Boss ME-50 vs. individual pedals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss ME-50 vs. individual pedals?

Has anyone bought or tried out a Boss ME-50 multi-effects pedal? I'm not interested in amp modeling, so a GT-8 doesn't hold much appeal for me. The ME-50, on the other hand, doesn't use models. I'd really like to find something that has a good metal distortion, EQ section, onboard tuner, noise reduction and delay, to run into a tube power amp. Right now, I use individual devices for all of those things, and it works fine, but I'm trying to downsize...and a 40lb pedalboard isn't helping.
    sigpic

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
    Has anyone bought or tried out a Boss ME-50 multi-effects pedal? I'm not interested in amp modeling, so a GT-8 doesn't hold much appeal for me. The ME-50, on the other hand, doesn't use models. I'd really like to find something that has a good metal distortion, EQ section, onboard tuner, noise reduction and delay, to run into a tube power amp. Right now, I use individual devices for all of those things, and it works fine, but I'm trying to downsize...and a 40lb pedalboard isn't helping.

I am interested too.
    The few things I want to know about the ME-50 are:

Does it have a hard bypass feature?
    Is it better to put it in front of a clean amp or in the loop?

Comment

I have one that I run in the loops of my 5150 and my B-52
      I never use the distortions but they have a lot of 'varieties" of distortion on there.
      the delays are pretty good, the chorus, flange, phase are all very good.
      the compressor is pretty good and so is the Wah.
      the only problem I have with this this thing is that you can't wire it so the effects are split in front and in the loop simultaneously.
      so if I want to use the wah I have to put it in front and that basically kills any of the other effects that I would normally use in the loop.
      this is the only effect pedal I have so that bugs the shit out of me.
      Now if I had a seperate wah pedal and a separate compressor (that I could run in front) I would rate this unit pretty highly.
      it's got an on board tuner, it's got a whammy pedal it's got that effect that Robin Trower use to use all the time (I forgot the name of it) etc.
      for the price it's a pretty good unit you can get a lot of cool sounds out of it.
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Distortion and delay are must-have for me. My search for amps that have footswitchable loops for running delay is not going very well, because that means I can't run a Hush in the loop if the loop is off except during solos. My current board is wireless base > tuner > distortion/multi-effects > EQ > Hush > delay > tube power amp. Some of the units require their own funky power adapter or have attached cords, so that means running a power strip (Furman PlugLock), meaning additional weight. My current multi-effects is nice and all, but it doesn't have a tuner or gate. Thus the need for something small but all-inclusive.

I have played through PODs, Digitech RPs and a J-Station, and none really do it for me, leading me to believe that digital modelers are not my thing. My brother has a DOD FX-7 which sounds surprisingly good, but then I'd be right back to buying something old and used. The ME-50 is still in production, which is something out of the ordinary for me. It's either that or an amp with those features built in (Rocktron VH160R anyone?), which means Chinese solid state technorogy.

Various reviews have stated that there are a lot of distortions, including the infamous Metal Zone, and that the delay section is more or less on par with the DD-6. Does that seem fairly accurate?
        sigpic

Comment

I thought the distortions and overdrives were horrible on the ME-50. Everything else was on it was pretty good though.

Comment

One other thing: when switching patches on boss me50, I've been told there's a silent gap (delay).
            You may wanna look into that as well.

Comment

I really dislike the ME50.
              The distortions sound synthetic and the other effects strike me as below usual Boss quality as well.
              I'd definitely go for separate pedals.
              Hey Nonny Nonny Milord!
              http://www.monsterjoe.be

Comment

I don't know man. I'm in your boat here but I don't think you'll be into the ME-50.
                I own the GT 8 and hate it. Hate maybe strong but it fits how I feel. The ME-50 I played with before I got the GT 8. I agree with the comment as the effects don't sound BOSS level. I tested the ME-50 right next to a CE-20 Boss Chorus and the CE-20 sounded much better. The delay between stomps is there as well. You get a pause when you switch patches. I don't know if there is a setting like the GT 8 to correct or change that.

All in one pedal boards from Boss and most other companies are not up to Pedal standards. You would think they would be better due to not having to wire them all up with all these patch cables, not all these different power supplies and such.

I'm looking into TC Electronic's G major and G sharp. I'd rather have a unit like my GT 8 without the Modeling and OD effects in it. Just effects so I can put them in the Effects loop where they belong. But with the G series you have to buy a midi footswitch to control the damn thing. It should come with one that matches it perfectly.

The Price of the ME-50 and the GT8 are very attractive. I had a long conversation with BOSS about my GT 8 not sounding like I want it to and there pedals sounding way better. They told me it's an effects processor and there not for everyone.

I gave up on the GT 8 and went back to pedals. Rethink your pedals and get rid of the ones that you really don't need. Thats what I did. I now just use Chorus(CE-20) Delay(DD-20) BBe Sonic Maximizer in the effects loop and a BBE Grean Screamer in front of the amp. I'm gonna add a Nice Wah pedal and maybe a volume pedal. I also want to pick up the RV-5 Reverb pedal for the effects loop. It has the ability to be setup in +4dbu so it works correctly in the loop. I discovered effects that output in -20dbu don't work right and can cause problems. Those kind of pedals are designed to be out in front guitar level not preamp level.

Good luck with your search, there is not much out there for what your looking for. Modeling sucks in my opnion. I'm a purest and don't want my tone altered so I can have convience. Fuck that.

Dan

Comment

If I was gigging I would definitely go the pedal route (I may actually sell this thing pretty soon)
                  it is a very cost effective unit but the effects are just"pretty good"
                  If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Originally posted by kmanick View Post
                    If I was gigging I would definitely go the pedal route (I may actually sell this thing pretty soon)
                    it is a very cost effective unit but the effects are just"pretty good"
                    Well, I wouldn't get rid of my existing pedals, but I'm trying to balance practicality with convenience. We are generally dealing with whatever mix the venue sound guy dishes out, and the best we can hope for is that every instrument can be heard. I want awesome tone, but getting five minutes for a sound check makes it pretty impossible anyway. If I could dial in some presets, tweak them a little to suit the venue, and get it "close enough," that would do.
                    sigpic

Comment

The only mulit efftects unit which I have tried that gives real BOSS pedal tone is the old Roland GP-8 single space rack unit.

Comment

Working...
                      X