Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting tired of my guitarport, any better options for headphone practice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting tired of my guitarport, any better options for headphone practice?

Well, i rehearsed with my band today for the first time in a while, and realised how much better a real amp (Jcm800) sounds compared to the stupid guitarport.
    It sounds so boring and lifeless, no matter how i tweak it, and it makes it a lot less fun to play than it should be.

Are there any better options out there (MUST be able to use headphones) for playing at home than the Line6 stuff, like Boss or Vox, or maybe even connecting a "real" preamp to headphones somehow?

Any ideas would be great!

My practice rig is the Vox DA5

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/daseries/

It can play very quietly, can run on batteries, and it also has a headphone out.

Comment

I use a Korg Toneworks PX4D for headphones use. Great # of effects, plus has a jack for your mp3 player to play along with.

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_...&category_id=6
      "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

there's NO digital stuff useful for practice
        Because I don't say it
        Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

Originally posted by Carbophos View Post
          wow

Comment

tada! I know you said "besides the line6 stuff" but I wanted to post about the Pocket-POD somewhere.

Sam

Comment

You're kidding, right?
              My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

So what's your solution?

Stick some tubes in his ears and hump an outlet?

Comment

At home I usually play into a Roland Micro Cube and listen with a good set of Sennheiser headphones plugged into the amp. The amp modeling and effects in that little box are pretty amazing, especially when using the line out into something bigger or into headphones. It will run off batteries and when using the speaker it can actually get pretty loud. Also, I borrowed a friend's V-Amp 2 a while back and used that for practice for a while into headphones, it sounds pretty good and has a lot more models and effects than the Micro Cube, but I think the Micro sounds a bit better overall.
                  My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

I have Korg PX4 - it sounds pretty good

Comment

Originally posted by rocksoldier View Post
                      Well, i rehearsed with my band today for the first time in a while, and realised how much better a real amp (Jcm800) sounds compared to the stupid guitarport.
                      That is mainly because you have 4x12" pounding your body with air pressure + nice, real life reflections coming from the room.

You can't compare that to 2x1" tiny speakers placed a few milimeters from your ears (headphones, no reflections). It's two different worlds.
                      Henrik
                      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I have used my old Johnson J-Station with headphones, and although it wasn't exactly inspiring, it got me by for home use. What kind of headphones are you using?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Thwap View Post
                          So what's your solution?

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! :ROTF: :ROTF:

Best reply by a newb EVAR!!!!!
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Thwap View Post
                            So what's your solution?

I know..this thread is old,old,old..but I was scrolling through all these forums and seen this ..ha,ha..now that is freakin funny..sorry I just had to comment on that one..but,again im scrolling way back..what the yr for on this one..2007?.ha,ha..i had to comment though....
                            Last edited by Bear R.-; 12-03-2013, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Bull tacos. I've got an Axe-FX that is amazing for practice, recording and live.

I smell a unintentional troll.

Comment

Working...
                              X