schmutz.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• schmutz.......

SCHMUTZ: Playing with too much effects processing live.

OK.. I'll admit it. Because using effects is so easy with the Vetta I really lay on the SCHMUTZ bigtime. Reverb, delay, chorus, double tracker, compressors, stomp boxes.. heck.. I use all kinds of effects.

Even with my Stiletto I am using delay, chorus, flange and wah.

I am DETERMINED to go with less SCHMUTZ once the SLO gets here.
    I want to throw a volume pedal in the loop for solo boost and a wah pedal and tuner out in front.
    I noticed at band rehearsal this past Sunday using my Stiletto that I played the majority of the rehearsal with no effects on at all. The band sounded tighter and it was a lot clearer. I didn't seem to miss the SCHMUTZ at all.
    So.. how many of you will admit you lay on the Schmutz too much. Even at home when you are noodling around.

I admit it.

When I was realy into shoe gazing bands, it was a must: 11 effects at once on the GP-16 to do Polar Bear by Ride. The turning point was seeing the Verve live way before they were famous ina small bar. The guitar player was so stoned, he barely did a thing and the processor did everything and it didn't matter.

I am down to 1 analog delay and a phaser. Reverb is for surfers.

Comment

i am the opposite, john. i have a rack with an effects processor, a noise gate a tuner and a power conditioner. it is all wired into my stereo effects loop as a wet/dry set up where one cab gets the effects and the other cab get the dry signal. my pedal board has my midi switcher....all the effects patches are programmed per song in the set list. it looks cooler than hell....it sounds cooler than hell...

but i ALWAYS have it bypass mode!!!!! the only "effect" active in my rack is the noise suppressor!!!!

i use an EVH phase 90 and a VOX wah up front....the phase 90 NEVER gets used, the wah is used on 2 songs!!!!

i wish i didn't LOVE my dry tone so much!! HAHAHAHA
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

^I like it dry too. I use a little reverb and delay for leads and chorus on the cleans - that's about it. ISP Decimator on at all times.

Comment

Im a complete Whore on the GT-8! Im using the "Sub EQ, Pitch Shifter
          for ultra low end, 2xChorus, Delay (900ms with just a touch of feedback
          and 1 dying repeat, just like im at the SuperBowl!) EQ, Noise Gate,
          Cab sym,8/12's with SM 57's dual miked) Slicer effect is cool sometimes,
          and the end all for me, is ive figured out a 90% "Cathedral" effect that
          doesnt have me touching my volume knob!! Hows that for a cheatin
          Whore effect overkiller? LOL Heck, im even thinking of puttin my
          old Digitech RP-16 in the Chain! 25 effect at ONCE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

In my circle of friends, I am actually known as "Sahara"

And one of them is known as "Atlantis"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I use almost no effects on the Vetta. Some of the lead patches get a little dealy and reverb. That's it.

Comment

When I practice at home, my sound is DRIPPING WET with effects.
                I actually have a patch on my GNX-1 titled HEAVYFX. It's sick. Delay for days, compression, chorus, reverb... it's sounds killer through headphones, but sucks ass through the amp.
                Live though is a different story, a noise gate, a touch of reverb and little bit of delay and I'm good to go.
                -Rick

Comment

Congrats on the SLO clone John! I wanted that bad and I am glad you ended up with it. Lets here a review when you get it.
                  Last edited by Firebird V; 03-02-2007, 06:03 PM.

Comment

I was never into the schmutz much. But since getting the Vetta, its nice to know the schmutz is there, should I decide to apply it. The schmutz on the Vetta is pretty nice though, so sometimes it's hard to not use a generous amount. Though I still use the schmutz judiciously, I've found some very cool ones that almost make a riff a riff.
                    www.myspace.com/madeaband
                    www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

Whatever fits the song. If it needs the extra reverb/delay and chorus wash for the atmospheric effect, then it needs it. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

The trick is being good enough to process a live sound so it fits in the live setting. Any dope can lather fx on all the tracks in the studio and call it done, but you have to know what you're doing in a live situation to make it work on only one instrument.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

My clean sound is very schmutzy - I've got a lead tone with reverb and delay but my one clean sound really has the works, plus a reverb going into next week, it really gets too much sometimes but it's great for Holdsworth type volume swells... which I don't do often enough to justify the sound. So that's my schmutz confession!
                        - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

I guess that's the good thing about being lazy. When I play, I just want to play and not fiddle around. I dime all the controls and it's just the guitar, cord and Marshall. I play in a room where if I crank it up enough, I'll get some natural reverb going by getting the walls shaking.

I've bought effects (10 years still new in the box) stuff but just haven't gotten around to learning how to use them yet.

Comment

I have a phaser and a chorus. I use the chorus in two songs, the phaser in one...
                            I like it dry.
                            Hey Nonny Nonny Milord!
                            http://www.monsterjoe.be

Comment

I just play along to my synths and drum machine, so it depends on the vibe I'm BS'ing and the guitar. With a solidbody I use lots of stuff, but with 175 I go clean, maybe a little reverb. Just opened the Heritage 555 about an hour ago, I guess she'll pull double duty for a few weeks!
                              Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Working...
                              X