What's the difference b/n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the difference b/n

car speakers and guitar speakers? I saw a 2x12 Jensen speaker cab for car audio $99 at fry's. I could be wrong about the make and price but nevertheless, a 12" sub-woofer speaker was only $50 and two of them in a cab was still cheaper than a regular 2x12. That got me thinking...has anyone tried to play out of a car speaker? Or tried to construct a cab out of em'? The only issue I see is that the impedance could be a mis-match.
    Sam

Some subwoofer boxes for cars have crossovers in them, which will prevent them from playing the high, and even mid-range frequencies. Even if the one you found doesn't have one, they are really designed to play bass only, so it may not sound as good on the higher frequencies. As for the impedance, car speakers generally have similar impedances to guitar speakers, YMMV.

I've never tried this myself, so I can't tell you what it would sound like. Let us know how it turns out if you try it
    "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

I just looked at the specs for some models called BP210/BP212 on the Jensen website. This thing has 2 4 ohm speakers wired in parallel for a total of 2 Ohms. Most guitar amps are not going to be capable of driving this. It doesn't mention the numbers for frequency response, but it clearly states that it reproduces bass only, indicating some kind of a crossover. If it was one of these models, or something similar, I would stay clear
      "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

Working...
      X