HM2 - Weak In My Effects Loop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HM2 - Weak In My Effects Loop

Was testing out my various pedals through the effects loop on my Marshall AVT50 and the TS9, chorus and phaser all sound arguably better in the loop than going straight from the guitar into the front of the amp, but my Boss HM-2 sounds like crap and has about 10% of the level/distortion in the loop through the clean channel as opposed to it kicking tremendous ass when I have it going from the guitar straight into the front of the amp on the clean channel.

Is there any electronics based explanation for this or just flukey?
    Jackson KV2
    Jackson KE1T
    Jackson KE1F
    Jackson SL1

I don't know the theoretical explanation, but that's pretty normal. Distortion & overdrive effects should go in front of your amp, modulation & time-based effects sound better in the loop

edit. Eep. I just noticed you said your TS9 sounded better in the loop. I've never used one, but aren't they designed to goose the input on your amp? Y'know, push the front end a little?
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts.

Maybe I should give the TS9 more comparison with different settings etc., I probably don't have the ear some of you have to notice the subtleties.
      Jackson KV2
      Jackson KE1T
      Jackson KE1F
      Jackson SL1

Comment

Overdrives and distortions are made to be used in front of the amp, since they're gain-based effects. Time-based effects such as chorus, delay, phaser, flanger work better in a loop.
        I've heard of some people using a TS9 or other type of overdrive in a loop for a boost, but it's not really the norm.
        If you want the distorted sound of your HM2, run it in front of your amp and into its clean channel.
        If you like the sound of your amp while on its normally distorted channel, then use the TS9 in front of that to boost it and put it over the edge.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks, that's helpful to a hobby player like myself.

I grew up with the HM2 into the clean channel of my Peavy Special which I loved (level/distortion/L color mix turned all the way up and the H color mix turned all the way down). But the TS9 combined with my tiny Marshall's distorted channel sounds so much richer with really nice sustain.

Good to have those two different sounds though for different types of music.
          Jackson KV2
          Jackson KE1T
          Jackson KE1F
          Jackson SL1

Comment

Working...
          X