Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok...say your me...(a scary thought for many around here!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
    And you play 90% of all your axe time in the bedroom. (my talents are
    so far, being overlooked by the media!) I have right now...
    Marshall DSL-2000 50 wt tube head into a 4x12 Kustom cab with
    Celestions, and a Boss GT-8 effects unit.
    If your were me...and you had $2200.00 sitting around doing nothing...
    which Amp head, or preamp or whatever would you BEST spend this
    dough on, if your hero's were Lynch, Howe, EVH? Im shallow, and love
    anything aproaching Zakk, Babylon AD, or Autograph tones!
    Splawn? Mesa Dual Rec? (got my eye on a mint used Rivera "Bonehead" for $1100 right now) To my ears, its killer. Keep in mind
    that i will probably be using the "Clean Channel" as i do now with the
    Marshall DSL. Gain at about 9:30. Volume at 4 (choked down thru
    the Boss GT) Ive heard the Mesa may be too
    much for bedroom volume use? Or is a powerbrake or other attenuator
    needed with some of these heads? Oh, and please private message
    me, if you know of a reputable seller or dealer who can get me into
    a Bogner or Deizel at $2200.00! So if it were your scratch? What to
    buy next? Played thru a Charvel CS HRF with Custom 5 pup.
    or sometimes the blk/yel EVH ART series axe)
    How about hookers and blow?

Seriously, even though they are cool, another high powered tube head is the last thing you need. I'd say you have everything you need with that GT8... except maybe spending $150 on a crate powerblock to run it through.

Comment

I'd either:

A) buy a used Vetta head and sell the gt-8 and Marshall
      or
      B) buy a used Pod Xt Pro and sell the gt-8 and keep the Marshall

Use the extra cash for more GUITARS, cause you can never have enough!

For bedroom playing modeling is the way to go IMO.
      That's where I'm at at the moment too.
      Currently at 78 guitars - Paul Reed Smith, Jackson, Robin, Washburn, Carvin, Peavey, U.S. Masters, G&L, Hamer, Godin, BC Rich, Yamaha, Fender, ESP, Kramer, Cort, Ibanez, Aria Pro & Charvel
      Pics:http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mr.rs/pictures/gear

Comment

Originally posted by shobet View Post
        I'd spend it on a good time and hope I'd remember at least some of it
        Yep, I'll vote for hookers and blow. You're only young once. I think. Well, for a few years at least.
        Last edited by levantin; 07-22-2007, 12:57 PM.
        I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

one of the 1x12" 50W ENGL Combos seem like a good place to start IMHO

Comment

For bedroom - AVOID the Bonehead. GREAT amp, mind you, but LOUD as hell ! I got rid of mine...

Comment

As a follow up...all is great in Bedroom land! Purchased the VHT 2/90/2
              stereo rack amp...(i use just the left channel most of the time into the
              fat bottom 4/12 cab) EVH 5150 III into the 2 crate 2/12 cabs..(right channel) ADA Mp-1 , Use the blue middle channel on the EVH.
              VHT's ( Left side) turned up to 7... GT-8 handling them quite nicely..
              EVH sometimes switched to the left channel ! Brown tone bliss!
              VHT cab is a monster...and im about 85% close to Lynch's You tube
              "Street Fightin Man" Tone! Im happy! Thanks guys

Comment

John & Joe are using common sense, just as I do, which is why I'll probably never own a tube amp. Just not practical for home application. I can get plenty loud if I want to using my Marshall SS amp, 2x12 cab & pedals along with my GNX4 thru my monitors. If I ever get another amp, it'll probably be something along the lines of a Vetta. But, I digress........

Buy yourself another guitar..... you KNOW that's what you REALLY want.
                My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Crap! Don't ya hate it when you throw in your bonehead $.02 before realizing that you're actually responding to an update of an old thread? Fugg it! I'm goin' to bed!!
                  My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Originally posted by mhalsey View Post
                    Crap! Don't ya hate it when you throw in your bonehead $.02 before realizing that you're actually responding to an update of an old thread? Fugg it! I'm goin' to bed!!
                    Don't feel bad dude... There must of been six of us that did the same thing earlier today.

Comment

Hey, im still reading the followups! So someone is learning on old'
                      threads...

Comment

I have the same rig as yours, except I have a Marshall 1960A cab with my DSL50 and GT8... What I would do with 2200$... ???

Well, since I'm still quite happy with that rig (even after all those years), the only thing I would really like to have would be a THD hot plate...

With the money left... Do whatever you want!!! If it must be "rig related"... Get a good guitar! I just added a Godin LG signature to my rig and I'm very impressed of the tones I can get out of the instrument.

Rock on!
                        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

i would get some more guitars with that cash.
                          an evh art series guitar will kill that 2k quick...lol

Comment

I would love to see a shot of this as a bedroom rig, lol...

I bet your house gets crazy loud! I hope you live alone!

Pictures! Pictures!

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                            As a follow up...all is great in Bedroom land! Purchased the VHT 2/90/2
                            stereo rack amp...(i use just the left channel most of the time into the
                            fat bottom 4/12 cab) EVH 5150 III into the 2 crate 2/12 cabs..(right channel) ADA Mp-1 , Use the blue middle channel on the EVH.
                            VHT's ( Left side) turned up to 7... GT-8 handling them quite nicely..
                            EVH sometimes switched to the left channel ! Brown tone bliss!
                            VHT cab is a monster...and im about 85% close to Lynch's You tube
                            "Street Fightin Man" Tone! Im happy! Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by ripley156 View Post
                              I would love to see a shot of this as a bedroom rig, lol...

I bet your house gets crazy loud! I hope you live alone!

Pictures! Pictures!
                              Funny you mention that, cause my wife watches tv 20 feet away, and
                              does NOT complain about the volume! Thats where the Boss GT-8 does
                              its job...taming the VHT down to about 1 1/2 volume instead of 7 where
                              its at. Now if i ever screw up, and unplug the Return, ill probably knock
                              myself out!

Comment

Working...
                              X