Marshall 6100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall 6100?

Who can give me some info on these? I've heard they sound much better than the DSLs and TSLs, but have no first hand experience.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Never tried them personally, but I think they were prone to overheating problems, from what I remember.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks Joe. Anyone else?
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I have not owned one but I played a combo once that sounded amazing!
        Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Owned the head with the EL34s.
          Way better and more flexible than the DSL and better sounding than the DSL & TSL.
          Excellent cleans and cool Marshall bark. My had the top vent window and it got warm but it wasn't brutal. IMHO the best head Marshall has put out since the 800s.
          I am curious on the JVM.
          Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

that is the amp that joe satriani used up untill peavey picked him up.
            granted he always used the boss DS-1 for distortion.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Greg Crowe has a full stack with the brass chassis and blue tolex... it's awesome looking.

However, it sounds like owl poop. I'd pass on one, personally.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Joe_Steeler View Post
                I am curious on the JVM.
                I played one, this weekend. While I dug the distortion amount, simply rolling back the volume, like this one is touted to do, did not yield me a satisfying clean. Even when I switched to both buckers, and rolled it back, the cleans were somewhat doable, but then the level was much lower than when I cranked out the volume knob.
                I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                  that is the amp that joe satriani used up untill peavey picked him up.
                  granted he always used the boss DS-1 for distortion.
                  oh! so he indeed used it? isnt a Overdrive pedal the one to be used in front of a tube preamp? Why use a distortion pedal when the clipping happens in the pedal?
                  Sam

Comment

I've had 3, a Blue one with EL34's, a black one with EL34's and the LM with 5881's. The blue one ('92) had some horrible gawd awful Chinese shit brand EL34's from the factory. I've never heard a set of EL34's sound so bad. The black one ('93) had brown base pre JJ "Teslas" in it and they were awesome, and the 5881 amp had some 5881's in it, I don't know if they were bad or good for 5881's but IMHO all 5881's sound bad in Marshalls.

I changed out the chinese tubes in the blue one and If you'd of heard it you'd think it was a completely different amp. I like them better than the TSL/DSL, they didn't have that hollow 2 dimensional sound that the JCM 2000's seem to have. They have more usable features than the TSL/DSL too IMHO.

Comment

I owned a JCM601 combo, if that counts. Same amp in 1x12 combo form. I loved it, and I also thought it was warmer and more toneful than my TSL100 head. Unfortunately, I had to sell it to buy my Soldano SLO100,,,but I plan on buying one again some day......such a great amp for small rehearsals/get-togethers, etc. Still a tad on the Marshall "fuzzy gain" side,,,,but more musical than the TSL,,,,if that makes sense. Also,,,,the reverb was amazingly luscious,,,like nothing I've experienced before.

Comment

I had the 6100lm stack, and it was awesome, great crunch, great lead, good wide range of cleans, it did a great job, plus with 2 loops, 25/50/100 power and good bottom end at low volume, it was a winner.

Only sold it as someone offered me heaps for it, so i sold out, but a great amp indeed!

Comment

Just the combo's, but most marshalls combo's have that issue if you dont have a fan blowing on them.

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          Never tried them personally, but I think they were prone to overheating problems, from what I remember.

Comment

They are great sounding amps, and defintly sound alot better then the DSL and TSL's.

As to the amps.

I have heard the blue ones with the brass chassis, the super limited edition sound like ass. I have heard this more then once.

I owned the blue one with the regular chassis and EL34's and it sounded great. Kinda regret selling that one.

I have also owned a black LM which had the 5881's, this one is better for metal as you get more bass with the 5881's. Plus the Lead channel was changed and they added more gain.

LIke someone said, with these amps, if they have the stock tubes, change them as fast as possible and do a proper bias.

Comment

Same here...like Siggy.

I owned a blue EL34 version and regret the day I sold it. Nice amp, good versitility and a boat load of features for the day (reduced power switch, MIDI, 7 (SEVEN) pre-amp tubes to goof off with, loop, independent EQ's.

Then a couple years later, I got a 6L6 version and wasn't so thrilled with it. Maybe it was just THAT (individual) amp, but it was hissing and boomy and the MIDI went out.

I would love to find a dusty old EL34 version at an Estate sale!

Comment

Working...
                              X