No announcement yet.

Need some advice, buying my first stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recommend Laney amps hands down....they are great british made amps, and they aren't heavy on the pocketbook. I have a Laney LC30 combo that's 30watts, but sounds like 50 watts, plenty loud even at 2 or 3....and sounds awesome when ran through my 4x12 cabinet....sounds like a 50 watt half stack easy. A combo by itself, or with a speaker cab sounds like what you need for right now.
    Guitars: Burny Les Paul Custom, Epi Les Paul Custom, Charvel Model 1C, Alvarez Classical
    Amps: Laney Pro Tube Lead AOR 100 Watt, Laney LC-30II, Fender Frontman 25 watt
    Cab: Laney GS412P 4x12

Comment

Originally posted by Szostak View Post
      Alright so, head is important. got that.

what should i look for? seriously, i am retarded when it comes to amps. just need some suggestions for a head now, in about the 600$ price range i guess?
      My suggestion is to take the time and become knowledgeable about what you're about to purchase. When you learn enough about what characteristics make specific tones and sounds, you wont be asking us what amp to buy. Go try some shit, read about them, learn how they work. Why do I say this? Because nine times out of ten we'll suggest something, and the person will go out and buy it without knowing anything about the amp, get it home, and still not be able to set it up right and get a good sound.
      Last edited by Burn; 03-17-2008, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burn View Post
        My suggestion is to take the time and become knowledgeable about what you're about to purchase. When you learn enough about what characteristics make specific tones and sounds, you wont be asking us what amp to buy. Go try some shit, read about them, learn how they work. Why do I say this? Because nine times out of ten we'll suggest something, and the person will go out and buy it without knowing anything about the amp, get it home, and still not be able to set it up right and get a good sound.
        i know i said i was amp-retarded and i appreciate the advice but i'm not everything-retarded. i realize that what you guys are suggesting won't be exactly what i want which is why i just want suggestions. but thanks though.
        DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

Comment

I'd go out and try a 6L6 amp, an EL34 amp, and an EL84 amp. You'll have covered three widely different tones there and will have a better idea of what sound you're after. Also try a Class A amp and a Class AB amp. Then you'll have narrowed it down to what class and what tubes and you'll have a much smaller array of amps to look at.

What is your ideal tone? Super-scooped high-gain, in-your-face crunch, crystal clean, smooth overdrive, etc. ?

edit: what model do you like best on the Spider?
          Scott

Comment

If you like the Spider, consider selling it and buying the Spider Valve. I didn't like the Spider - I thought it was pretty cheezy, but I bought the SpiderValve, and am never at a loss for how much I like it. Easily a giggable setup.

I got the 2x12 combo. I had the head, but it was RIDICULOUS!! Way too much power. I bought the combo, plugged it into my 4x12 cab, compared, and ended up selling the cab too and using it just as the combo. I suppose I could seal the back of the amp if I wanted to, but no need for it right now. You could easily hook it up to a 2x12 cab - I'd love to hear it through a Genz Benz G-Flex.

FWIW, I don't use the high gain models very much. I'm using the "Crunch" models (Marshall 50 & 100 Plexi models) on mid gain. I'm using a Boss OD-20 in front of the amp. It's AWESOME!! It takes OD pedals VERY well in front of those models. I'll still mess around with the high gain patches I created as wwell, but I like the mid-gain patches with the pedal in front. Throw in a little delay, and you've got some killer sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
              If you like the Spider, consider selling it and buying the Spider Valve. I didn't like the Spider - I thought it was pretty cheezy, but I bought the SpiderValve, and am never at a loss for how much I like it. Easily a giggable setup.

I got the 2x12 combo. I had the head, but it was RIDICULOUS!! Way too much power. I bought the combo, plugged it into my 4x12 cab, compared, and ended up selling the cab too and using it just as the combo. I suppose I could seal the back of the amp if I wanted to, but no need for it right now. You could easily hook it up to a 2x12 cab - I'd love to hear it through a Genz Benz G-Flex.

FWIW, I don't use the high gain models very much. I'm using the "Crunch" models (Marshall 50 & 100 Plexi models) on mid gain. I'm using a Boss OD-20 in front of the amp. It's AWESOME!! It takes OD pedals VERY well in front of those models. I'll still mess around with the high gain patches I created as wwell, but I like the mid-gain patches with the pedal in front. Throw in a little delay, and you've got some killer sounds.
              +1.... i love the way the spidervalve sounds as well, i was very close to getting that combo as well. ended up going with the b-52 at212... i would have been happy with either one.
              Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
              Amp... Pioneer
              Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

Originally posted by dk2magic View Post
                +1.... i love the way the spidervalve sounds as well, i was very close to getting that combo as well. ended up going with the b-52 at212... i would have been happy with either one.
                B-52's AT & ST series of cabs are awesome buys. I had the AT-412B. It was one of the best cabs I ever owned, and if I were to buy another cab today, I'd choose it over the Mesa Recto cab I sold it to get.

Comment

lots of good advice here,..if i may chime in on it, i would agree with the guys who are telling you go and try lots of diff amps at the music store before you commit to one. and remember your gonna be paying a good amount of dough for what your getting so crank it up a little bit to see what it really sounds like. most tube amp sound better and better the more throttle you give'em.(to point of course)

Comment

I strongly belive that a half stack is the way to go!! You get the most versatility in that you can get different heads as your taste/pocket book allows. Yet at the same time you have the power to crank when you want too! And we all know we want to at times!! I know I do!! Although I would stay away from a full stack (two 4x12's) since the 2nd cab will cut your power in half and sound that much less full! Rather get a powered cabinet to go with your half, so you don't loose wattage and actually gain more watts!! The only down side is lugging it around! Which is something I always have help with!
                    I love admins!

Comment

Working...
                    X