GT-8 Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT-8 Owners

I recently posted about purchasing a GSP1101, but now that I have learned using the four cable method will allow me to accomplish the same flexibility with the GT-8, I may go that route.

Honestly, how do you guys feel about the sounds? I recently sold my Pod that I used for direct recording as after almost eight years of regular use, I was beginning to burn out on the tones in it.

The GT-8 would primarily be used for pre and post effects with a Mesa F-50 (bypassing all of the amp and cabinet modeling). When recording direct, I would use the GT-8 in that capacity.

My fear with the GSP1101 is that it will sound too much like a toy. Perhaps that is just some unfounded bias I have against Digitech.

I'm in the middle of nowhere, so going in to try a GT-8/GT-8 Pro out is pretty much impossible.

If you want effects only I would suggest a G-Major with your F-50.
    BTW.. I use the GT-8 in a 4 cable method and it sounds fantastic. I just think that why pay for amp and cabinet modeling when you aren't going to use it.

Comment

I sure like mine... running the VHT 2/90/2 thru an ADA MP-1 and the
      GT-8. I think im George Lynch! (not skills...but maybe in tone!):ROTF:

Comment

One thing to consider is that even if you are using effects only, the GT8 lets you put effects BEFORE and after your amp's preamp... this means that the wah will be useable. You can actually choose overdrives and put them in front of your amp, etc... things that the G-major setup won't allow you to do.

Pete

Comment

I have been using a JMP-1 in the effects loop of the Gt-8. This allows you to put all the effects where they should be in the signal chain. The GT8 outputs go to my Marshall El34 50/50 power amp. I have been very happy with this set up. I know the GT-8 works 4 cable with serial effects loops and I think Mesa use a parallel loop. I would go to bossgtcentral.com and search on your amp model. With the 4 cable you can also use the gt preamps for Marshall or Tri amp tones if you want.

Mr Hiwatt
          Mesa JP-2c Mesa 2x12 V30
          RR1 Black
          RR1 Blue ghost flames
          Stealth EX
          Hamer Studio
          Boss pedals,TC, HBE

Comment

The F-50 is a parallel loop. I've tried a G-Major in it, and it works well, but I want the amp modelling option for direct recording. The strange thing is that the G-Major I tried belonged to a friend who tried using it with his Dual Rectifier. The G-Major didn't sound that good with the Rectifier. Although both have parallel loops, I wonder if there is something different about the F series loop. Fortunately, there is a fairly simple parallel to serial mod for Mesas.

Comment

Originally posted by Trypp Powell View Post
              The F-50 is a parallel loop. I've tried a G-Major in it, and it works well, but I want the amp modelling option for direct recording. The strange thing is that the G-Major I tried belonged to a friend who tried using it with his Dual Rectifier. The G-Major didn't sound that good with the Rectifier. Although both have parallel loops, I wonder if there is something different about the F series loop. Fortunately, there is a fairly simple parallel to serial mod for Mesas.
              IMHO.. after owning a ton of Mesa amps... they have finicky effects loops. Most of the Mesa's I have owned sounded the best with nothing in the loop. Anything inserted into it seemed to muddy up the sound a little. The most transparent effect I ever owned was the G-Major. I do agree with Pete though.. the GT-8 has many more features and options.
              I love mine. Next to my Vetta, its the best piece of gear I have ever owned.

Comment

GT8 + Marshall DSL50 owner here. Use it with the 4CM. Very happy with my sound!
                JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Working...
                X