Another power conditioner question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another power conditioner question..

I realise this topic comes up a lot but..

I was wondering If I really needed a rackmount power conditioner.
    I could get hold of a Furman FURMAN PL-PLUS E II for 240 euros second hand (or buy one new for 275)

I was wondering if the PL-PLUS E II is exactly the same as the cheaper FURMAN PL-8E II but without the leds that tell you the voltage level? From what I can tell from the Furman site, that's the only difference...

The non plus model is only 205 euros new so I'm wondering if there's more than simple leds making a 70 euro price difference?

I'm a home player and my rig consists of a few "cheapish" preamps (Piranha, JMP-1, Rockmaster and an ENGL 620) a Peavey 50/50, Rocktron Patchmate and an Intellifex.

Would I be best off saving money by buying something like this? http://www.thomann.de/ie/phonic_ppc_9000_e.htm or is this too feature-less to bother with?

Basically those are ALL just glorified rack mounted power strips providing circuit breaker shut down if the units draw too much, or get a spike over some amount of voltage. Not much difference in them other than what you have described. Lights, LED visual readouts of voltage (most are off calibrated I've found anyways).

Minimum safety really, but for home use, probably ok. Remember, you still get these issues at home at times too, it's just better than what happens at clubs, so it's really a matter of the safety level "you" feel ok with and the equipment value etc.

A true power conditioner will prevent equipment damaging brownouts (the most common damaging issue) by keeping voltage at a 110-120 (or whatever your local voltage is) level. Units like the Furman AC1215/1220 keep a constant voltage or shuts down... THAT is the key to real safety. Sadly, they are pretty large dollar things.

Comment

Cleveland Metal is right they are glorified powerstrips. If price is an issue, I say go with the cheapest that provided what you need, and upgrade late when you have more $$$.
      www.myspace.com/demonboundmusic

Originally posted by Endrik
      the more you masturbate the less you need to bang the hottest chicks

Comment

Thanks guys, tempted not to even bother with one at all now and just plug into a power strip.

Comment

Sorry but they are not glorified power strips. I have a few different Furman's. They have so many freakin' models it's hard to keep straight. But even their lower end models ($150ish) offer better surge protection than a cheap power strip. I have had one of those Furman's save my amp before when two other guys plugged into power strips got shit fried.

For my guitar rack I have Power Factor Pro R unit. It makes a big difference. It is even audible in some circumstances. Somehow that thing "cleans up" the power. I've compared running with and without it in some environments that had all sorts of damn lighting and transformer noise - the Power Factor Pro R was very noticeable in that case. I have not had a power loss or surge since I put this in my rack so I can't verify the damage protection from firsthand experience.

If you are going to go the power strip route at least get the Monster one ($75 or so) - I have several of those and they are audibly better than some $9.95 special. They too can greatly reduce random line noise. I have these (or the previous model like it):

http://www.monstercable.com/pro_audi...%20Pro%20Power

If I were buying anything for a rack today, I would get this one:

http://www.monstercable.com/pro_audi...%20Pro%20Power

or one of the 2 space units if I had the room.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I've opened a few. Just the typical MOVs and sometime some RF filter stuff, nothing that isn't in a decent power strip for PC or Audio systems.

I have an expensive ETA (nice stuff really) with readout and rack lights. Nothing special there inside.

NOTHING will protect you from brownouts other than a true conditioner. These are not that or even close.

I'm thinking the Monster is a nice one with extra filtering and isolation blah blah. But, over hyped. Quality PC or home audio/home theatre strips are right there.

Biggest issue that need addressed are low voltage conditions that force equipment to suddenly draw high amperage and that is what kills stuff and blows internal fuses.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
              Biggest issue that need addressed are low voltage conditions that force equipment to suddenly draw high amperage and that is what kills stuff and blows internal fuses.
              The Furman unit I have in my guitar rack supposedly has the ability to serve up to 45 amps for those situations.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
              X