Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressed Amps?

Guys,
    I have heard the term compression thrown around alot when describing different amps. I was wondering if some of y'all could elaborate on this. What exactly does that term mean when reffering to an amps tone? I am slightly familiar with compression pedals... What are some amps that have heavy compression and what are amps that don't? Thanks

When refered to amps, its often to tube amps, due to when tube amps tending to compress the signal slightly, especially when the tubes are overdriven.

Comment

yeah, but what does that compression do? I really dont think I understand the term...what does it sound like? how does it effect your playing...can you give me some examples of an amp that has lots of compression verses one that doesn't, so i can kindof get an example? thanks

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_level_compression

Basically, I believe it just makes your sound tighter. Although I haven't really experimented with compressors enough to really make an informed call about this.

Speaking of which, has anyone tried out the Alesis 3630 Compressor?

Comment

Originally posted by craprapx2001 View Post
          yeah, but what does that compression do? I really dont think I understand the term...what does it sound like? how does it effect your playing...can you give me some examples of an amp that has lots of compression verses one that doesn't, so i can kindof get an example? thanks
          As mentioned in the previosu post, it tightens up your sound by bringing up the lows and brigning down the highs. Amps dont add much, and you have to know what it sounds like to recognize it. Mostp layers use a compressor pedal in the studio. The compression created byt ube amps can vary slighty. As for sound, it mikes it a bit tighter. A classic example of an overdriven amp creating compression is hte sound of the Vox AC30 o na lot of Queen and U2 songs. The song Synchronicity II (sp?) by The Police is also a good example of a heavily compressed toen with a little distortion. I would go to a guitar center and get a compressor to play with and see how you like the sound

Comment

Awesome help guys... so basically a compression pedal will do the same thing then? that'll save me cash!

Comment

I use a DBX 266xl in my rack cuz it evens out the output of all my strings on my guitar, so my bass strings don't drown out the rest of my strings etc... Note that I use 10's, and the DBX hasn't change my tone at all.
              I love admins!

Comment

Originally posted by craprapx2001 View Post
                Awesome help guys... so basically a compression pedal will do the same thing then? that'll save me cash!
                The same thing and a LOT more compression

Comment

Working...
                X