the supposedly high quality switches and fuse holders in several of those were shit, and would cut out for no apparent reason. The components were changed by C-Audio, eventually, (they knew full well what the issue was from the very start, but of course didn't want to do a general recall) , but I never trusted those amps again, even though they NEVER misbehaved again.
          There would be quiet or silent parts of gigs I wasn't expecting, and I would sprint back from the crew rest area, to the amp rack shitting myself only for the noise to start up from the stage again. The sound of silence is scary somteimes. I just couldn't be 100% confident, and after spending loadsamoney, I want TOTAL satisfaction.

If I were in your shoes, I'd feel justified in asking for a replacement. The next time you get a problem, 2 years down the line, maybe you will wonder if it is related to your current woes. Then, out of warranty, you'll be REALLY fucked off.
          So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

I'll see what the shop says on Tuesday, still the best tone I've ever had, but only when the EVH feels like dishing it out. Five year warranty on these, looks like that'll be its best feature.

Comment

Working...
            X