First let me say, that im a rookie...and have only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First let me say, that im a rookie...and have only

played through (heres my lifetime bio!) A Fender Dual Showman in HS)
    Then on to about 3 Crate SS 2x12 combo amps, from 84' to about 92'.
    Then purchased a Peavey RM CS 200 SS amp, and used an ART SGX
    2000 and then later a Digitech RP-12.
    Ive just recently moved up' to a Marshall DSL-2000 50 watt head
    into a Kustom 4x12 cab with Celestion 65 watt speakers in it.
    So, with that.. Should i even post anything?? LOL
    Ok..lately ive been reading all i can, and listening to MP'3's on the net
    of almost everything. (Uberschall with George Lynch is close to the ultimate sound bite for me)
    Seems lately that i get a magical (for me anyway) tone out of my
    DSL, and i think to myself, "this is KILLER!" Then a day or two later,
    that tone has somehow changed, and is different??
    Is that the way it will always be? The "Tube Gremlins" changing little
    things that drive you crazy? And how much does the "Room" itself
    change the tone that you love? I know that just moving my Brother in
    laws Marshall DSL 100 (silver anniversary #65 of #200) off of a tiled floor
    and into a carpetted room, made it 300 % better sounding! It rips now,
    and has a brutal tone.
    Havent heard much on how a "Room" can change everything, with of
    course PUPs, and strings, and body material all adding up to slight variations of "Tone". Your thoughts?
    Im close to buying a Voodoo MP-1 hot rodded, but will this make me
    'happy if im after the Uber tone? Thanks for reading my long winded
    post! But i love to ramble on...

the room has a LOT to do with how an amp sounds, period. a tiled floor will cause more reflections of the sound and will change what you hear. a carpeted room will dampen the sound and alow you to hear more of the amp itself, rather than the reflections which can muddy a sound up.

neither the DSL or the MP-1 (modded or stock) will give you and Uber tone though. the only amp that will? an Uber! then again, there are like 4 different revisions of the Uber i think, and all sound slightly different. so no, you wont get an Uber tone out of an MP-1 or a Marshall. youll have to buy an Uber for that my good sir!
    My metal band Lucian Scott
    Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
    Available Now!
    New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Rooms have a tremendous amount to do with the tone of amps. My Basement drives me nuts... Totally a bummer.

We used to play in an old meat locker, with metal insulated walls, meathooks and drains in the concrete floor and that sucked as it was too live and sounded like ass. But, had interesting vibes in there.

We moved to another room there that was carpeted on ALL surfaces and that sucked cuz it was mega dead sounding and that place semed like it just sucked all the tone out of the guitars. Felt weirdly quiet or suffocating being in that room in general.

So, I dunno. There has to be a medium and that will prolly be cool. Trying to get my basement that way by using acoustic panels etc. to chill the sound waves from the concrete walls...

Comment

Drats! There goes $5K ! "-)) Thanks

Comment

I've been playing the Marshall since 91' and various other Marshalls before that and I have to adjust settings for nearly every room I've played, I also have to adjust my settings when humidity changes due to the sound traveling through the moisture in the air! You'll forever be changing things if you play out alot or have a practice space without climate control. Part of the fun!
          Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Working...
          X