No announcement yet.

Solo Boost Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Channel 2 of my 3Ch Triple, set a tad louder than channel 3. I use the "solo boost" control in my cover band, though, where channel two is set for a more vintage-style tone.
    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
      This question is for players who are in a 2 guitar metal band and that don't have a soundman that boosts their solos at the mixing board.
      Do you use boost for your solo's??
      If so.. what is your complete set up?
      If not.. how are you heard?
      Yes. absolutly MUST boost for solos!

I am in a two guitar classic rock band, but we play with hard rock type sounds...think '80s metal. We VERY rarely will play somewhere that has a PA, so NO sound guy. Most of our gigs are at parties or seedy bars that we bring a vocal/kick drum only PA to. My complete rig is...

Crybaby wah>
      Carvin Legacy or Marshall 2205 or Laney Pro Tube 30>
      '70s Marshall 4x12 with Greenbacks
      DOD BiFet Preamp pedal in the loop for solo boost.

Other guitar players rig is...

MXR Dynacomp (only used for clean I think)>
      CryBaby Wah>
      Soldano SLO-100>
      '70s Marshall 4x12 with Greenbacks or Carvin Legacy 4x12 with V30s
      Passive footswitchable volume control in the loop for rythm cut (disengage for full voulme for leads)

Comment

MXR micro amp on a tube head..I've used a ProCo Rat with good results too. If its a rack setup.. I just add a preset.

However, if you are not mixed equally to begin with...or keep your levels equal throughout the night, its pretty tough to balance and you end up fighting for more volume from the stage.

Comment

Originally posted by charveljunkie View Post
          I went to a 3 head head set up years ago with a Bradshw switching system. After 2 years of searching for the perfect head or preamp I have gone back to a 3 head setup with a Sound Sculpture Headtrip. I found an amp to die for-(my taste)-Diezel Vh4 but I'am not about to pay $4k for a head. That is the only thing I have found so far. But to me nothing beats a hot rodder marshalls.
          I used a Headtrip, Dmc switcherLine 6 echo pro, line 6 modulation pro, black cat univibe, swamp thang univibe-Pedals are housed in the rack, Tremonti wah and a Dmc ground control pro pedal board. I'am only using a 1981 Marshall Jcm 800 50 watt for the crunch and a 1980 Marshall Jmp 50 watt head for leads at the moment. Still looking for another Marshall for clean.
          If I were to play in a two guitar band setup again today w/o a soundman.. I would likely run a two head setup with an ABC switcher with one of the heads being a triple channel to handle the clean and rhythm as well as an occasional lead setting.

Comment

this thread is really interesting especially since i just started work in a two guitarist band and i need something to help my solos cut through. Anyone know anything about the MXR Micro amp? Im using a two channel 1981 Marshall JCM800
            My Guitars
            Hohner HW-200 (Natrual Grain)
            Slammer By Hamer XP-1 Standard (Wine Red)
            Kramer 1984 Custom (Bullseye Black)
            Squier Affinity Series P-Bass (Black)
            Epiphone Les Paul Classic (Black)
            Takamine EG531SSC (Black)
            Kramer Vanguard S-440S
            Kramer Proaxe Standard (Black Sparkle)
            Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom (Camo)
            Kramer F-1000 (Black)
            Ibanez RG-370 (Urban Digital Camo)

Comment

The micro amp came out in very early 80's to do just what some want to achieve in this thread.. as a fairly flat spectrum clean boost. If you run it hot enough.. it will add gain and it adds an audible boost..in fact it can become quite a 'hot' signal, ie; insta feedback. It works much the same as when Yngwie used the DOD250 or his DOD 308 now. (308's are very cheap now)
              I ran it with my Marshall in the 80's during solos quite often... before that, I used to use a script logo Distortion + that I had along with a SS amp. I ran that with my Marshall during solos one summer and I found it 'ok'.. I thought it colored my sound to much for my tastes. (not to mention if the distortion knob increased in gain from your foot bumping the level up by accident..quite a nasty surprise)
              I didn't use a wah back then... but I ran a chorus in a shallow mode quite a bit as it added mids and a tape echo.
              http://www.activemusician.com/item--MC.M133

The best option for clear cut vol increase is to run a separate amp for solos or another channel setup for boost.
              If you are running an attenuator, you could probably wire in a footswitchable boost that bridges an on/off between levels. We used to just reach back and tweak the knob on the Altair a notch or two for solos when we jammed in two guitar bands. They probably make one now with such a function.

Comment

so youre saying the microamp will just make my amp feedback uncontrolably even when using a Boss NS2? I would get another amp or something for a solo boost but thats not realistic
                My Guitars
                Kramer Vanguard S-440S
                Kramer F-1000 (Black)

Comment

I've tried a few OD pedals going to my input and as someone else said even with the output set higher on the pedal all I seem to get is more gain not volume.
                  This seems to be a bit of a problem in my band at some gigs from what people said afterwards. My brother and I are the 2 guitarists and carry our gear together so we are limited space wise so a 2 head system is a no go. I'll be building another boost pedal that might do the trick too.
                  I'm picking up a pod 2 to run as a pre amp so maybe with the footswitch I'll be able to set up a good boost.

Comment

I'm using a Digitech Tone Driver pedal. I keep the gain low, and the level up, it works great as a boost. Also, I have it in my effects loop, not in front of the amp.
                    Fender tuner, DOD Chorus, Digitech Digidelay, Tone Driver in the loop.

Comment

the only think is that i already use an MXR Zakk Wylde OD in front of my amp to get my tone and for some reason I just feel weird about putting a second OD pedal in my setup. Would it be too much to have two OD pedals?
                      My Guitars
                      Kramer Vanguard S-440S
                      Kramer F-1000 (Black)

Comment

Its by no means uncontrollable..it has a knob. I'm saying if you run the level of boost high enough, like maxed or close to it..if you are running pretty loud as it is..you may have some feedback problems. I usually ran it about 5 to 7.

Comment

Originally posted by demeyes View Post
                          I've tried a few OD pedals going to my input and as someone else said even with the output set higher on the pedal all I seem to get is more gain not volume. .
                          That means your preamp has hit maximum effective volume. On most amps you don't have to turn the preamp to 10 to hit that. In fact, with most I've used it's more like around 6 or 7 - YMMV. Once you are at max volume out of your preamp stage, no boost pedal or overdrive will make you any louder. All you can get is more distortion and compression at that point.
                          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I wish I could help ya Jg, but... I use a Vetta and we both know how to boost a lead with that
                            www.myspace.com/madeaband
                            www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

Also, without really changing your tone:

Get a good quality volume pedal. Learn your pedal's throw. Put it in the loop of your amp. Play with it backed off about 25%. At all times, except for solos, you'd use it like this. Solo time, set it to full volume. Voila, instant solo boost.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Originally posted by Robotechnology View Post
                                Also, without really changing your tone:

Get a good quality volume pedal. Learn your pedal's throw. Put it in the loop of your amp. Play with it backed off about 25%. At all times, except for solos, you'd use it like this. Solo time, set it to full volume. Voila, instant solo boost.
                                If you get the Boss pedal, it has a minimum volume control so you can dial in exactly what you want for a boost/rhythm.
                                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                                X