Do you know whats nice???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you know whats nice???

Just plugging straight into your amp. Leaving out all effects, boost pedals every fucking thing and just playing.
    It's very nice to just hear your guitar and amp tone.

Dan

Sometimes, yeah it is. Other times, it's nice to experiment with effects beyond the standard Boston/Floyd/HairMetal Chorus/Delay settings.

Flangers and Phasers are my favorite. The things you can do with those....
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yes.

I love a dry sound, where its very raw and in-your face. You get alot better with your playing. When you dont have delay or reverb, you can hear the individual notes better, and you can hear what your sucking at, and then you can work to correct it, to make your playing nice and polished. I used to use Delay all the time. All my sweeps and alt picking sounded wonderful, and I thought that I was actually good at the guitar. Then. . one day. . I turned it off. . . Reality can be very harsh at times.

As for modulations like Flanger, Phaser, and Chorus....I never cared much for them. I hate chorus with a passion. . Flanger and Phaser can be cool though, but I would probably never use them unless I was doing some Van Halen covers.

As for boosts. . sometimes they are a necessary evil. Compression makes you sound better, but not actually be better. It fills in the gaps in your playing, so you dont have to fill them in with better technique. They can also add fuzz and noise to your sound, or cut bass (some pedals). But. . sometimes they are necessary to get any sort of sustain out of some amps. I'd rather the compression come from the amp rather than a pedal, so it sounds more natural.

I also dig looking at the floor and seeing just a cable, instead of switches, pedals, lights, leds, velcro, patch cables, power cables, and lots of road dirt.

Comment

Ahh the adult sound. Once you get into this sound, start opening your wallet. The vintage boutique amps, fenders, plexis, soldanos bogners and the rest.its endless. I think the base to any great guitar sound is a clean tone that sounds pretty to the player. being able to actually play clean and with style is so important.

Comment

Yeah, but then you miss that huge collosium sound! With about 5% delay
          at 870ms, with one repeat! For me, its that fame i never had! LOL
          I dig a huge stadium sound, and "Dry" just dont cut it for me.
          Although when i hear an Uberschall rippin...i just about pee my pants,
          so im two faced!

Comment

That is the way I play 90% of the time. Guitar-cable-amp.
            Sometimes I don't feel like fiddling with all the stomps and settings and shit, BTW eating up your tone and preoccupying you with nonsense.

If I HAVE to have an FX, a touch of delay, maybe chorus. That's it.
            Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe_Steeler View Post
              That is the way I play 90% of the time. Guitar-cable-amp.
              Sometimes I don't feel like fiddling with all the stomps and settings and shit, BTW eating up your tone and preoccupying you with nonsense.

If I HAVE to have an FX, a touch of delay, maybe chorus. That's it.
              Works well for Angus. And I love his sound. never even changes a pup.

Comment

I always go guitar>cable>amp... But, then the Time delay and stuff is between the preamp and power amp, hehe...

I like a touch of slapback for leads, but I do go to the straight through loop / bypass for rhythm stuff.

Comment

I don't use any effects. That's probably because I used a few cheaper ones that absolutely made my nice tone into a watery vortex of tone toilet bowl hell.

If I were to try anything again, I'd probably look at a decent reverb or a zVex Fuzz Probe.

Until I get motivated to throw $$$ at that, it's all my Model 4 into my Univalve.

Comment

Working...
                  X