No announcement yet.

Need preamp advice for VHT 2150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Below are songs recorded with Marshall JMP-1..

This is nothing but a JMP-1 and a Peavey 120/120..the gain is set to "15".."20" being the highest setting..

Recorded in '96 live in a studio basement..

My old VH trib band..Virtual Halen...I'm Michael Anthony

http://clevelandmetalzone.com/mp3/doctor.mp3

http://clevelandmetalzone.com/mp3/dance.mp3

http://clevelandmetalzone.com/mp3/i'mtheone.mp3

THIS is from my demo in the mp3 section, recorded w/ cheap mic on a Tascam cassette 4 trk..RYTHYM is the Uberschall w / gain maxed live with drummer..intro LEAD track is ALL JMP-1 w/ gain on "20" ..the only stomp I use is a Dunlop 535 Q set in the middle position..

Scapegoat
    http://clevelandmetalzone.com/evilut...egoat_demo.mp3

The only BBE to get is the BBE 422 IMO, and it works very well with my Marshall rack..

The BBE is NOT a one size fits all unit..it'll sound great with some amps such as a 5150, Crate BV 120 and my Marshall..but will sound like total shit in a Recto, most boutique amps including my Uber..my experience.

It's what you do with what you got that matters too..

Bill Z Bub
    Last edited by horns666; 02-28-2007, 12:51 AM.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

If you "have" to get a BBE, look for a cheap 422a. It's about the nicest sounding one for guitar and they are the cheapest. The later ones are a bit fizzy for guitar, although perfect for PA and recording work.

I've used a BBE for the JMP-1 and it was helpful. Soon as I bought more aggressive preamps, the BBE went to the shelf.

The Voodo Lab suggestion is a great one. I'd also look to ENGL 520, they are pretty cheap as well andsound better than the JMP-1 with a bit more grit.

Comment

+1 on the BBE 422i. I have one of those also. The only difference between the 882 and the 422, is that the 882 has balanced line outs. If you are doing any recording with your rig, the 882 is recommended. The 422 will do the job well in most cases.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Big sonic diff beween the 422 and 882. Big... THey changed the software after the 422 and it's become considerably more sizzley sounding, no matter how you dial it. 422 is cheap, and sound best to my ears w/guitar.

General recording and PA, go with e newer one tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
            Big sonic diff beween the 422 and 882. Big... THey changed the software after the 422 and it's become considerably more sizzley sounding, no matter how you dial it. 422 is cheap, and sound best to my ears w/guitar.

General recording and PA, go with e newer one tho.

This is bible according to John and Bill..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The Hafler/Bogner Triple Giant and VHT2150 was the best setup I have had to date. Sorry I got rid of it. I was looking for a lil more bottom end and I should have added a Engl 570 to it.

The Soldano SP77 sounded really really good too FWIW
              I keep the bible in a pool of blood
              So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Howdy,

Well, 1 month later I have my rack completed.
                This has taken my sound to a new level, I'm really pleased.
                Thanks for peoples input on this post.
                I'm new to the midi foot controller
                world and setting up the X-15 is going to take awhile.
                Here's some pics, Cheers.

Comment

Cool 2150! Congrats!

Some comparable things we have huh?

Comment

Congrats..your going to be pretty happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                      If you like Marshalls, you'd probably dig the JMP-1. If you like 80s tones like Extreme - you'd probably dig the MP-1. Either would be a good choice, my personal preference is the MP-1 out of those two.
                      +1 to all

Comment

Working...
                      X